Notifications
Clear all

Tretinoin (Retin-A) Initial Breakout...should I Wait?

MemberMember
(@cynthiaaaa)

Posted : 12/16/2013 2:26 pm

So today I was prescribed 0.05% Tretionin by my derm, but reading reviews everyone (almost everyone) says they got an initial breakout

I don't want bad skin for new years and i'm going to be at the beach so it will definitely be 100% visible :/

Should I wait to start? How long did your initial breakout last??

MemberMember
(@marie11793)

Posted : 12/16/2013 8:19 pm

Don't do it!!!! I started my tretinoin about 5 weeks ago and my face broke out A LOT. Before I started using it I only had about 2 pimples but now I have about 5 deep ones on my cheek and random whiteheads that are leaving scabs. It sucks. However, everyone is different and it may work quicker for you or you may not even have an initial breakout. Which brand are you using?

MemberMember
(@cynthiaaaa)

Posted : 12/17/2013 4:10 am

Don't do it!!!! I started my tretinoin about 5 weeks ago and my face broke out A LOT. Before I started using it I only had about 2 pimples but now I have about 5 deep ones on my cheek and random whiteheads that are leaving scabs. It sucks. However, everyone is different and it may work quicker for you or you may not even have an initial breakout. Which brand are you using?

The tube my derm gave me doesn't have a brand name on it it just says 0.05% tretionin, alfatecopherol 400 i.u and vanishing cream base...but my skin breaks out from EVERYTHING so i'm almost certain it will break out. Did yours break out from day one or get gradually worse? I think i'll just wait till after new years..

MemberMember
(@marie11793)

Posted : 12/17/2013 11:41 am

The truth is everyones skin is different. My cousin used a tretinoin and had clear skin in a month. Me, on the other hand, broke out more in the first month (in about 6 weeks in now). I hope it works for you like it did for my cousin, but, during the first few weeks of using a tretinoin your skin becomes very dry, red, and flaky, which seems normal for everyone. That being said, I don't recommend you use it a few weeks before nye!

MemberMember
(@cynthiaaaa)

Posted : 12/18/2013 4:36 pm

The truth is everyones skin is different. My cousin used a tretinoin and had clear skin in a month. Me, on the other hand, broke out more in the first month (in about 6 weeks in now). I hope it works for you like it did for my cousin, but, during the first few weeks of using a tretinoin your skin becomes very dry, red, and flaky, which seems normal for everyone. That being said, I don't recommend you use it a few weeks before nye!

That's true! I'll wait till the new year before I start, thanks, I hope it works for me too!

MemberMember
(@jmj1975)

Posted : 12/21/2013 11:12 am

I broke out from weeks 2-10 or so. The worst was the first 4-5 weeks. I am now in week 15 and my skin had been completely breakout free for the last 3-4 weeks or so. This stuff is amazing! It is even fading my old scars little by little.