Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GuardedlyOptimistic

How deep does dermabra/laser go?

Hello,

First off, i would like to thank you all for being so supportive and answering all my questions upto this point. I was researching the dermabrasion and laser resurfacing methods (Erbium Yag/ Co2) and cannot find any website that will tell me how deep into the skin the resurfacing goes.

Please could someone tell me, does dermabrasion/laser take off the epidermis or does it it go into the dermis? I would assume that the damage cannot happen at the dermis level because of the oil glands/ sweat glands etc....thus, the damage done with (by example) a laser could be compared to a third degree burn? Would this be correct?

I would great appreciate as many responses as possible as it would be interesting to read eveyone's opinion smile.gif Thank you very much

eusa_pray.gif

It's dependent on the operator, but I think deep dermabrasions and Co2 goes down to the reticular dermis, which is the mid-dermis I think? Gotta check on that.

The reticular dermis is the lower layer, and the papillary is the upper. Most docs would go as far as the papillary dermis during resurfacing for acne scars, some even farther.

HI,

thanks for your replies. I'm a little confused, and since you guys know so much i'm hoping you could help me out.

How can laser/derma go into the dermis? I find this amazing especially since, and please correct me if i'm wrong, the sebaceous glands are located in the dermis. Would then the resurfacing destroy the glands? Also, could damage to the dermis cause skin cancer since the melanin producing cells are there?

Thanks, Please respond smile.gif

The glands will not be destroyed unless the roots are eliminated, which can only happen if the resurfacing extends into the very deep layer of the dermis, by which time you will have scarred . Take a look at a skin layer diagram and you'll know what I mean. The melanin producing cells are also in the deep dermis, if I'm not mistaken. I think dermabrasion or Co2 laser, when cautiously performed, affects only 1/4 of the total depth of the dermis. Only if dermabrasion were precise as laser, whereby you can eliminate the dermis to the very tip of the gland roots. I think that would double or even triple the improvement one could expect.

HI,

thanks for your replies. I'm a little confused, and since you guys know so much i'm hoping you could help me out.

How can laser/derma go into the dermis? I find this amazing especially since, and please correct me if i'm wrong, the sebaceous glands are located in the dermis. Would then the resurfacing destroy the glands? Also, could damage to the dermis cause skin cancer since the melanin producing cells are there?

Thanks, Please respond smile.gif

The glands will not be destroyed unless the roots are eliminated, which can only happen if the resurfacing extends into the very deep layer of the dermis, by which time you will have scarred .  Take a look at a skin layer diagram and you'll know what I mean.  The melanin producing cells are also in the deep dermis, if I'm not mistaken.  I think dermabrasion or Co2 laser, when cautiously performed, affects only 1/4 of the total depth of the dermis.  Only if dermabrasion were precise as laser, whereby you can eliminate the dermis to the very tip of the gland roots.  I think that would double or even triple the improvement one could expect.

GuardedlyOptimistic, there's a book that addresses this called "Breaking Out." It's by Lydia Preston-- there's an entire section on scars, and it makes important distinctions between Laser Resurfacing and Mechanical Resurfacing. Dr. Yarborough is quoted, and named as the dermabrasion doc (there are three other doctors named in this book who are supposedly experts at scar revision, one of the others being Dr. Tina Alster in DC, who Preston characterizes as the Laser Doc[as opposed to the dermabrasion doc]).

goldrex- i have also heard of dr alster, she has an amazing reputation, but sadly i called her office and shes got so many patients she wont take any more sad.gif

hi

i have had three laser resurfaccing so far. how deep the surgen goes depends on the skin. they will not go to the lower layer of the dermis as this will cause more scarring. my doc told me approx. 3mm. although this is pretty small, it also stimulates collagen so this also helps to remove the scars.

I would definently recommend laser resurfacing (with a reputable doc), it is more preceise than demabrasion (which could be described as a good exfoliation) and it can go deeper.

the main problem with laser is that people dont keep the vaseline on for the first few weeks after the procedure.

i went through loads of large vaseline jars after all my resurfacings. i used to set the alarm in the middle of the night for the first few nites just to put on vaseline. if the skin is let dry out it will cause pigmentation or even more scarring.

I am not saying my skin is scar free cause its not (far from) but the laser resurfacings has improved it greatly and i will be getting it done again in a year or so.

Molly

hi

i have had three laser resurfaccing so far. how deep the surgen goes depends on the skin. they will not go to the lower layer of the dermis as this will cause more scarring.  my doc told me approx. 3mm. although this is pretty small, it also stimulates collagen so this also helps to remove the scars.

I would definently recommend laser resurfacing (with a reputable doc), it is more preceise than demabrasion (which could be described as a good exfoliation) and it can go deeper.

the main problem with laser is that people dont keep the vaseline on for the first few weeks after the procedure.

i went through loads of large vaseline jars after all my resurfacings. i used to set the alarm in the middle of the night for the first few nites just to put on vaseline. if the skin is let dry out it will cause pigmentation or even more scarring. 

I am not saying my skin is scar free cause its not (far from) but the laser resurfacings has improved it greatly and i will be getting it done again in a year or so.

Molly

hi

i have had three laser resurfaccing so far. how deep the surgen goes depends on the skin. they will not go to the lower layer of the dermis as this will cause more scarring.  my doc told me approx. 3mm. although this is pretty small, it also stimulates collagen so this also helps to remove the scars.

Molly