Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Alright, so this is for all the guys out there. What do you think is the best way to shave? I've read a lot about how shaving can aggrevate your skin and all, how you should wash your face before you shave...blah blah blah. I like the feel of a regular shave, but when I have pimples, you can't always shave well with a regular. With an electric, you can shave around the pimple and stuff but sometimes I feel it might irritate my skin more. Does anyone have a favorite shaver or shaving regimen?

I use an electric cause it doesnt lift the hair out of the follice, thus reducing the risk of ingrown hairs...which lead to acne. So what I do is basically prep my face with some warm water. Then dry it off. Then I shave. I immediatly move into washing my face (with SA then BP cause the SA clears out the pores).

I wash then dry my face with C&C Advantage wash. Then I use my norelo relex action plus razor. It is a 3 circle, all slot type. The heads with circles, also the foil type, cut lots closer and raise chances of ingrowns.

I also removed the "lifters" from the "lift and cut" heads. This helps a bunch with ingrowns, and I didn't notice it decreasing closness. You can check out how to do this for norelco heads at www.koshershaver.org

Also, I use Neutrogena healthy skin face lotion, with glycolic acid to help exfoliate, hence reduce ingrowns as well.

I normally use an electric razor in the morning everyday before school, because my hair grows so fast, but I usually set aside one day to use a regular razor because from what I have seen, if you have dry skin and you shave with a regular razor it helps remove the dead skin cells from your face, which leaves me with much smoother better looking, less dry skin. But I also shave before I actually wash my face, because I have much less oily skin that way, and I use very good shaving gel. eusa_dance.gif

i've never used an electric razor because my stubbles thick enough as it is and I've been told by several people you dont get as close a shave with an electric as a regular. I've started the new M3 Razor by gillette and its really good, its battery powered so that the blade is vibrating and there is about 10x less drag when you shave with it and you get a better shave. The blades are quite expensive though even compared to the overpriced mach3 blades. I've also started using shaving cream instead of foam or gel as its much better for the skin

I go the old fashioned way and use a single blade razor (not for the uncoordinated). It get as close as possible without causing irritation and beats the hell out of any mach blades.

Anyway, you can also get cryo'ed blades on the net that last a hel of a lot longer than normal blades, thus less irritation. I have a friend that shaves everyday and has a thick beard and used a cryo'ed blade and put it in a solution every night and one mach 3 blade lasts him over 3 weeks. Usually it craps out after 4 days or so.

I use a sensor excel blade, myself. First I get up a bunch of soap lather to spread over my beard, then I wait a little bit so it'll soften up the stubble, then I shave. I also go against the grain. Maybe I'm just a moron, but it seems like shaving with the grain doesn't do a damn thing to my beard. I've never had any problems with ingrown hairs on my face. Anyway, that gets me a real close shave.

single blade disposable, honestly they shave close without irritating the skin at all, and much less chance of cutting your active pimples

the triple blade razors irritate too much i find, and im pretty sure ive read that they actually take off the top layer of your skin