Notifications
Clear all

Magnesium Cured My Back Acne

MemberMember
(@idk111)

Posted : 12/22/2013 8:49 am

Hi all,

I have posted how magnesium + calcium + d3 + zinc had cured my acne in the nutrition holistic forum. (Specifically magnesium + calcium because I have been on D3 and zinc for a while and it never really made a difference. Well, vitamin D3 helped temporarily and minorly and it never helped for my back acne).

But just in case you guys do not go there (I know that sometimes I avoided that forum because despite eating a healthy diet, my face and back were a wreck and it was frustrating). So I am posting here.

Magnesium cleared my BACK acne. I had cysts and pus filled ones. It affected my whole back and shoulders. Please consider taking it... magnesium is important if you have too much calcium in your diet. Magnesium is also needed for PROPER calcium absorption. Plus, many people are lacking in magnesium. I tried magnesium oil but that never worked for me. I had results from taking it internally in an absorbable powder form (natural calm plus calcium).

I don't wash my back with any soaps or nothing. Just let the water hit my back when I shower. That is all. I don't even have to think or worry about it.

Good luck!

MemberMember
(@markd343)

Posted : 12/23/2013 10:58 pm

How long did it take you to see results?

MemberMember
(@idk111)

Posted : 12/24/2013 9:15 am

Hi Mark,

It took me about 3-4 days to realize I was not getting any new ones. After 1 week, I knew my back had stopped getting new ones. After 2 weeks, my back was clear (of even little small ones). But the cysts went away fast.

So 1-2 weeks to get rid of the acne, and then a few months to get rid of the scarring. I stil; have hyperpigmentation scars and I've been on the magnesium since mid-October. So... But then again, my back acne was pretty severe. I was offered Accutane and declined.

I also did not mention it, but it helped with my chest acne too. My chest acne was mild though. Nothing major. But it still got rid of it.

Good luck!

MemberMember
(@markd343)

Posted : 12/24/2013 1:17 pm

Hi Mark,

It took me about 3-4 days to realize I was not getting any new ones. After 1 week, I knew my back had stopped getting new ones. After 2 weeks, my back was clear (of even little small ones). But the cysts went away fast.

So 1-2 weeks to get rid of the acne, and then a few months to get rid of the scarring. I stil; have hyperpigmentation scars and I've been on the magnesium since mid-October. So... But then again, my back acne was pretty severe. I was offered Accutane and declined.

I also did not mention it, but it helped with my chest acne too. My chest acne was mild though. Nothing major. But it still got rid of it.

Good luck!

Thank you. I will be trying this.

IDK111 liked
MemberMember
(@idk111)

Posted : 12/24/2013 5:29 pm

Awesome! :)

Let me know how it goes!

MemberMember
(@jimbob42)

Posted : 03/05/2014 9:45 pm

Any new acne since you started?

What was your dosage of magnesium per day ?

MemberMember
(@blacktrashbag)

Posted : 09/28/2014 4:29 pm

Update? Are you still clear?

MemberMember
(@blacktrashbag)

Posted : 09/29/2014 5:23 am

Interesting, because I've been taking Magnesium for a few days now, and it decreased my blood pressure. And I think it increased my insulin sensitivity. I have no new pimples at the moment. We'll see in a couple of weeks if it really works or not.

I promise I will come back with results, good or bad.

MemberMember
(@blacktrashbag)

Posted : 12/07/2014 9:03 am

Okay, I'm back.

In the past 2 months I've been experimenting with a whole spectrum of supplements.

• Magnesium
  • Zink
  • Vitamin D
  • Vitamin B
  • Iodine
  • Selenium
  • L-Carnitine
  • Chromium
  • Omega 3
  • and some other stuff that I don't remember

Seemingly none of the supplements made any difference, except for Magnesium.

It did reduce my acne (I wouldn't say it cured it), and it also stopped my hair loss. I get the feeling that my hair loss and acne is related. So I had been on magnesium for a few weeks, and then stopped and experimented with other supplements, but my acne came back, and my hair started to fall out again. So a week ago I went back to Magnesium, and no surprise: acne stopped once again, and so did my hair loss. I'm going to continue supplementing with Magnesium for an extended period of time.

Will report back in a month or so.

MemberMember
(@plzwrkfishoil)

Posted : 01/28/2015 7:29 pm

BlackTrashbag, any update on the magnesium. I am thinking of using for acne as well as the beginning stages of hairloss.

Thanks!!

