Notifications
Clear all

Tiny Comedonal Bumps Everywhere S.o.s!

MemberMember
(@comedonalcrisis871995)

Posted : 12/22/2013 1:33 am

OKAY, so I've had acne problems for quite some time. Often I break out with cysts here and there, but for the last several months I've been developing these tiny bumps all over my cheeks. They spread from my temples, and made their way all the way down to my jawline. I'm not sure what the f they are, i think they're closed comedones, but when i squeeze them, nothing comes out. They are REALLY tiny, but VERY visible in the right light. I have NO IDEA what is causing this, I've tried Tazorac (which was a living hell after a couple of weeks), and I've tried various vitamin supplements, but they seem to be spreading rapidly. I'm a freshman at college, and these little guys really chew away at my self-esteem. I've been picking at the bigger ones, which causes scaring. Also, I have a REALLY bad habit of rubbing my hand against my face, probably because I'm so self-conscious about it.

NOTE: There A LOT worse on the right side. I thought it might be the pillow case, so I washed the sheets and pillows often (every 1-3 days). But no effect... :(

Also, I sometimes have REALLY bad cystic breakouts on the LEFT side, but its so annoying im not even gonna get into that...

I read about Apple Cider Vinegar, and most of what I read were really good. I just started, so I'll see if it makes any difference.

I would love to get these out of my life by the start of the next semester, so if anyone can offer some advice, I will love you long time :)

PICTURE ATTACHED (brace yourselves..)

post-367175-0-56301000-1387693489.jpg

post-367175-0-56301000-1387693489.jpg

MemberMember
(@val4063)

Posted : 01/25/2014 4:06 pm

I just posted about this same situation! Its like im reading my own post! Yes you have closed comedones or clogged pores. I've been dealing with it for 2 years now, I'm a registered nurse and I work for a dermatologist who keeps suggesting Accutane for it. I know that salicylic acid helps unclog pores but it can be very expensive to get these peels every two weeks. I'm about to change my whole diet and avoid ALL dairy products for about two weeks. Ill see if this makes a difference. Idk what else to try bc I have tried everything except accutane! Blah! Let me know if you find anything that helps. Praying for you! ------------ Victoria

MemberMember
(@apolloslyre)

Posted : 01/26/2014 4:23 pm

i have them too on my jawline and left cheek and i'm using accutane,i assure you accutane doesnt work on them properly

MemberMember
(@olly-c)

Posted : 01/26/2014 5:44 pm

You could try Salicylic acid peels from amazon (please be careful though).

I find that treatments like that work better when I'm taking some sort of oral medication too.

Have you tried Dan's regimen? benzoyl peroxide could definitely fix this but obviously requires maintenance.

MemberMember
(@darkdubzs)

Posted : 01/26/2014 11:43 pm

Would you consider going on The Regimen? Or just use salicylic acid, if that doesnt work, try 2.5% Benzoyl peroxide.

Good luck!

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 01/27/2014 12:54 am

What kinds of products are you using on your face (cleanser, shaving cream, moisturizer)? Did you start using anything new when these started popping up?

MemberMember
(@val4063)

Posted : 01/28/2014 2:22 pm

Morgo K, suggesting salicylic acids off amazon is a pretty good suggestion. Although she should be careful as skin of dark hues can hyperpigment, so its better to get medical advice first and maybe try on with a professional the first time. everyones skin is different, i will just write what i have been doing at home. Sal peels are very safe if you start off with a 15% once or twice a month for several months and then up it to 20% for a couple weeks. Although these should not be used during pregnancy. That could save the her a lot of cash since chem peels in a doc office range from 60-130$ per peel!! Amazon has professional brands that are dirt cheap, like around 12-15$ which would last for multiple peels. It doesn't take much at all. I do these at home all the time. I leave them on for around 3 mins and neutralize with plain old water! ;) have a blessed day everyone!!!!

