Notifications
Clear all

Why Is Acne Viewed As A Joke By Society?

MemberMember
(@fatalbert911)

Posted : 12/17/2013 3:39 pm

Hello once again org, it's been a while since I've logged on and posted a topic here on the forums. So I'm here today and would like to ask you guy's do you think acne is the only disease that's literally laughed at by general society here in America/usa? I've noticed that in a variety of movies,radio, and tv shows where there has been certain remarks made about acne in a way that is clearly making fun of the condition.

People in America seem to view it as something funny, why? I genuinely don't get why something like this would be viewed as comedic, I always lose respect for people that make fun of it, because it's such a cheap joke. I once was a somewhat fan of a youtuber some time ago & I remember them one time making a joke about acne. after that I never watched any of their vids again, I had lost much respect for that person. if they have had it themselves then I would have let it slide but it didn't appear that way, they had just about perfect skin.

To me it just seems like people are too dumb nowadays to be able to know how to act in reality & not like they are in a god dame comedy show. it's one thing for a show like family guy or south park to make fun of acne I mean that's to be expected almost lol. but people seem to think it's ok to do it in real life just because they saw it on a tv show, know what I mean? At least that's what I think is partly happening & to be honest I think America is full of dumbasses anyway. After years of living with acne I conclude people are just plain stupid & clearly don't know how to act anymore.

MemberMember
(@leadingforce)

Posted : 12/17/2013 3:47 pm

some people are just ignorant in different areas where we live

MemberMember
(@brandylad)

Posted : 12/17/2013 3:52 pm

people are just ignorant to the many factors that can cause acne, lack of knowledge plays a huge role imo... Here in the U.K. acne is made fun of by many people including tv shows etc etc they tend to state it in a way of little pubescent teenagers when in reality acne can be completely seperate

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 12/17/2013 3:53 pm

It's the same reason why people make fun of overweight individuals, or blondes, or lawyers, etc. Mediocre humor works by hurting the "outgroup". If you have ever heard a male comedian make of women, or a black comedian make fun of white people (for example), it's because it's an easy, thoughtless way to get someone to laugh without expending much effort.

Personally, I find people who make fun of themselves much funnier than people who make fun of others. Society will always choose easy targets to torture, unfortunately. :(

MemberMember
(@unacceptedrealist)

Posted : 12/17/2013 7:58 pm

Quite simply, because "society" doesn't understand it. Generally speaking, people only care about things they've been forced to understand through personal experience. And, to be honest, I think this site is a great example of this -- people often use their own experience with acne as a basis for their overall opinion about it. They're quick to demean acne by either comparing it to more "serious" conditions or by offering simple means of treating it. Around here you may not hear things like "you need to wash your face more often," but the same sentiment is shared (in more indirect ways) quite often.

Is this "wrong"?

Perhaps -- but, at the same time, I don't think it's fair to declare people as being "too dumb nowadays." It's very difficult to understand something you've never experienced; and, for a majority of "society," acne is nothing more than a very treatable -- and temporary -- nuisance.

MemberMember
(@sum1killme)

Posted : 12/19/2013 10:06 pm

fuck people, they are the fucking joke.

MemberMember
(@maria199)

Posted : 12/20/2013 3:37 pm

I watched once an american tv series that obviously aimed to young people.. at that particular episode, one of the teenagers had a pimple. One pimple. And he used a white cream for acne - most likely b.p.- and his "friends" laughed at him. My opinion of humanity remains the same and it's not a good one.

MemberMember
(@interested19)

Posted : 12/20/2013 11:44 pm

I watched once an american tv series that obviously aimed to young people.. at that particular episode, one of the teenagers had a pimple. One pimple. And he used a white cream for acne - most likely b.p.- and his "friends" laughed at him. My opinion of humanity remains the same and it's not a good one.

lolll don't even get me started on people who are like that over one pimple.. or those stupid articles on the internet talking about acne and then showing a picture of a person with no acne examining their face

MemberMember
(@akatom)

Posted : 12/21/2013 1:32 pm

Ignorance, and misunderstanding of what it is seem to be big factors for me.

Before I used to suffer, I never even used to bat an eye about what it was, why it existed etc. I didn't have a care in the world for my skin. That was 5 years ago, and ever since, I just can't help but look at every single person's skin and compare it with mine, be it better or worse.

Also I think the people who don't suffer and see people with problems on their face just don't understand why they have them. I assume they just instantly think 'eww look at how bad his skin is, he must be really unhygienic bla bla bla'. And this is the reason it gets me down so much. The amount of times i've been asked what have i done to my face, or what's wrong with it. I just sort of ignore the comment, or mumble something. But every time I just want to shout' I have no fucking idea!! I didn't do anything, it's just my fucking shit skin, now fuck off!!'..or words to that effect,

MemberMember
(@user174136)

Posted : 12/23/2013 4:41 am

My first real experience of acne was of someone who didn't wash their face or hands - maybe once a week, if they remembered to even do that, and he did a lot of sports and training outside. When I first started to get acne myself I assumed that I mustn't have been washing properly either, and promptly over washed and made everything quite a bit worse. Our personal experiences of something do shape our views of it significantly.

MemberMember
(@idk111)

Posted : 12/23/2013 10:32 am

Agree.

I don't get why.

I do the same thing with Youtube videos and other people who make fun of acne.

I think it is the same with weight though... Those commercials of diet pills and making fun of people who are fat.

Same thing with people who are losing their hair.

It is not just acne. Trust me.