MemberMember
(@blacktrashbag)

Posted : 01/30/2015 12:40 pm

Well, unfortunately I didn't stick 100% to Magnesium. In December I started applying topical ACV, but it mostly just broke me out and left red spots and scars.

In the meantime I stopped with the Magnesium. But I reintroduced it a couple of days ago.

I'm sorry I can't give you a proper update.

And since I am 100% sure my acne and my hair loss is connected, I researched it more, and now I'm sure it's caused by DHT overproduction. If you're interested, check out this post:

So now I'm also taking a prostate supplement which contains a little saw palmetto, pumpkin seed oil and stinging nettle. I also drink two cups of stinging nettle tea a day, and approximately 2 tablespoons of pumpkin seed oil.

Also, I decided to go on a gluten and dairy and nightshade free low fat vegan diet for February (I've been on a paleo diet for 6 months now, and it made a big difference - didn't cure me though).

I'm thinking of making a separate post to log my progress.

MemberMember
(@mrsrobinson)

Posted : 02/06/2015 9:32 pm

thanks for keeping us posted on all of this....what was your acne like, cystic? and where is it concentrated

Well, unfortunately I didn't stick 100% to Magnesium. In December I started applying topical ACV, but it mostly just broke me out and left red spots and scars.

In the meantime I stopped with the Magnesium. But I reintroduced it a couple of days ago.

I'm sorry I can't give you a proper update.

And since I am 100% sure my acne and my hair loss is connected, I researched it more, and now I'm sure it's caused by DHT overproduction. If you're interested, check out this post:

So now I'm also taking a prostate supplement which contains a little saw palmetto, pumpkin seed oil and stinging nettle. I also drink two cups of stinging nettle tea a day, and approximately 2 tablespoons of pumpkin seed oil.

Also, I decided to go on a gluten and dairy and nightshade free low fat vegan diet for February (I've been on a paleo diet for 6 months now, and it made a big difference - didn't cure me though).

I'm thinking of making a separate post to log my progress.

MemberMember
(@mrsrobinson)

Posted : 02/06/2015 9:55 pm

also, what dosage? thanks!!

MemberMember
(@magic)

Posted : 03/28/2015 3:15 am

I stopped all supplements and vitamins almost exactly a year ago.

I manage acne by applying 2.5% BP every few days and also washing every day with 10% BP soap. This keeps my face clear.

The 10% BP soap mostly keeps my body clear too, but not completely, and recently, my chest starting to break out a lot.

So a week ago, being pretty certain that I have some degree of vitamin D deficiency, I started taking 5000iu per day.

Within days the inflammation on my chest stopped completely and is healing fast. Still a few new spots on my back though.

I noticed something else when I started taking vitamin D, mild anxiety.

I searched "vitamin d anxiety" and I find a few articles saying if you start taking vitamin D, and are deficient in magnesium, you may experience anxiety.

So I am for sure deficient in magnesium.

Out of interest, I also googled "magnesium acne", and I find this thread and other writings like it.

I'm going to start taking 600mg per day and monitor the effect, not rush in to taking everything that helped the OP, just one thing at a time and monitor.

This combo seems promising though.

MemberMember
(@plzwrkfishoil)

Posted : 04/13/2015 8:48 pm

Any update magic? Interested to hear as my research has me jumping down this rabbit hole also.

MemberMember
(@magic)

Posted : 05/15/2015 10:33 pm

Some improvement, but certainly not a cure for me, I'm going to add zinc starting today.

Starting the magnesium instantly relieved my anxiety though, and the constipation I was experiencing since starting D3, also I sleep better.

MemberMember
(@magic)

Posted : 06/08/2015 3:48 am

Just thought I would leave an update, I added zinc to my regimen, didn't notice a great deal, then I added vitamin A, WOW, it's been two weeks and my skin is looking great, it seems like I've finally found MY 'cure' after 20 years, here's what I take...

Morning:
Vitamin D3 - 5,000iu
Vitamin A - 10,000iu (fish liver oil based)
Vitamin C - 500mg
Calcium/Magnesium/Zinc - 1000mg/400mg/25mg (single multi pill)
Night:
Magnesium Citrate - 400mg
Zinc Gluconate - 25mg
Vitamin C - 500mg

And last week I had 2 days where I drank a LOT of beer, then the day after I lazed about eating pizza and didn't shower or use BP for 2 days, that would be a recipe for a bad breakout but I took these supplements and my skin actually improved further.