MemberMember
(@darkdubzs)

Posted : 01/28/2014 8:13 pm

Morgo K, suggesting salicylic acids off amazon is a pretty good suggestion. Although she should be careful as skin of dark hues can hyperpigment, so its better to get medical advice first and maybe try on with a professional the first time. everyones skin is different, i will just write what i have been doing at home. Sal peels are very safe if you start off with a 15% once or twice a month for several months and then up it to 20% for a couple weeks. Although these should not be used during pregnancy. That could save the her a lot of cash since chem peels in a doc office range from 60-130$ per peel!! Amazon has professional brands that are dirt cheap, like around 12-15$ which would last for multiple peels. It doesn't take much at all. I do these at home all the time. I leave them on for around 3 mins and neutralize with plain old water! wink.png have a blessed day everyone!!!!

Checmical peels dont seem necessary for this. Again, a Salicylic acid treatment system could be very successful for small comedone eruptions like this.

BP would be better for big classic zits filled with white puss, which is why most people need BP, because most people have that kind of classic zit acne.

MemberMember
(@val4063)

Posted : 01/28/2014 8:27 pm

Yes I do agree that BP is better for larger white pustules and for spot treating, but for maintenance and treating larger areas I think continued sal acid peels help to renew the pore from inside out and prevent them from clogging again. Plus it's much less irritating than slathering BP all over your face. I think peels every two weeks will help in long run to unclog the pores.

MemberMember
(@darkdubzs)

Posted : 01/28/2014 11:50 pm

Yes I do agree that BP is better for larger white pustules and for spot treating, but for maintenance and treating larger areas I think continued sal acid peels help to renew the pore from inside out and prevent them from clogging again. Plus it's much less irritating than slathering BP all over your face. I think peels every two weeks will help in long run to unclog the pores.

Agreed, but i think a salicylic treatment will be really needed and the peels will also be a part of it like you said, every two weeks. A face wash with salicylic acid would be of great use in this i believe. You can also try a natural face cleanser with no chemicals, then use something with SA to leave on your face like Neutrogena Acne Stress Control Triple-Action Toner, then use moisturizer if you need to; basically like The Regimen, but replace BP for SA. I think either of those options would really help and work.

Good luck!

MemberMember
(@bonsai77)

Posted : 01/29/2014 1:48 pm

Exfolaition helped me, but not manually with a scrub (they sometimes irritate them as its easy just to try and scrub them away), i used a glycolic acid facewash from a SK:N clinic, its a chemical exfoliant and rally helped me. It didnt inflame them either, just dried them up.

I was also prescribed differin, a retinoid, which also exfoliates.

This is what helped me. I wish you look. Be grateful though that they dont throb like a cyst. I know they are not nice to have, but it could always be worse.

MemberMember
(@a-p)

Posted : 01/30/2014 4:06 pm

OKAY, so I've had acne problems for quite some time. Often I break out with cysts here and there, but for the last several months I've been developing these tiny bumps all over my cheeks. They spread from my temples, and made their way all the way down to my jawline. I'm not sure what the f they are, i think they're closed comedones, but when i squeeze them, nothing comes out. They are REALLY tiny, but VERY visible in the right light. I have NO IDEA what is causing this, I've tried Tazorac (which was a living hell after a couple of weeks), and I've tried various vitamin supplements, but they seem to be spreading rapidly. I'm a freshman at college, and these little guys really chew away at my self-esteem. I've been picking at the bigger ones, which causes scaring. Also, I have a REALLY bad habit of rubbing my hand against my face, probably because I'm so self-conscious about it.

NOTE: There A LOT worse on the right side. I thought it might be the pillow case, so I washed the sheets and pillows often (every 1-3 days). But no effect... 🙁

Also, I sometimes have REALLY bad cystic breakouts on the LEFT side, but its so annoying im not even gonna get into that...

I read about Apple Cider Vinegar, and most of what I read were really good. I just started, so I'll see if it makes any difference.

I would love to get these out of my life by the start of the next semester, so if anyone can offer some advice, I will love you long time 🙂

PICTURE ATTACHED (brace yourselves..)

attachicon.gifIMG_3437.JPG

I would go see a doctor, or whoever can give you a prescription for Bactrim. This stuff works my closed comedones have gotten better since on this antibiotic. Don't pick at them it can cause them to become inflamed.

