Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lauramarie

cortisone..what are side effects?

I've used cortisone cream in the past to reduce the swelling and redness of breakouts..but people always say there are terrible side effects..what are they????

i think the terrible side effects people are referring to are divets in the skin. like an indent where the shot was given for a few months.

i recently got my first cortisone shot and i highly reccomend it. if you have a huge awful pimple you are more likely to get a mark from that alone than the shot. my derm warned me about it and watered down teh solution and only did a little bit. as long as you go to someone who knows what they are doing i dont think this should be a concern. mine flattened out within a few hours and the scab was gone in two days. good stuff! eusa_dance.gif

Zooey, Laura is asking about the CREAM not the shot you get at the derm's ...from my personal experience with the cream, I tried it once and all it did was irritate the crap out the cyst I had on my chin,all pink and inflamed,no good for me. As far as long term affects go from using the cream, i have no idea....does that really work for you (anyone) though?

i'm using cortisone with sulfur at the moment... so if anyone knows about these "long term side effects" please post them!

read this: http://www.dermnetnz.org/treatments/topical-steroids.html

Side effects of topical steroids

Internal side effects

If more than 50g of clobetasol propionate, or 500g of hydrocortisone is used per week, sufficient steroid may be absorbed through the skin to result in adrenal gland suppression and/or eventually Cushing's syndrome.

Adrenal Gland Suppression.

Topical steroids can suppress the production of natural steroids, which are essential for healthy living. Stopping the steroids suddenly may then result in illness.

Cushing's Syndrome If large amounts of steroid are absorbed through the skin, fluid retention, raised blood pressure, diabetes etc. may result.

Skin side effects

Local side effects of topical steroids include:

Skin thinning (atrophy) and stretch marks (striae).

Easy bruising and tearing of the skin.

Perioral dermatitis (rash around the mouth).

Enlarged blood vessels (telangiectasia).

Susceptibility to skin infections.

Disguising infection e.g. tinea incognito.

Allergy to the steroid cream.