Notifications
Clear all

Yaz/acne/hair Loss

MemberMember
(@drbellz)

Posted : 12/27/2013 1:21 am

Friends,

I have a very interesting, somewhat complex problem.

I will explain as quickly and efficiently as possible.

I have been taking Yaz on and off for many years. I take it because it COMPLETELY clears up my acne, (which is moderate/severe). Literally, when I am on Yaz, my face is pristine.

HOWEVER,

When I am on Yaz, my hair falls out. And it is not in my imagination. We're talking about epic hair loss. 500-1000 hair a day. Just comes out in clumps in my hands. I have to stop after a few months, or else, I fear that I will actually go bald. This is not a joke.

When I go off Yaz, within about 2 weeks, I begin to break out severely, but my hair STOPS falling out.

I literally have to choose between being bald, and having clear skin.

So, I have made a pact with myself that I WILL find a solution for my acne, and I will stop taking Yaz, and keep my hair.

Here is my question: WHAT is in Yaz that makes my skin so gorgeous? WHY is Yaz making my hair fall out at the same time? WHAT can I take the is LIKE Yaz, but wont make my hair fall out? Has ANYONE under God's gorgeous sun also had this problem? How did you solve it? Please-- please-- please help me. Please. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Best,

Bellz

MemberMember
(@jacqueline-rademaker)

Posted : 01/03/2014 10:05 am

Hi DrBellz- I am so glad that you posted this because I have the exact same problem... well, a little different but quite similar. When I go off Yaz I break out like crazy, I am talking about deep, painful, scarring cysts. I went off birth control in 2008 and about 4 months after going off the pill I broke out like crazy. I went back on a short while after going off and my skin cleared right up. Fast forward to today and I have currently been off Yaz for about 2 weeks because my husband and I are going to try for a child. In order to prepare this time I have started Dan's Regimen and so far so good (knock on wood). But now I have a new side effect of going off birth control... my hair is falling out. Well, I wouldn't say falling out but definitely an increase in the amount that should be falling out when I wash or brush my hair. I did a little research last night and according to a few websites when you start or stop birth control it can cause an increase in shedding due to the hormones (or lack thereof) in your body. I also read that it is a temporary effect until your hormones rebalance themselves (2-3 months usually). Call your doctor if you are concerned because they might have a better explanation. Hope this helps! Also, have you looked into Spironolactone? It is an anti-androgen and basically does the same thing Yaz does (minus the birth control part) without all the weird side effects. Seriously, F Yaz.

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 01/03/2014 5:59 pm

I have the same issue with yaz, yasmin, and spiro, and unfortunately I'm not sure what causes it. Thankfully, though, I now have my hormonal acne under control from eating a low fat low gi diet, taking vitamin C, and ditching skincare and makeup products that clog me.

MemberMember
(@jlcampi)

Posted : 01/04/2014 10:02 am

Friends,

I have been taking Yaz on and off for many years. I take it because it COMPLETELY clears up my acne, (which is moderate/severe). Literally, when I am on Yaz, my face is pristine.

HOWEVER,

When I am on Yaz, my hair falls out. And it is not in my imagination. We're talking about epic hair loss. 500-1000 hair a day. Just comes out in clumps in my hands. I have to stop after a few months, or else, I fear that I will actually go bald. This is not a joke.

When I go off Yaz, within about 2 weeks, I begin to break out severely, but my hair STOPS falling out.

So, I have made a pact with myself that I WILL find a solution for my acne, and I will stop taking Yaz, and keep my hair.

Here is my question: WHAT is in Yaz that makes my skin so gorgeous? WHY is Yaz making my hair fall out at the same time? WHAT can I take the is LIKE Yaz, but wont make my hair fall out? Has ANYONE under God's gorgeous sun also had this problem? How did you solve it? Please-- please-- please help me. Please. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Best,

Bellz

1. Estrogen in bc opposes testosterone and reduces it's effectiveness.

2. As estrogen concentration rises, so does SHBG. Testosterone binds to SHBG. This reduces the free fraction of T that is available to exert it's action on sebaceous glands.

