Notifications
Clear all

Accutane Log, Male & 17

MemberMember
(@clearsummer)

Posted : 12/16/2013 2:58 pm

Hi,

I'm a 17 year old male from the UK.

I've been a frequent visitor to this site and its forum for the last year and a half or so, when my acne started.

I've moderate to severe acne (only on my face) since the summer of 2012, where it came out of nowhere at the age of 16.

I visited my GP who through Sept. 2012 to Sept. 2013 gave me a couple of courses of antibiotics and a few topical creams, all which seemed to have a small effect - the acne came back after short times of having what I would call mild acne.

Anyway, I had enough recently and visited my GP (again!), who after not a lot of deliberation, gave me a referral to a dermatologist.

After a couple of appointments, she prescribed me accutane - 20MG per day, (I weigh 68kg) which at first my parents were against me taking due to my large interest in intense sport, however I managed to convince them that it was the right option for me.

So I started on the 12th December and just took my fifth pill.

I will try to update this log every day, if possible, as I'm very busy at the moment with school work and sporting arrangements.

Day 1-4

I didn't see much change in my face, perhaps the spots got a little less red and a few new small spots became active. Didn't feel any real side effects kick in at this point.

Day 5

During the day I have seen a lot of new active spots come to the surface in the form of whiteheads or reddish spots. Still feeling no side effects but feeling bad as my face had been okay for the first few days. Perhaps this is the IB? (which I hoped would not come in full force as I've started on such a low dose!

MemberMember
(@clearsummer)

Posted : 12/17/2013 1:31 pm

Day 6

A few more quite painful raised spots coming through today, my jawline is quite sore due to a possible cyst appearing on my chin. Trying to stay positive.

Did the Aztec clay mask yesterday as I had quite a few whiteheads, not sure if this is okay whilst on accutane?

MemberMember
(@clearsummer)

Posted : 12/18/2013 5:19 pm

Day 7

Few more painful spots, face still very oily by the afternoon. No new side effects to report, maybe noticed a big of flakiness when out of the shower but that went away soon enough due to oiliness

MemberMember
(@clearsummer)

Posted : 12/19/2013 3:47 pm

Day 8

Not necessarily noticed any new spots, however have seen a few formerly-red ones come to a head (whitehead). While my face is still extremely oily, today is the first day that I've noticed my lips getting dry and being a bit painful - haven't needed lip balm until now and don't plan on using moisturizer until my face actually has no oil.

Anyway 1 week done, 23 to go!

MemberMember
(@clearsummer)

Posted : 12/20/2013 1:47 pm

Day 9

Still very oily, lips a bit chapped today. Few more whiteheads came up today in a cluster, otherwise not too many new things to report. Finished school for Christmas now, can relax and chill at home with family.

MemberMember
(@vojta3476)

Posted : 12/20/2013 5:50 pm

It's pretty cool we're on the the exact same schedule. I started dec. 11th, also 17. Live in the US. Taking 40 per day. Most of my severe acne is on my back, fortunately only moderate on my face. I expect once I'm done with accutane I'll still have pretty bad scarring on my back, but my face should have minimal scarring if any.

I started noticing dry lips as early as day 3, maybe that's due to my higher dose. Face is also very dry when I get out of the shower, but gets oily and greasy throughout the day. I've been using Cetaphil daily facial moisturizer on my face, if you're looking for one to use I'd really recommend it. Doesn't leave my face looking too shiny but definitely soothes irritated skin and reduces the noticeability of the dry flakes I'm getting around my jawline/cheeks.

MemberMember
(@clearsummer)

Posted : 12/21/2013 1:09 pm

vojta3476 - Yeah I find that pretty cool! Yeah I'd imagine that your extra dryness is due to your higher dose. I'm using the Cetaphil gentle face wash at the moment, but haven't started using the moisturiser yet as my face isn't too dry yet! I literally have no acne anywhere else on my body, just my face, which is moderate to severe I would say.