MemberMember
(@darkdubzs)

Posted : 01/30/2014 5:24 pm

Don't pick at them it can cause them to become inflamed.

+1. Still trying to fight away my hands from picking at pimples on my face. It just feels natural, but will always lead to worse things.

MemberMember
(@a-p)

Posted : 01/30/2014 5:59 pm

+1. Still trying to fight away my hands from picking at pimples on my face. It just feels natural, but will always lead to worse things.

Yea me too! I admit I still try to pop my acne but, if you must make sure your hands and fingers are clean. If the pimple doesn't pop easily leave it be. Always wash hands and face before doing an extraction. Disinfect lesion after extraction and apply antibiotic ointment immediately.

MemberMember
(@darkdubzs)

Posted : 01/30/2014 9:53 pm

Yea me too! I admit I still try to pop my acne but, if you must make sure your hands and fingers are clean. If the pimple doesn't pop easily leave it be. Always wash hands and face before doing an extraction. Disinfect lesion after extraction and apply antibiotic ointment immediately.

Its not good at all even if your hands have no germs on them at all lol. Reason being, you damage the pore when you pop a pimple or pick at it and it will just lead to another pimple in the same spot.

MemberMember
(@a-p)

Posted : 01/31/2014 12:04 am

Its not good at all even if your hands have no germs on them at all lol. Reason being, you damage the pore when you pop a pimple or pick at it and it will just lead to another pimple in the same spot.

Only if you are trying to extract a pimple that isn't ready. If you squeeze a pimple that won't budge over,and over and over again, the pore may just rupture and cause a cystic acne lesion.

If you pop a pimple with a white pus filled head, clean it with a toner containing alcohol afterward. Then you put on your antibiotic ointment. Even though its a small wound you need an occlusive bandage. There could be pus left behind and you don't want it to crust over right away causing another infection. That's why you should always put an antibiotic ointment on after you pop a pimple.

Your pore will repair itself as it heals. People are going to pop their own pimples no matter what. If you're going to do it, do it the right way and you will be fine.

MemberMember
(@elegantsurf)

Posted : 06/13/2014 7:44 am

I know this thread is kind of old. I had the exact same bumps (I do not think they are acne) and here are two things that helped me a lot!

1. For people who wear makeup--don't use any makeup brushes. Don't touch your face at all. These bumps spread when you touch them. Exfoliating made them worse for me because I was irritating them.

2. Change any products you're using one at a time to determine if you're allergic. Wait at least 3 weeks before changing anything else to see if that makes a difference.

For me, it was Cetaphil that was either causing the bumps or making them worse--and I never suspected it for about 2 years. I barely put anything on my face because it's sensitive, so I was completely stumped as to what was causing the bumps. They are not completely gone now, but I could tell as soon as I stopped using the Cetaphil that they were greatly improving.

Hope this helps people! I never want anyone to lose their confidence over these issues!!

MemberMember
(@sky13)

Posted : 06/13/2014 7:53 am

I know this thread is kind of old. I had the exact same bumps (I do not think they are acne) and here are two things that helped me a lot!

1. For people who wear makeup--don't use any makeup brushes. Don't touch your face at all. These bumps spread when you touch them. Exfoliating made them worse for me because I was irritating them.

2. Change any products you're using one at a time to determine if you're allergic. Wait at least 3 weeks before changing anything else to see if that makes a difference.

For me, it was Cetaphil that was either causing the bumps or making them worse--and I never suspected it for about 2 years. I barely put anything on my face because it's sensitive, so I was completely stumped as to what was causing the bumps. They are not completely gone now, but I could tell as soon as I stopped using the Cetaphil that they were greatly improving.

Hope this helps people! I never want anyone to lose their confidence over these issues!!

Cetaphil caused me to get them too the moisturizer, Id never had that type of acne ever before and Cetaphil was the only thing I had added into my regimen. Like you, they are still not completely gone but a lot lot better than when I was using it.

MemberMember
(@blackstock94)

Posted : 06/13/2014 6:41 pm

I use Paula's Choice 2% BHA Lotion and that keeps me from getting them.

