35Andaccutane

MemberMember
(@alien1)

Posted : 12/28/2013 11:05 pm

Are you ready for another log.. well, wait no more

I am 35, a woman, mother, hard worker, and prior to 2013, a totally confident individual.

I have always had some acne, but never to the extreme that its at now. And let's not even talk about the post inflammatory hyper pigmentation.

I have seen 4 dermatologists, a nurse practitioner, an esthetician, a holistic healer, an endocrinologist, an ob/gyn, and my family practitioner (my apologies if I forgot anyone). I have been told its hormonal (isn't it always anyway) exercise induced, PCOS, a symptom of my IUD, my diet, and finally, somehow connected to my thyroid. I really hate doctors sometimes. I literally can't remember all of the medications I have been on and had short term success with and other meds that were just a straight up waste of time and money. From over the counter to scripts, I have spent thousands.

I decided to stick with 1 derm for one year (all of 2013) and if nothing changed after following everything they prescribed, I would tell them what I wanted, control my health care if you will. Well, I did just that...I took every damn antibiotic, smeared Retin-A on everything, moisturized, washed...repeated...For one year. I even bought the silly products from his practice that were supposed to be sooooo amazing. Finally, I had IT, I told him I wanted Accutane, or Spirnolactone, and he began the process......The mother of all processes:

IPledge (cause I 35, with one kid already, have and IUD, and need birth control consultation...but I get it, liability)

blood work

30 days in the iPledge system

menstrual cycle begins

more blood work

mental health assessment (by the dermatologist, which is just weird and I know they do a rotation in psych, but really?)

SOOOOOOO, the day I have been waiting for for over a year has finally come, I will start my Accutane Journey on 12/30/13 and I hope this log will help me along and anyone else that struggles with acne as an adult.

I posted some pics of my before Tane, with and without makeup. I also posted some products that were suggested by the many bloggers on acne.org and YouTube. I will update monthly with pics, progress, and products.

Let's go!

post-367730-0-84728900-1388289332.jpg post-367730-0-00907100-1388288921.jpg

post-367730-0-00907100-1388288921.jpg

post-367730-0-84728900-1388289332.jpg

MemberMember
(@persnickitychick)

Posted : 12/29/2013 8:17 am

It sounds like you have already had a huge struggle. Good for you, taking control of your health care. I do think people let doctors push them around far too often. I tried spiro, and it was a huge failure. So far my Accutane course (which started 9 days ago) is already showing itself to be an improvement (although it does have side effects). Best wishes for your journey, and I look forward to reading your log as you go!

MemberMember
(@alien1)

Posted : 12/29/2013 11:05 am

It sounds like you have already had a huge struggle. Good for you, taking control of your health care. I do think people let doctors push them around far too often. I tried spiro, and it was a huge failure. So far my Accutane course (which started 9 days ago) is already showing itself to be an improvement (although it does have side effects). Best wishes for your journey, and I look forward to reading your log as you go!

Thank you so much for responding. Good luck as well and I hope this works for both of us!

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 12/29/2013 11:33 am

Good luck! Just started my journey 4 days ago after a similar story to yours. Spiro also didn't work for me at all :(

Can't wait to see the results!

MemberMember
(@kim28)

Posted : 12/29/2013 12:05 pm

Hey I am 35 and on Accutane too! Glad to have you along for this journey.

MemberMember
(@alien1)

Posted : 12/29/2013 10:36 pm

Kim28 and Megtree, so happy to have some more people to go through this experience with. I cannot lie, I am a little nervous!!!!

MemberMember
(@alien1)

Posted : 12/31/2013 11:12 am

Well, I lied. Accutane did not begin yesterday because my doctor is kind of stupid, really stupid.

I called to ask if everything was in place for my appointment at 4:10, and the nurse, you know what, forget it. Have a wonderful New Year everyone, will update later!

MemberMember
(@persnickitychick)

Posted : 12/31/2013 9:31 pm

Wow! So sorry that things didn't work out at the doctor today. Hopefully they (doctor and staff) can get their act together, and you will be able to start soon! That had to be disappointing. :(

Happy New Year!

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 01/01/2014 10:53 pm

I'm so sorry! Sometimes Doctor's assistants are the WORST!

MemberMember
(@nhs72)

Posted : 01/04/2014 4:01 pm

It's nice to hear of some "older" Accutane users. I am 41 and have been on Accutane 4 times before this at full dose. Obviously, Accutane did not put me in full remission. My entire family has battled acne, so genetics are against me!

My derm has started me on ultra low dose (40 mg twice a week) with the idea of being on a long term maintenance dose of once or twice a month. I started two weeks ago. At that time I stopped my antibiotic. Because of long term antibiotic use I broke out in Gram negative Folliculitis (didn't think anything could be worse than acne). There is all this negative hype about Accutane, but what about antibiotics?!

I hope you can get started soon. Thanks for starting your blog. I will be following.

MemberMember
(@alien1)

Posted : 01/04/2014 9:27 pm

So, I didn't think I could actually become more miserable than I was on the 31st, but I am officially undone. Not to be all melodramatic and all, but I'm bummed. I went to the derm on the 4th (fought a nor-easter to get there mind you) and my derm told me that the blood work he ordered came back with some abnormalities. My WBC (white blood cell count) was too low for him to prescribe Accutane (he could have told me this over the phone, uggghhhhhh). He asked if this was identified by anyone before, and it had, by my PCP, who attributes it to a vitamin deficiency. He said that was not conclusive enough for him and.....wait for it....is send me to a hemotologist. The appointment is not until Jan 22nd..

I don't know, maybe I shouldn't be on the Tane after all.

thanks everyone for following this log and adding the words of support, I appreciate it so much.

NHS72, I did some research and antibiotics, which I was on for 2 year straight, could have contributed to the low WBC...antibiotics are not good at all!!!

MemberMember
(@kim28)

Posted : 01/05/2014 12:36 am

Oh shit!

It's okay - we're here for you and we'll all get through this acne shit one way or another. Maybe a hematologist might actually be able to help you figure out what's up and offer solutions?

Don't get too down, I know how much this f-ing sucks, but hang in there pal, we all have our fingers and toes crossed for you.

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 01/06/2014 11:07 am

I'm so sorry :( Just know that we're here for you - and even if you can't start 'tane right away, acne is a b**ch we are all familiar with, and you can always come here for support and to vent whenever you need it, 'tane or no 'tane! :)

MemberMember
(@persnickitychick)

Posted : 01/06/2014 3:39 pm

I really hope the hematologist can clear some things up for you.

Don't give up, yet.