Notifications
Clear all

Considering Goin Off Accutane

MemberMember
(@john-john)

Posted : 01/02/2014 1:41 pm

Alright, so I've been taking accutane going on 3 months now. I have a dermatologist appointment tomorrow morning and I'm going to discuss with my doctor if it's a good idea to discontinue my accutane treatment.

My concerns are that its causing me unnecessary scarring because of the side effects of dry and thinning skin. Before taking accutane I never had a breakout as bad as I do now and its been ongoing for the 3 months Ive been on the drug. All the places on my face that I've had a breakout of pimples so far has left a small-medium sized boxcar type scar. The skin is still red in places that had pimples a month or two ago. Before now, I never had anything significant scarring or marks left behind from a breakout.

I'm just not sure if its worth it to keep up the treatment for 2-3 more months if the end result is going to be a face covered in scars. I just dont see the benefit of treating my acne then having to treat scars afterward. I'm definitely seeing a correlation between having started this medication and the subsequent breakouts I have dealt with.

I'll just see what my doctor has to say and if I stop taking the medication it's probably going to be another 3 months of recovering from the damage done up until now.

MemberMember
(@avada-kedavra-acne)

Posted : 01/02/2014 1:47 pm

Yeah i was left with some very nasty scars- but 2 months after treatment they are basically all faded. Which im surprised because i have probebly the most sensitive skin on the face of the planet with rosacea.

MemberMember
(@john-john)

Posted : 01/02/2014 1:50 pm

Yeah i was left with some very nasty scars- but 2 months after treatment they are basically all faded. Which im surprised because i have probebly the most sensitive skin on the face of the planet with rosacea.

I just don't see how a scar thats sunk into the skin is going to go away without some sort of treatment? I'm already thinking I've screwed my face up worse than if I would have not started taking this and just treated it with antibiotics and topicals. I guess I'm at the point of no return, to be honest.

MemberMember
(@avada-kedavra-acne)

Posted : 01/02/2014 4:49 pm

I just don't see how a scar thats sunk into the skin is going to go away without some sort of treatment? I'm already thinking I've screwed my face up worse than if I would have not started taking this and just treated it with antibiotics and topicals. I guess I'm at the point of no return, to be honest.

I always questioned what was happing during my treatment- even my brother who had horrrrible cystic acne (accutane 3 yrs ago) is now clear and still has indent marks but are not noticeable at all.

MemberMember
(@john-john)

Posted : 12/12/2014 2:12 am

Been a year since I stopped taking it, best decision of my life.

MemberMember
(@il90)

Posted : 12/14/2014 12:10 pm

Did the acne come back? How come it was the best decision?

MemberMember
(@melloman)

Posted : 12/14/2014 1:39 pm

That's funny. How is your acne? still cystic?

MemberMember
(@john-john)

Posted : 12/14/2014 1:58 pm

That's funny. How is your acne? still cystic?

My acne responded to antibiotics and Epiduo better than it had to the Accutane. After over three months of taking it, my acne was just as bad as before I started taking it. I went off of it in January of this year and after a few months on the antibiotics/topical I was almost cleared up except for some leftover marks and scarring from before. Ill show you some pictures of the past year.

January 2014 (after three months on Accutane):

brantface1_zps57b53bdf.jpg

March 2014 (two months on other medications):

photo2_zps733992db.jpg

October 2014:

johnoctobernew_zps94f66fd2.jpg

Melloman liked
MemberMember
(@melloman)

Posted : 12/14/2014 2:21 pm

wow. You look great. Good enough for an epiduo commercial. I'm surprised the right medication can work for people with cystic acne.

Anyways, thanks for coming back and updating. It gives everyone hope!

MemberMember
(@missfuzz89)

Posted : 12/16/2014 12:43 pm

That's really good results john! Really happy for you! I think coming off the roacc was a very good decision and clearly worked well for you !!