Day 10

Today throughout the day (although I just sat at home all day) I noticed that my face took a longer time to get greasy overall, which made me happy as I know the medication is making a slight difference. Lips less dry today, possibly due to me not going outside at all. Few more painful spots appeared which is becoming quite normal at this stage.

Looking forward to upping my dosage to 40mg/day which should happen on the 6th Jan - completely drying up my face which will (surprisingly for some) come as a relief to me!

MemberMember
(@clearsummer)

Posted : 12/23/2013 1:43 pm

Day 11-12

My skin has been so much less oily these last two days, as in I haven't had to wipe it clean at all during the day!

However, I have been seeing a lot of small whiteheads popping up in places that I hadn't previously been prone to them, i.e. lower cheek. I've also been seeing spots in the usual places though, like my chin and general jawline area. The IB continues...

MemberMember
(@clearsummer)

Posted : 12/26/2013 2:17 pm

Day 13-15

Had a few more whiteheads pop up around the jawline area, however they're small and (although they often leave a red mark) clear up pretty quickly. Again, less oiliness, which is awesome! Otherwise not a lot to report, lips aren't too dry and skin isn't either - definitely ready to move up a dosage ASAP!

MemberMember
(@clearsummer)

Posted : 12/28/2013 3:00 pm

Day 16-17

Still nothing new to report, few more painful spots popping up that will dry up quite quickly before crusting or going red. Lips getting drier and skin staying same re oiliness. Perhaps a little oily in the last few hours before going to bed.

Does anyone have any idea whether shaving helps with regards to spots popping up, or does shaving just cause irritation (using electric shaver as razor would definitely be too harsh)?

MemberMember
(@clearsummer)

Posted : 12/30/2013 6:48 am

Day 18-19

Recently I've been noticing that my previously good side (left side) has been getting many more breakouts, at the moment it's quite red and inflamed. Although my other side is also getting a few new reddish spots, it's not as bad as the other side. Also looking back at pictures from the start of my course, it's easy to see that my face has got a lot worse, presumably from the IB stage. Here's me hoping that the end is near and that I can start seeing improvements soon!

MemberMember
(@dogmaster234)

Posted : 12/30/2013 10:53 am

Same here, used to have a clear left side before, now it's worse than my right side. Have you tried out aquaphor yet? That's the only lip balm that doesn't break me out, and it can be used for any other area with intense dryness as well.

MemberMember
(@clearsummer)

Posted : 12/30/2013 1:54 pm

I haven't used aquaphor no, I use cetaphil for a cleanser and occasionally use cetaphil moisturiser for dry skin. Just any sort of lip balm at the moment as my lips aren't that bad yet.

DogMaster234 - how far in through your course are you now?

MemberMember
(@clearsummer)

Posted : 01/02/2014 7:56 am

Day 20-22

These last 3 days have been up-and-down days, maybe seen a few less breakouts, maybe due to the fact that my skin is now getting quite dry (surprised as only on 20mg/day) - which believe it or not has come as a relief to me, as my skin was beyond ridiculous in terms of oiliness before taking accutane. Anyway, I've noticed that although breakouts are still popping up, they're drying out within a day and scabbing over, which although annoying and hard, they are preferable to painful whiteheads. Lots of red marks at the moment from past breakouts, which throughout my acne struggle have always taken a long time to heal.

I think that I'm supposed to be starting 40mg/day tomorrow, and will be away till Sunday night where I'll update again.

MemberMember
(@clearsummer)

Posted : 01/05/2014 4:14 pm

Day 23-25

Started 40mg/day on my 23rd day and since then I've been breaking out a bit, as was expected with the rise in dosage. At 20mg/day I think the breakout period had come an end and this passage that's just started will be hard but I'll get through it. Skin is much drier, but nothing that moisturiser can't handle, meanwhile although there are more spots, they seem to be drying up (sometimes scabbing) much quicker.

