Notifications
Clear all

Infertility On Accutane?

MemberMember
(@smitchell)

Posted : 12/27/2013 11:56 pm

Hi there

Well I started Roaccutane 3/4 months ago, first two on 20mg last 3 to be 40mg. I haven't had my period since starting the treatment, and I also opted out of the pregnancy protection programme meaning I don't take birth control (due to my young age, I'm only 14 and my mum advised me not to, also I'm not sexually active either).

I was reading online and came across a forum where at least 300 people were infertile and all had taken accutane. My derm didn't warn me of this and it is not on any of the info packs in the accutane boxes. In my opinion this may be a fairly rare side effect but I have scared myself to death thinking I may be infertile because I haven't had a period in so long. Can anyone help me out and tell me if you have had any problems? Or even reassuring comments please!

Thanks

MemberMember
(@xdevochkax)

Posted : 12/28/2013 5:23 am

I would definitely talk to your derm. Have you had blood tests taken since you started?

MemberMember
(@smitchell)

Posted : 12/28/2013 8:37 pm

I would definitely talk to your derm. Have you had blood tests taken since you started?

Yes, derm has said everything is fine, have had two blood tests already. Mum said she will phone the derm and see if we can get an appointment to talk about it. Hopefully everything is okay, also hope that we can get an appointment soon Because it's difficult to get one at this time of year :/

MemberMember
(@woanchii0512)

Posted : 12/29/2013 3:14 am

I had problems with my period as well during accutane!

MemberMember
(@woanchii0512)

Posted : 12/29/2013 9:33 pm

http://informahealthcare.com/doi/abs/10.3109/09513590.2013.860118 this article made me worried :/

MemberMember
(@smitchell)

Posted : 12/29/2013 10:19 pm

That's scary. Going to call on Monday, I'll keep you updated, hopefully nothing too serious!

MemberMember
(@superstarfire)

Posted : 12/30/2013 4:43 am

Please let us know what your Derm says. :)

I have been on Roaccutance for 6 months now and never heard/seen anything regarding becoming infertile so this has defos caught my attention!

MemberMember
(@emma2)

Posted : 01/02/2014 12:51 pm

Yes i believe it to be true i have diminished ovarian reserve im only late 30s i have taken one course of 4 mths of accutane 2011 back on it 2nd time due to relapse i dont want kids so not an issue but for any woman wanting kids i wouldnt take it personally .

I have an ovarian reserve of 25% of what it should be for my age accutane changed my periods while i was on it and had missed periods currently i have a brown discharge day 12 had this last course

so if you want kids i wouldnt take it keep away from it if you dont then it doesnt matter

MemberMember
(@woanchii0512)

Posted : 01/02/2014 9:05 pm

Yes i believe it to be true i have diminished ovarian reserve im only late 30s i have taken one course of 4 mths of accutane 2011 back on it 2nd time due to relapse i dont want kids so not an issue but for any woman wanting kids i wouldnt take it personally .

I have an ovarian reserve of 25% of what it should be for my age accutane changed my periods while i was on it and had missed periods currently i have a brown discharge day 12 had this last course

so if you want kids i wouldnt take it keep away from it if you dont then it doesnt matter

is there a test for this?

MemberMember
(@emma2)

Posted : 01/03/2014 3:42 am

You can have an AMH test which is a blood test or you can have an internal ultrasound scan , although it scan best done early in cycle AMH can be done anytime.

Saying that egg levels do vary from cycle to cycle

You never know what mine are this cycle but if fertility important to you then be cautious apart from that ive only have minor dry lips no side effects at all

Depends also on age as to ovarian reserve

To be honest i had such shambolic treatment at the hospital who knows what scan would show today but im still having a brown discharge day 12 of period and i have only had this before on accutane in over 20 yrs of periods