Notifications
Clear all

Thinking Of Switching From Apri To Ortho Cyclen?

MemberMember
(@cinnamon_stix)

Posted : 12/26/2013 9:03 pm

The first bcp I've ever tried for my acne was ortho novum but the type of progestin in it didn't do anything for my skin. So my doc switched me to desogen because she raved about the type of progestin in it being very low in androgen potency. So I started and I've been on it for about six months. I take the generic for desogen which is apri. My skin has cleared quite a bit but its still not 100%. My face is still red and a little oily, and the whiteheads won't go away. I also get small red bumps here and there that leave scars. I'm pretty frustrated. I was thinking of going back to my doc and asking for ortho cyclen because norgestimate seems to be another low androgenic progestin. I feel like i havent found the perfect pill yet. Anyone have experience with this pill? How do you like it for acne? Thanks in advance

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 12/26/2013 10:13 pm

I'd say it's worth a shot, especially if you haven't tried many pills. Demulen (zovia) works better for me than desogen (apri), but I've heard that ortho cyclen is better than both of those.

MemberMember
(@cinnamon_stix)

Posted : 12/27/2013 1:04 am

Thanks for the reply (: how long did you stay on desogen before switching to zovia? How's zovia working for you so far?

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 12/27/2013 1:32 pm

I was on desogen (apri) for about 4 months I think. For some reason I felt very oily on while on it. Even my neck and chest were sort of oily so I switched back to zovia. I love zovia. It gives me 3 day periods, no cramps, and better skin. It doesn't clear me up completely, but it does a better job than any other pill I've tried (other than yaz and yasmin which made my hair fall out).

MemberMember
(@drbellz)

Posted : 12/30/2013 3:01 am

This is a really great thread to read. Yaz also made my hair fall out in ropes. I had to go off it, fearing that the hair-loss would just get worse and worse. I was thinking about switching to Ortho-Cyclen because of Green Gables post about good and bad birth control. I also was on Apri for a while which made my acne much worse. Perhaps Ortho-Cylen is the answer.

MemberMember
(@brenmc)

Posted : 12/30/2013 12:36 pm

Has anyone used this and not had an IB?

What about coming off of it, does your acne rebound (get worse) or just revert to pre-pill state?

What about weight gain?

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 12/30/2013 1:26 pm

What about coming off of it, does your acne rebound (get worse) or just revert to pre-pill state?

What about weight gain?

Which pill are you referring to? Ortho cyclen?

MemberMember
(@brenmc)

Posted : 12/30/2013 5:28 pm

Ya.

What about weight gain?

Which pill are you referring to? Ortho cyclen?

MemberMember
(@cinnamon_stix)

Posted : 12/31/2013 10:20 am

Well today is my appointment! I'm going to ask about ortho cyclen and see what my doctor says. She's really great I like her a lot so hopefully she'll be able to give me some insight. I'll post back with some news soon

MemberMember
(@cinnamon_stix)

Posted : 01/05/2014 9:48 pm

If anyone else has any experience with ortho cyclen please feel free to share! :D