We move on, appointment tomorrow as I had a blood test last week and all was fine.

MemberMember
(@clearsummer)

Posted : 01/06/2014 3:28 pm

Day 26

Not much to report i.e. progress, however my derm told me today that as I've had a flare up on 20mg, I should stay on that dosage for another month and move up next month. Next derm appointment 3rd Feb...

MemberMember
(@vojta3476)

Posted : 01/07/2014 12:59 am

Are you getting any dry patches of skin? Granted, I started on 40 mg/day right away. But I'm about 17 days in, and I'm getting these small patches of sort of dry/scaly skin on the back on my hands and wrists area. I'm sure it's nothing to be concerned about as dry skin like this is a normal side effect but I just wanted to mention it and see if you had anything similar. I'll probably start putting lotion on my hands every time after I wash them or shower I guess. cry.gif

MemberMember
(@clearsummer)

Posted : 01/07/2014 3:27 pm

I definitely have been experiencing drier patches of skin, usually in places where spots are healing (that's at only 20mg/day!). I don't normally use moisturiser as my derm told me not to, but if it gets any worse I will definitely look into it. However I haven't been getting dry skin anywhere else on my body, just the face. I've also heard that that's a common side effect so wouldn't be too worried, but you could bring it up at your next appointment.

MemberMember
(@vojta3476)

Posted : 01/10/2014 3:18 am

Derm seemed completely unconcerned with dry skin so I guess I'm good. Finished day 30 yesterday and I'm on 60 mg a day now for the next month.

MemberMember
(@jdog31)

Posted : 01/10/2014 3:32 am

Sorry to jump into your log but I am about to pick up my first pack of accutane tomorrow and I needed to get some input: I am going on to New York on the 17th-21st and didn't know if I should risk getting a (initial) break out or extremely dry skin/lips during my trip. Based on everyone's experience would you guys recommend starting my doses tomorrow when I pick it up (10th) or possibly compromise and start my doses on the 14th, or completely wait till after my trip to begin? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

* I have moderate persistent acne, prescribed 40mg.... Thanks

MemberMember
(@clearsummer)

Posted : 01/10/2014 4:32 pm

vojta3476 - that sounds good, lucky that you've moved up for your next month, I'm still only on 20mg!

Jdog31- that's alright mate, personally my IB wasn't terrible, but for me I wanted to start the treatment as soon as I got my hands on the pills, as it was denting my confidence severely, but that's just me.

Day 27-30

Spots from the IB are healing much quicker, and overall maybe less spots have been surfacing. Dry skin a bit of a bother now, however a bit of moisturiser in the morning and at night seems to do the trick. Been happier these last few days, as I think for the first time during this treatment, I've seen improvement from last week.

Otherwise, no other side effects, although my back may be in a bit more pain than usual, but nothing too severe.

MemberMember
(@joy4ever)

Posted : 01/13/2014 3:00 pm

Glad to hear that you're feeling happy, and it's a very good thing that our IB's have stopped and face is healing!

Keep your head up, I imagine myself with a clear skin a lot (even though it's pretty hard with acne), and it makes me feel good! hifive.gif

MemberMember
(@clearsummer)

Posted : 01/14/2014 5:34 pm

Exactly - good luck to both of us!

MemberMember
(@clearsummer)

Posted : 01/15/2014 12:23 pm

Day 31-35

Days flying by now! Had a breakout on my cheek which is dying down now, definitely noticing some scarring going down a bit in terms of redness and spots are drying up very quickly still. Face is often very dry by the evening, especially when I do exercise earlier on and have to shower straight after. Keeping hopes up, only a fifth through the course!

MemberMember
(@clearsummer)

Posted : 01/19/2014 5:57 pm

Day 36-39

Breakout got a bit worse on the 36/37th days and now it's calming down a bit and starting to heal. Noticing dryness a lot now, so moisturise when possible. Keeping hopes up as I go into my 40th day tomorrow.