So, bc acts on testosterone through 2 mechanisms.

Where is your hair falling out? All over your scalp or only on your crown?

MemberMember
(@drbellz)

Posted : 01/05/2014 11:14 am

Friends,

HOWEVER,

Best,

Bellz

2. As estrogen concentration rises, so does SHBG. Testosterone binds to SHBG. This reduces the free fraction of T that is available to exert it's action on sebaceous glands.

jlcampi,

Thank you so much for your response!

Unfortunately I dont know what SHBG is. I dont really understand your post.

YAZ is very low estrogen, as far as I know-- 20 micrograms. Are you suggesting I go on a BC with higher Estrogen?

That would be fairly simple! Maybe something like Ortho-Cyclen? That has 35 micrograms

My hair lost is very diffuse. Not just on the crown. My entire scalp is just looking thinner and thinner.

I eagerly await your reply.

:)

-Bellz

I have the same issue with yaz, yasmin, and spiro, and unfortunately I'm not sure what causes it. Thankfully, though, I now have my hormonal acne under control from eating a low fat low gi diet, taking vitamin C, and ditching skincare and makeup products that clog me.

Paigems,

How much spiro are you taking? And was your hair loss as severe on Spiro? Which of the three things was the worst for you?

MemberMember
(@danthenewworld)

Posted : 01/05/2014 12:47 pm

maybe consider saw palmetto(?) that should prevent hair loss, generally

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 01/05/2014 12:52 pm

Paigems,

How much spiro are you taking? And was your hair loss as severe on Spiro? Which of the three things was the worst for you?

I no longer take spiro, but when I did I think my highest dose was 50mg. My hair loss was equally bad on yaz, yasmin, and spiro, and it was pretty severe like you described.

MemberMember
(@jlcampi)

Posted : 01/06/2014 10:06 am

Friends,

HOWEVER,

Best,

Bellz

jlcampi,

Thank you so much for your response!

Unfortunately I dont know what SHBG is. I dont really understand your post.

YAZ is very low estrogen, as far as I know-- 20 micrograms. Are you suggesting I go on a BC with higher Estrogen?

That would be fairly simple! Maybe something like Ortho-Cyclen? That has 35 micrograms

My hair lost is very diffuse. Not just on the crown. My entire scalp is just looking thinner and thinner.

I eagerly await your reply.

smile.png

-Bellz

>I have the same issue with yaz, yasmin, and spiro, and unfortunately I'm not sure what causes it. Thankfully, though, I now have my hormonal acne under control from eating a low fat low gi diet, taking vitamin C, and ditching skincare and makeup products that clog me.

Paigems,

Sorry about the confusing post.

My response was more to explain why the bc you are using works to clear acne. Both mechanisms I noted above decrease free testosterone. SHBG (sex hormone binding globulin) is a protein carried in blood that combines with sex steroids and serves as a reserve for future use. There are also other proteins that do something similar but not important to discuss here. So when the hear the term total testosterone, we are referring to the fraction that is combined with proteins like SHBG and is not immediately available to act. Free testosterone is uncombined and is available to exert is action. Increasing SHBG increases combined sex steroids and decreases the free fraction. So, with bc that contains estrogens, shbg increases, causing a decrease in available free testosterone to act on sebaceous glands.

One other quick point. The progestin in Yaz in structurally related to spiro and has some of it's anti-androgen effects. So there are 3 mechanism at work to decrease testosterone in Yaz. The 2 I mentioned above plus this additional mechanism related to spiro.

Focused hair loss (androgenic alopecia) in women typically is on the crown. It's about where a center part would be located. It's caused by elevated DHT.

Since your hair loss is diffuce, it's probably not related to elevated androgens. Yaz can result in elevated potassium. This should be actively monitored by your doc as it can have serious effects on your heart. Low potassium can cause hair loss. The other hormonal problem that typically causes hair loss it low thyroid.

My suggestion is to check potassium levels if taking Yaz.