Notifications
Clear all

Bp During Early Accutane Stages

MemberMember
(@spartan32)

Posted : 12/24/2013 3:52 am

I am starting my Accutane course in a few weeks (FINALLY) and have a question about BP Use. BP takes what would be severe and widespread acne on my face and makes it pretty minimal (usually 3-5 active pimples with the occasional cyst) When I went off BP 2 years ago to see how my skin would react, it was a nightmare and the breakout left me with many scars.

Being 26, I have to be fair to myself and give myself a chance at finally curing this. Accutane may not be the cure but it's more of a cure than BP or any other topical/diet will be. How long can I realistically get away with using BP early in the course? I plan on moisturizing like crazy and using a ton of jojoba oil as well as drinking a ton of water.

I know doctors and everyone says "let the accutane do its job" but doesn't that usually involve an extreme flare up/initial breakout? That isn't doing it's job in my opinion and I will do anything to avoid that breakout.

MemberMember
(@looking2thefuture)

Posted : 12/24/2013 8:49 am

What dose will you be on spartan? im breaking out that a bitch at the moment:( and im scared that when i go on tane its only going get much worse. im going ask the derm if its ok to spot treat i guess with the bp

Though my derm told me with my level of acne which is mild she would be very surprised if I got a huge flare up and if you look at proper statistical data it only happens in about 30 percent of people most who have severe acne (ie lots of stuff under the skin) im jsut like you scared to death of the Ib but im trying to think ok my face is going look like shit for a few weeks then it will clear and ill be so much happier. Im trying to think about the summer and next xmas where i can properly enjoy myself rather than living in the fear that I am presently.

MemberMember
(@kim28)

Posted : 12/24/2013 12:04 pm

I used BP my whole first course and will again this second course. BP and birth control were the only thing that ever helped me pre-Accutane, so I was afraid to stop using it. I just put a tiny drop in my moisturizer. I kept doing this post-Accutane and had great skin for 9 years until I went off the pill. Going with the 'if it's not broke don't fix it' philosophy, I plan to continue my BP this time too.

However, I will note that it did not help me to avoid an initial breakout this time, and I certainly can't know if it would have been worse without the BP.

Best of luck.

MemberMember
(@markd343)

Posted : 12/24/2013 9:45 pm

Go for it! Sometimes you got to do what you feel is right. See what happens. Remember to chapstick your lips. And use Vaseline or aquaphor at night if your skin gets to dry.