Notifications
Clear all

General Advice!

MemberMember
(@conorcoughlanmu)

Posted : 01/06/2014 2:58 pm

Hi all.

I'm new here so forgive me if I'm not doing this right, ha!

I'm 17 years old and have had acne for roughly about 3 years now. However, it has come and gone over the years. My acne has always been the same - always around the chin, and mouth. Literally everywhere else on my face is clear.

I feel like I am doing everything in my power to have clear, nice skin. I work out, eat incredibly healthy, drink lot's and lot's of water, wash my face and moisturize morning and night and exfoliate once a week. I limit myself to 50 grams of added sugar per day as I've come to the conclusion that it's damn near impossible to cut it out completely. I also drink 2 or 3 cups of green tea a day.

I'm not sure what else I could possibly be doing.

My acne has faded over the years but seems to always come back. The times it has gone away have been A: When I was using green tea and putting it on my face. (I was also smoking during this time). And B: On vacation and eating incredibly unhealthy, as well as smoking.

I am currently using Epiduo as given to me by my doctor. I am just over the month period and it did start to get better, however the last few weeks have been awful. Most people say it works around the 1 month period, so I am going to keep going with it and see where I get.

In the meantime, does anybody have any dieting tips? Or anything in regards to what I have stated?

Thanks!

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 01/08/2014 7:10 pm

50 grams of added sugar is far too much. The CDC recommends a limit of 25 grams, which is probably too much. We really shouldn't have any added sugar. And I wonder how healthy you can really be eating if you find it hard to consume less. Your cells won't take in sugar if they are already full, but your body will keep trying to get it out of your blood stream by pumping out more insulin. Excess insulin means excess hormones. And it pro-inflammatory. But it does it because sugar in the blood stream is very damaging. It ages you by reducing elasticity of all your tissues including your skin (wrinkles) and, along with high blood pressure, is the cause of the arterial damage that your body struggles to repair with cholesterol that then leads to plaque, clogged arteries, heart disease & stroke. Every time you consume more sugar than your cells will take in, you cause damage. It also feeds cancer cells which are covered in insulin receptors.

Thread about the state of our 'health' care system that begins with a report on the toxicity of sugar:

This thread is primarily about fructose malabsorption, but has info on how the body processes all kinds of sugars.

General advice:

"What you want is a healthy lifestyle with natural circadian cycle, stress management, physical activity and a nutrient dense, anti-inflammatory blood sugar stabilizing diet habits that don't include anything you have an intolerance for."

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 01/08/2014 7:22 pm

Have you tried changing your toothpaste to see if it's breaking you out?

MemberMember
(@conorcoughlanmu)

Posted : 01/09/2014 3:20 pm

I don't really use any specific toothpaste. I just use whatever's hanging around and I've always been breaking out, so it can't be that.

50 grams of added sugar is far too much. The CDC recommends a limit of 25 grams, which is probably too much. We really shouldn't have any added sugar. And I wonder how healthy you can really be eating if you find it hard to consume less. Your cells won't take in sugar if they are already full, but your body will keep trying to get it out of your blood stream by pumping out more insulin. Excess insulin means excess hormones. And it pro-inflammatory. But it does it because sugar in the blood stream is very damaging. It ages you by reducing elasticity of all your tissues including your skin (wrinkles) and, along with high blood pressure, is the cause of the arterial damage that your body struggles to repair with cholesterol that then leads to plaque, clogged arteries, heart disease & stroke. Every time you consume more sugar than your cells will take in, you cause damage. It also feeds cancer cells which are covered in insulin receptors.

