Notifications
Clear all

Cerave Lotion A Lie?

MemberMember
(@balance-bird)

Posted : 12/21/2013 3:45 pm

I'm just become paranoid about products. I've searched high and low, for good products, but there is always something wrong with them. I don't trust cetaphil cause it breaks people out. And I thought CeraVe was good, but I suspect it causes breakouts. I'm 95% clear (knock on wood), and I don't want to compromise my skin by a dumb topical.

I've switched out all my hair products to just natural non acne forming productsI actually only use two products now. I use a probiotic shower gel, I use only natural sensitive detergent with no waxes.

But I wish I could moisturize my skin. But why go my does every facial lotion that seems kind of affordable have awful ingredients!?

CeraVe is supposed to be amazingbut I've read lots of reviews that it ruins people's skinI suspect it's the CETEARETH-20 AND CETEARYL ALCOHOL.

zHow come companies blame to be helping out acne, but just harm it more? Does anyone have a lotion they swear by that is affordable or worth the money?

I'm absolutely terrified to use sunscreensand kind think I could get skin cancer cause I'm so stubborn. That's not fair...

And how long should one test a product and where to see if it's acne causing?

With eating foodI think it takes about 3 weeks to see acne crop up right? But a topical is way faster? Does anyone know the time for internal or external pimple forming? Thanks guys. I just want to be moisturized an lovely as possible.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 12/21/2013 5:55 pm

Did you try safflower oil?

MemberMember
(@balance-bird)

Posted : 12/21/2013 6:03 pm

Yes, and tamuna, and jojoba oil

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 12/21/2013 6:07 pm

And?

MemberMember
(@balance-bird)

Posted : 12/21/2013 6:11 pm

And?

I've tried the so called "best oils" and those all caused little whiteheads :(

MemberMember
(@leadingforce)

Posted : 12/21/2013 6:42 pm

clear and clean dual moisturizer is good , been using it for 3 weeks now no clogging pore ingredients

i keep my regimen simple since alot of product has clog pore ingredients so i only use moisturizer and retin a and my face is so much smoother no acne bumps

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 12/21/2013 8:50 pm

CeraVe lotion breaks me out too. Try running your products through cosdna before trying them. Most moisturizers clog me, but I have had luck with vaseline, aloe, and hyaluronic acid.

MemberMember
(@markd343)

Posted : 12/21/2013 9:28 pm

It's trial and error till you find your moisturizer. I tried 6 different moisturizers till I found one that didn't break me out.

MemberMember
(@kim28)

Posted : 12/22/2013 11:36 pm

I think COSdna and sites like that induce a lot of paranoia. If you are using them, be sure to do additional research on anything it mentions that you fear. COSdna is good at providing links to the research it uses, but there is a lot of other good, peer reviewed stuff out there that contradicts some of the findings it uses. It helps to put things in perspective. And just because it has a comedogenic ingredient doesn't mean it will cause breakouts - it depends on where it is on the list, and a lot of things (like stearic acid, for example) can come from multiple sources, so the same ingredient in two different things might not be as 'the same' as it seems.

On top of that, when you are mixing a lot of things together (moisturizers usually contain fifty million ingredients) it is hard to know if they will do the same things they do when tested alone in a lab on a bunny ear (usual test for comedogenicity). So it really is a trial and error thing.

I have had problems similar to yours with things people love. Cerave made my skin dry instead of moisturized, cetaphil gives me little bumps, etc, etc. I have always used Moisturel, which is dimethicone and petroleum based. Many people swear that dimethicone and petroleum clog pores and are evil, but I love them because they never cause me breakouts or reactions.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend Moisturel. It's kind of tacky, and I have to be careful not to use too much or it's hard to get makeup on over the stickiness. But, every now and then I will think "I wish I could try something nice like normal people use", and I'll do it, and then regret it and go running back to my Moisturel.

Best of luck to you. Try not to get too paranoid, find something you like okay and stick with it. Changing products a lot is harder on your skin than anything.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 12/26/2013 1:13 pm

Try Boscia, Shea Moisture/Organics, and Image Cosmetics' Ormedic line. I don't trust cerave either.

Bt, I found errors on Cosdna...it's a useful resource, but if you want to be sure, double check the ingredients list to make sure everything is included in the cosdna listing.

MemberMember
(@a-p)

Posted : 01/31/2014 7:26 pm

Pure vegetable glycerin mixed with water works amazing. It doesn't clog your pores like everyone thinks.

MemberMember
(@cc12)

Posted : 02/01/2014 1:40 pm

I use Cerave and I initially hated it...until I realized that I was using it wrong. Once I started applying it like a topical gel, rather than applying it like a lotion, I started having much better results. I've found that it works much better when it's applied in tiny amounts, and at least 15-20 minutes after applying my prescription acne medications. Now it's the only lotion I'll use.

My theory is that some of the people who are having problems with Cerave may just be using too much of it.

Although, I do agree with the above comment that finding your perfect lotion is trial and error. We all have different skin.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 03/17/2014 3:15 pm

You really should use sunscreen, try a mineral/physical sunscreen if you're apprehensive about chemical ones, they're more effective and they're more suited for sensitive skin.

MemberMember
(@sharpy)

Posted : 03/19/2014 7:05 am

I've also been having a bear of time trying to figure out which moisturizer to use. Trying to make a long story short, used BP for years and it worked very well and then suddenly, it started to make my skin red and peel like crazy. I've been trying for two years now to get my acne back under control but to no avail. I read Dan's review of Cerave moisturizer and it made me worry that it was breaking me out too! I started searching again for a moisturizer without comedogenic ingredients. I got really frustrated and finally just went to drugstore.com and brought up all moisturizers for sensitive skin in a list sorted by popularity. Then I went one by one and pasted the ingredients into cosdna. The first one I found that seemed OK was La Roche-Possay Toleriane Fluid(e). Squalane has a comedogenic score of 1 and some of the ingredients I couldn't find comedogenic info on but I like that it doesn't have a massive list of ingredients. Down side is that it's really expensive ($30) but if it works, I'd pay more than that.

But I agree with the others--you have to use a sunscreen!!! (Even if you don't get skin cancer from it, you'll definitely get wrinkles, sun spots, and possibly more acne). It needs to be at least SPF 15 and must block both UVA and UVB. Personally, I would only use a physical one, not chemical (zinc oxide blocks both). I use Paula's Choice RESIST Super-Light Daily Wrinkle Defense SPF 30. Cosdna has one ingredient with a comedogenic rating of 2--Hexylene Glycol--but it's near the bottom. Take this as you will but it says this on the PC site: Is RESIST Super-Light Daily Wrinkle Defense SPF 30 suitable for breakout-prone skin? Yes. Despite containing 13% zinc oxide, this formula was designed so that the zinc oxide "floats" over skin rather than settling into pores. This is accomplished via silicone technology, which also enables the zinc oxide to be cosmetically eleganta difference you will see and feel with each use! I have no idea if this is actually true but I have noticed it doesn't dry me out like other physical sunscreens have in the past.