MemberMember
(@elegantsurf)

Posted : 06/26/2014 7:18 am

All those pesky bumps seem to be slowly getting better, but are not completely gone. Sometimes it's hard to tell if they're improving because you can only see them in certain lighting.

I added a 2% Salicylic Acid lotion to my routine recently, and I think that's helping too. Before, I didn't actually use any acne fighting products because my skin is super sensitive. The SA isn't bothering me too much right now though.

MemberMember
(@sky13)

Posted : 06/26/2014 7:43 am

I use Paula's Choice 2% BHA Lotion and that keeps me from getting them.

Ive been looking at this recently, does it work well + how quickly?

MemberMember
(@misssac17)

Posted : 07/04/2014 7:02 am

I'm finding I am in this situation as well and seriously don't know what to do.

Thinking about going to doctors for a retinoid but then I don't know what one.

Also considering at home peel but I have very sensitive skin and would be nervous about it...

It's so bloody frustrating.

MemberMember
(@corporeal)

Posted : 07/05/2014 1:40 pm

I am in the same boat! Have been for 6 months and can't find out what it is and how to get rid of them.

I started using Neutrogena Healthy Skin Anti-Wrinkle Spf 15 w/ Retinol & Multi-vitamins again because I used it before when my skin was puurrrfectly clear- also just a note for this moisturizer, I think it's only good for people who don't have damaged skin, which is what I have right now (red, inflamed, irritated). Been on it for 2 weeks and it just makes me feel super greasy and oily. But i figured I'd stick it out for at least 3 weeks for any changes. Just seems to make my skin red...probably not a good thing but I'll never know unless I stick with it for a while...right...?

My problem has been finding the right moisturizer. I went into a metaphysical shop for some other shoppings and the store owner told me it's because my skin is unbalanced, too dry then too oily. She suggested me to buy some Aztec Bentonite Clay and to mix Apple Cider Vinegar with it using the mask once a week. I started doing this about 3 weeks ago. Not any noticeable improvement yet. But I'm sticking with it.

I feel so lost and I have no idea what kind of derm to go to bc I don't want to get prescribed some harsh topical cream, as that has happened to me in the past and only irritated my skin (proactiv, differin, any benz perox) (it's sensitive).

I also just ordered these samples from Paula's Choice. Any suggestions on which one I should try first? Especially with the retinol? (as I've searched that they work well together).

PriceQuantityTotalSkin Perfecting 1% BHA Lotion Exfoliant$0.801$0.80Skin Perfecting 1% BHA Gel Exfoliant$0.802$1.60Hydralight Moisture-Infusing Lotion$0.002$0.00Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Gel Exfoliant$0.001$0.00Skin Balancing Invisible Finish Moisture Gel$0.802$1.60Hydralight Shine-Free Daily Mineral Complex SPF 30

If anyone has a clear direction (pun intended) of how to fix this disastrous problem plllllease I would appreciate any feedback!!! Thank you!

MemberMember
(@elegantsurf)

Posted : 07/09/2014 1:30 pm

I feel so lost and I have no idea what kind of derm to go to bc I don't want to get prescribed some harsh topical cream, as that has happened to me in the past and only irritated my skin (proactiv, differin, any benz perox) (it's sensitive).

I totally get not wanting a harsh topical. I pretty much totally stopped believing topicals could work for me because tretinoin cream made my face so horrible, red, and dry. Also any over the counter acne stuff makes my skin super dry and the acne gets worse. It's tough fighting acne when the creams you're supposed to use actually do more damage than good!

The only that has worked for me is antibiotics, but you can't stay on them forever...

MemberMember
(@elegantsurf)

Posted : 07/29/2014 9:03 am

Hey! For anyone still out there...

I went to the derm and got some more help with this problem. Here's what I'm doing:

1. He told me to apply Aqua Glycolic Toner to dry skin then rinse off with just water. Do not use any face wash.

2. The derm told me not to use any moisturizer--this was the hard part for me.

3. I applied AcZone 2x per day.

So, I completely changed my routine to follow the derm's instructions exactly. This is REALLY working for me against the small bumps. I can't pin-point exactly what's working, but I think it's the Aqua Glycolic. I recommended Aqua Glycolic to my mom and she is using it, too.