Thread about the state of our 'health' care system that begins with a report on the toxicity of sugar: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/313589-examples-of-how-bad-our-health-care-system-has-become/

This thread is primarily about fructose malabsorption, but has info on how the body processes all kinds of sugars. http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/299249-improving-fructose-metabolism-for-those-that-break-out-from-fruit/

General advice:

"What you want is a healthy lifestyle with natural circadian cycle, stress management, physical activity and a nutrient dense, anti-inflammatory blood sugar stabilizing diet habits that don't include anything you have an intolerance for."

ttp://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/230714-good-things-for-the-many-factors-that-lead-to-acne/

I read that somewhere limiting yourself to 50 grams a day is fine. If you have heart issues you should limit yourself to 25 grams. Never know what to believe though! As far as what I eat, I drink only water and green tea. I don't eat dairy, so any milk I drink is almond milk. To summarize I usually eat 1 bananna, wheetabix, sausages, 1 apple, freshly cooked salmon, can of tuna, turkey burger in brown bread. Thats roughly what I have, maybe some more. I work out that's why I try to eat so much. I keep an eye on the sugar content in everything I eat. Very rarely do I reach the 50 grams limit. I would say 9 out of 10 days I will be consuming 20 grams of sugar or so.

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 01/09/2014 3:31 pm

Some people break out from the sulfates and other ingredients in traditional toothpastes so it still might be that.

I don't really use any specific toothpaste. I just use whatever's hanging around and I've always been breaking out, so it can't be that.

MemberMember
(@conorcoughlanmu)

Posted : 01/09/2014 3:36 pm

Some people break out from the sulfates and other ingredients in traditional toothpastes so it still might be that.

I've heard this before but never really thought much of it. Stupid question but have you got any toothpaste reccomendations or is it all personal? Just trial and error? Or are there a few toothpastes out there with out any "breaking out" ingredients. Thank you for your help!

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 01/09/2014 3:53 pm

>50 grams of added sugar is far too much. The CDC recommends a limit of 25 grams, which is probably too much. We really shouldn't have any added sugar. And I wonder how healthy you can really be eating if you find it hard to consume less. Your cells won't take in sugar if they are already full, but your body will keep trying to get it out of your blood stream by pumping out more insulin. Excess insulin means excess hormones. And it pro-inflammatory. But it does it because sugar in the blood stream is very damaging. It ages you by reducing elasticity of all your tissues including your skin (wrinkles) and, along with high blood pressure, is the cause of the arterial damage that your body struggles to repair with cholesterol that then leads to plaque, clogged arteries, heart disease & stroke. Every time you consume more sugar than your cells will take in, you cause damage. It also feeds cancer cells which are covered in insulin receptors.

Thread about the state of our 'health' care system that begins with a report on the toxicity of sugar: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/313589-examples-of-how-bad-our-health-care-system-has-become/

This thread is primarily about fructose malabsorption, but has info on how the body processes all kinds of sugars. http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/299249-improving-fructose-metabolism-for-those-that-break-out-from-fruit/

General advice:

ttp://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/230714-good-things-for-the-many-factors-that-lead-to-acne/

I read that somewhere limiting yourself to 50 grams a day is fine. If you have heart issues you should limit yourself to 25 grams. Never know what to believe though! As far as what I eat, I drink only water and green tea. I don't eat dairy, so any milk I drink is almond milk. To summarize I usually eat 1 bananna, wheetabix, sausages, 1 apple, freshly cooked salmon, can of tuna, turkey burger in brown bread. Thats roughly what I have, maybe some more. I work out that's why I try to eat so much. I keep an eye on the sugar content in everything I eat. Very rarely do I reach the 50 grams limit. I would say 9 out of 10 days I will be consuming 20 grams of sugar or so.

You said added sugar. Total sugar content including that found naturally in real food is different and would have a different limit. But you are eating a lot of refined carbs in the bread & wheetabix. I would't do that more than once a day on a regular basis. Either bread, or pasta or whatever. Acutally, I wouldn't do it on a regular basis at all. And you really should try avoiding all wheat for a period to test for intolerance.

No greens?

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 01/09/2014 4:18 pm

I've heard this before but never really thought much of it. Stupid question but have you got any toothpaste reccomendations or is it all personal? Just trial and error? Or are there a few toothpastes out there with out any "breaking out" ingredients. Thank you for your help!

I don't really know a specific brand because I just use regular crest toothpaste. I probably should also make the switch though because I know sulfates in cleansers bother my skin. If you type "sulfate free toothpaste" or "natural toothpaste" into amazon you should find some brands that you can try. I've heard of ones from Tom's of Maine, Jason, Sensodyne, etc.

