Notifications
Clear all

Claritin? My Findings...

MemberMember
(@rocketteem)

Posted : 01/02/2014 1:40 pm

Hey! Long time no talk.. So here's my situation.

I've had acne for 11 years, and have been on the regimen for about 8.

Sadly, it's never completely stopped my acne, it just helps a bit with the healing process and it stops white-heads.

Anyway, I got bit by some flees a few weeks ago, and I read that Claritin helps with the itching, so I took some for 4 days...

During this time, I was also kinda sick and lazy and didn't use the regimen. Normally, my acne would explode. But... it actually improved.

I thought maybe it was due to being sick, because in the past when I get a cold, my acne stops until I get better.

But, I thought MAYBE it could be the Claritin. I've never had known allergies, so I've never taken it in my life.

A week ago I decided to take one 24 hour Claritin a day(NOT Claritin D), and after about 3 days it improved... and now it's practically gone.

I have some red marks on my face, but thats pretty normal and they are fading... My scalp acne(Which was terrible, at LEAST 5 active pimples at one time ALL the time) has -completely- stopped, my shoulder acne has stopped as well.

Lately I've been getting bad, painful cystic acne on my face. Usually 3 bad, painful pimples at a time, with several other smaller ones all over. Not it's gone?

What could this be! I feel like I'm one step closer to understanding my acne! Or is it just stopping my body from create an immune response and blocking the swelling?

MemberMember
(@rocketteem)

Posted : 01/08/2014 1:28 pm

Just an update, I've still been on it since this post and I'm incredibly clear... like it's been years since I was this clear.

If I skip a single day though, I start to breakout.

My sister started also, she's 40 and still has acne, and she said it's also been helping her. o.O

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 01/08/2014 1:41 pm

There are some people who have found histamine to be a contributor to their acne (as it is part of the inflammatory response). If Claritin is helping you, your acne is probably really histamine related because Claritin is an anti-histamine! It's just probably expensive to take one every single day, right?

MemberMember
(@mrsrobinson)

Posted : 01/08/2014 3:02 pm

go generic then I say...go to Sam's club or BJs....stay with it for a few more weeks then taper off and let us know what happens....fingers crossed for you!

you might even find 1/2 a tablet is effective....but fingers crossed, keep us posted!!

MemberMember
(@rocketteem)

Posted : 01/08/2014 5:10 pm

Ive been lazy and been buying it at the supermarket. Name-brand is about $14 for 10 pills... But I bought Store-brand for $17 for 30 of them. So, not too pricey...

Thank you, I also heard costco has it for crazy cheap.

heitea if it's histamine related... what is it causing my body to freak out in the first place?
It's stopped my back, scalp, and face acne... or is it that I'm still technically getting acne, but my body doesn't respond by creating inflammation anymore?

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 01/14/2014 6:14 pm

Wow - definitely keep us posted and let us know if it continues working!

MemberMember
(@elegantsurf)

Posted : 09/11/2014 7:17 am

A week ago I decided to take one 24 hour Claritin a day(NOT Claritin D), and after about 3 days it improved... and now it's practically gone.

I have some red marks on my face, but thats pretty normal and they are fading... My scalp acne(Which was terrible, at LEAST 5 active pimples at one time ALL the time) has -completely- stopped, my shoulder acne has stopped as well.

Lately I've been getting bad, painful cystic acne on my face. Usually 3 bad, painful pimples at a time, with several other smaller ones all over. Not it's gone?

What could this be! I feel like I'm one step closer to understanding my acne! Or is it just stopping my body from create an immune response and blocking the swelling?

Hey, not sure if anyone is still on here, but I had to search the site for others experiencing this.

I started taking Claritin for allergies and also noticed improvements in my acne. I had bad allergies as a kid, but I stopped taking medicine when they improved. Recently I realized that all my itching and congestion was probably still from allergies. When I started taking Claritin 24 hr things started looking up.

My itching wasn't totally gone while on Claritin, so I tried a generic of Allegra. That definitely did not help me as much as Claritin. I will still have to determine if this is a coincidence or not, but I've been doing this for a month and have seen more improvements than I ever did with washes, creams, or even some antibiotics.

Wish I knew what I am allergic to though? I get itchy when I eat certain foods like apples, pears, carrots, and sometimes wine or beer. I'm really confused because it seems like I'm allergic to some healthy stuff like the fruit and veggies.

Oh well! Just wanted to share and see if other people ever had the same coincidence with allergy medicine.

MemberMember
(@mrsrobinson)

Posted : 10/26/2014 2:33 pm

Hey, not sure if anyone is still on here, but I had to search the site for others experiencing this.

I started taking Claritin for allergies and also noticed improvements in my acne. I had bad allergies as a kid, but I stopped taking medicine when they improved. Recently I realized that all my itching and congestion was probably still from allergies. When I started taking Claritin 24 hr things started looking up.

My itching wasn't totally gone while on Claritin, so I tried a generic of Allegra. That definitely did not help me as much as Claritin. I will still have to determine if this is a coincidence or not, but I've been doing this for a month and have seen more improvements than I ever did with washes, creams, or even some antibiotics.

Wish I knew what I am allergic to though? I get itchy when I eat certain foods like apples, pears, carrots, and sometimes wine or beer. I'm really confused because it seems like I'm allergic to some healthy stuff like the fruit and veggies.

Oh well! Just wanted to share and see if other people ever had the same coincidence with allergy medicine.

MemberMember
(@hemispheres2112)

Posted : 11/02/2014 10:06 pm

I just stRted taking Claritin too. I have had a few itchy spot on my neck from either products or allergies. Ded stops the itching. hope it helps my acne

MemberMember
(@elegantsurf)

Posted : 11/03/2014 8:03 am

Yeah, I'm still taking Claritin and it's working amazingly. I rarely even come on here anymore. I can't say that it is only the Claritin, but i give it lots of credit. I am also using Aqua Glycolic toner as far acne products.

I'm not a dr., so I don't want to recommend that everyone starts taking OTC medicine. But, let me know if it works for anyone else! Thanks!!