Only 2 weeks, but this combo looks like it could be my 'the one'.

I double take the zinc and magnesium because the forms of those minerals in the combined Calcium/Magnesium/Zinc pill are not the best forms, so I take them again later in the optimal forms, and they help me sleep well when I take them before bed.

The vitamin A really made such a huge difference, but I think there's a synergistic effect happening with all that I'm taking.

I've been around this forum a LONG time, I've suffered with acne for 2 decades, I've tried everything, I've seen so many threads from people saying they found their cure only for me to try it and it not to work, all I can say to everyone is don't give up, I HAD given up and was just living with using BP and accepting back acne, but finally, I think I've cracked it.

MemberMember
(@mrfringe)

Posted : 06/13/2015 2:08 am

Magic, how's it going?

I started taking 50mg of Zinc about a week ago and after 3 days my skin cleared. Now, after 8 days I'm breaking out.

Not sure if the zinc is working or if this is an initial breakout?

I might try adding vitamin A or magnesium to the mix.

MemberMember
(@magic)

Posted : 07/02/2015 3:37 am

I didn't get an initial breakout, and I think the type of magnesium and zinc you take is important, in my nighttime vitamins I mention the types. Vitamin d3 is important, but for sure the turning point for me was vitamin A.My back broke out again but it was due to letting sweat dry in on my body, I live in the tropics and for a few days in a row my back was getting soaked with sweat and was drying in before I could shower, once I stopped that happening my back healed again really quickly. I still wake up with some spots around my chin if I don't use BP, but they're tiny, not inflamed or the type that cause scarring, and they're gone after I have a shower. I now take 10,000iu vitamin A in the morning AND another 10,000 at night. Once my back is completely clear I'll drop down to 10,000 once per day.I really recommend you give vitamin A a try, it should be from fish oil, not the beta carotene type.

MemberMember
(@kayvee12)

Posted : 07/15/2015 6:11 pm

Hi Magic,

Are you still using bp wash and topical creams in addition to taking the vitamins/supplements? I have definitely seen some improvement when I added magnesium to the mix (I was taking zinc and vitamin D3). I just started the vitamin A 3 days ago but so far no change, in fact I've broken out more, but this prob due to the pizza I allowed myself to eat. This no dairy business is hard.

Anyway my chest has been super dry from panoxyl and bp cream. Should I stop these all together and just let the vitamins do their job? I don't want my body to overproduce oil.

MemberMember
(@magic)

Posted : 07/19/2015 2:03 am

I still use the BP soap, but once this bar is done I most likely won't buy a new one, I don't think I need it now.

And I pretty much don't apply BP gel/cream any more, maybe once a week or so as I have it here and want to use it up.

An initial breakout with vitamin A is possible, but give it a couple of weeks to gauge how it's working, it really has been a miracle for me.

MemberMember
(@only4theweak187)

Posted : 07/23/2015 3:45 am

Which supplements do you use? Cold you provide links?

MemberMember
(@magic)

Posted : 07/29/2015 7:02 am

Which supplements do you use? Cold you provide links?

Sure...

Vitamin D - http://www.iherb.com/Healthy-Origins-Vitamin-D3-5-000-IU-120-Softgels/18341

Vitamin A - http://www.iherb.com/Nature-s-Way-Vitamin-A-10-000-IU-100-Softgels/1886

Magnesium - http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Magnesium-Citrate-120-Vcaps/698

The zinc I use is a brand I bought in Thailand, zinc gluconate.

I have recently ordered this K2 - http://www.iherb.com/Jarrow-Formulas-MK-7-Vitamin-K2-as-MK-7-90-mcg-60-Softgels/256

This different Vitamin A - http://www.iherb.com/Carlson-Labs-Vitamin-A-10-000-IU-Natural-250-Soft-Gels/15282

I'm yet to try them but I'm confident the vitamin A will be just as good, and I want the K2 for its synergistic effects with my other sups.

Also, to update, I no longer wake up with those tiny spots on my face, I get no acne on my face now at all, ever.

I've had a few on my back and one on my chest recently when I dropped back down to 10,000iu vitamin A, but once I went back to 20,000iu they are disappearing quick.

I'm amazed at how well this has worked for me, after 20 years of battling, this is all it took?

MemberMember
(@only4theweak187)

Posted : 07/30/2015 3:58 am

Thanks so much

MemberMember
(@parasitescauseacne)

Posted : 08/24/2015 11:00 pm

What's the science behind your claim?