Notifications
Clear all

Acne On Cheeks Is Hormonal?

MemberMember
(@ih8acnee)

Posted : 12/30/2013 6:49 pm

I used to always have very mild acne on my forehead, but I NEVER had problems with my cheeks. But since this year, I started getting crazy acne on my cheeks and I heard that acne on the cheeks is caused by hormones? Is that true? If so, why?

MemberMember
(@luckydory)

Posted : 12/30/2013 7:02 pm

Theres really no telling, you'll have to start doing A LOT of research and look into other people's stories on here, my situation is the flip flop of yours, never had it on my forehead and only cheeks but since last week that has changed. Word around here is that most chin/jawline activity is hormonal. Im going on seven years with acne spots and have come to the conclusion that it is either hormonal, genetic, or food allergies. I've done self expirements to single out the cause but haven't been able to find the root cause yet. Have you been to a dermatologist and received a professional opinion? Although, I've been to one and even in his professional conclusion I feel like he won't be able to help me. Sigh the never ending struggle...

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 12/30/2013 7:46 pm

Acne around jawline and chin is usually caused by hormones

MemberMember
(@luckydory)

Posted : 12/30/2013 8:03 pm

Acne around jawline and chin is usually caused by hormones

Does that go for male and female alike? I'm a male who gets a good amount on my jawline.

MemberMember
(@behappybeclean)

Posted : 12/30/2013 10:24 pm

When I started having hormonal outbreaks after stopping birth control, acne started on my jawline then moved to my lower and then upper cheeks. A blood test revealed I had slightly high testosterone and very high cortisol. High cortisol is correlated with acne especially on the lower half of the face. Hormone imbalances are known for causing acne along the jawline. Cutting back on sugar and refined carbs may be the most important diet-related thing you do to try and overcome these issues! It helped me significantly

MemberMember
(@jlcampi)

Posted : 12/31/2013 7:59 am

I used to always have very mild acne on my forehead, but I NEVER had problems with my cheeks. But since this year, I started getting crazy acne on my cheeks and I heard that acne on the cheeks is caused by hormones? Is that true? If so, why?

Virtually all acne is caused by elevated free testosterone and exacerbated by diet. Eating dairy, sugar, carbs (rice, wheat products like bread, pasta or tubers (potatoes) etc) spike insulin. The elevated free testosterone stimulates sebum (fatty substance) production and elevated insulin increases fat production pushing sebum production into over-drive.

There may be other issues with dairy such as antibiotics and growth hormones that also contribute to the problem. There is no question, though that dairy can and does contribute to acne. It's also generally not healthy. Small amounts like butter are ok.

When I started having hormonal outbreaks after stopping birth control, acne started on my jawline then moved to my lower and then upper cheeks. A blood test revealed I had slightly high testosterone and very high cortisol. High cortisol is correlated with acne especially on the lower half of the face. Hormone imbalances are known for causing acne along the jawline. Cutting back on sugar and refined carbs may be the most important diet-related thing you do to try and overcome these issues! It helped me significantly

I completely concur on the diet piece! Since cortisol is high your acne is probably caused by dhea converting to testosterone.

MemberMember
(@maria199)

Posted : 12/31/2013 7:36 pm

I used to have acne mainly on cheeks, less frequently on chin, not often on forehead and almost never on nose. Spiro literally saved me. So i guess it can be hormonal.

MemberMember
(@user174136)

Posted : 01/03/2014 12:09 pm

The lower half of my cheeks and underneath my jaw breaks out in hormonal acne. I'm a female with PCOS: I have high testosterone and androgens.

MemberMember
(@5beauty)

Posted : 02/10/2014 3:13 pm

Hi there! My acne is hormonal and is located ONLY on the cheeks. Never on the nose, almost never on forehead. Personally i would rather had on the forehead. The pimples go away faster and dont leave any scar because of the bone. On the contrary cheeks are a boneless spot and a pimple can stay there for ever, leave a red spot and a scar. I think that hormonal acne is mostly related to the time that pops on the face, regardless the part of the face it strikes!

MemberMember
(@bubbles55)

Posted : 02/11/2014 3:09 am

All acne is hormonal. I don't know how people don't know this? Haven't you ever been to a dermatologist before?