MemberMember
(@conorcoughlanmu)

Posted : 01/09/2014 4:19 pm

>50 grams of added sugar is far too much. The CDC recommends a limit of 25 grams, which is probably too much. We really shouldn't have any added sugar. And I wonder how healthy you can really be eating if you find it hard to consume less. Your cells won't take in sugar if they are already full, but your body will keep trying to get it out of your blood stream by pumping out more insulin. Excess insulin means excess hormones. And it pro-inflammatory. But it does it because sugar in the blood stream is very damaging. It ages you by reducing elasticity of all your tissues including your skin (wrinkles) and, along with high blood pressure, is the cause of the arterial damage that your body struggles to repair with cholesterol that then leads to plaque, clogged arteries, heart disease & stroke. Every time you consume more sugar than your cells will take in, you cause damage. It also feeds cancer cells which are covered in insulin receptors.

General advice:

ttp://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/230714-good-things-for-the-many-factors-that-lead-to-acn

e/

You said added sugar. Total sugar content including that found naturally in real food is different and would have a different limit. But you are eating a lot of refined carbs in the bread & wheetabix. I would't do that more than once a day on a regular basis. Either bread, or pasta or whatever. Acutally, I wouldn't do it on a regular basis at all. And you really should try avoiding all wheat for a period to test for intolerance.

No greens?

So basically what you're saying is cut out all carbs? (Apart from fruits and veggies). I do eat vegetables but probably not as much as I should as I focus mainly on a protein based diet. Maybe I should start incorporating that into my diet some more. You're also saying natural sugar is fine but cut out all added sugar? Just trying to summarize and understand what you're reccomending, thanks! I will be sure to try no wheat!

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 01/09/2014 4:30 pm

So basically what you're saying is cut out all carbs? (Apart from fruits and veggies). I do eat vegetables but probably not as much as I should as I focus mainly on a protein based diet. Maybe I should start incorporating that into my diet some more. You're also saying natural sugar is fine but cut out all added sugar? Just trying to summarize and understand what you're reccomending, thanks! I will be sure to try no wheat!

I'm recommending you limit refined empty and nearly empty carbs, especially wheat which is very high in harmful anti-nutrients. And limiting sugar, especially added sugar. And add greens. Scramble them into your eggs. Add them to every soup/stir fry/curry you make. Add them to everything.

MemberMember
(@conorcoughlanmu)

Posted : 01/09/2014 4:41 pm

I'm recommending you limit refined empty and nearly empty carbs, especially wheat which is very high in harmful anti-nutrients. And limiting sugar, especially added sugar. And add greens. Scramble them into your eggs. Add them to every soup/stir fry/curry you make. Add them to everything.

Okay, thank you for your help. It is much appreciated. I'm going to cut out refined carbs as much as I possibly can. I am going to cut out the added sugar period. I am going to add greens to as much as I possibly can and also be aware of my natural sugar intake. Would you say continuing to eat a bananna and apple a day is fine but just add plenty more greens?

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 01/09/2014 6:57 pm

Okay, thank you for your help. It is much appreciated. I'm going to cut out refined carbs as much as I possibly can. I am going to cut out the added sugar period. I am going to add greens to as much as I possibly can and also be aware of my natural sugar intake. Would you say continuing to eat a bananna and apple a day is fine but just add plenty more greens?

I eat a banana and an apple a day and my skin is mostly clear so I'd say that is fine. Sometimes I even eat 3 bananas a day...I really like them lol.

MemberMember
(@conorcoughlanmu)

Posted : 01/09/2014 7:53 pm

I eat a banana and an apple a day and my skin is mostly clear so I'd say that is fine. Sometimes I even eat 3 bananas a day...I really like them lol.

Ahh really? So frustrating! There's so much advice to be taking in! Thanks for the help :)

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 01/09/2014 10:40 pm

Yes. To replace your refined carbs, try squashes and sweet potatoes which I like for breakfast.