Notifications
Clear all

Period Acne?

MemberMember
(@elkhoundgold)

Posted : 12/13/2013 7:40 pm

Did anyone have their period acne cured by Accutane? I'll be fairly good for most of that month them BAM like 7 cysts in one day on my period. It's horrible and emotionally wrecking. It also takes MONTHS for the cysts to heal ;( I am thinking about a low dose ??

MemberMember
(@leadingforce)

Posted : 12/13/2013 8:46 pm

accutane is a temporary cure

fix your diets and find the real cause

MemberMember
(@elkhoundgold)

Posted : 12/13/2013 9:50 pm

accutane is a temporary cure

fix your diets and find the real cause

No diet has worked for me or vitamin supplements/natural cures

MemberMember
(@sendmeangels)

Posted : 12/15/2013 1:29 am

Did anyone have their period acne cured by Accutane? I'll be fairly good for most of that month them BAM like 7 cysts in one day on my period. It's horrible and emotionally wrecking. It also takes MONTHS for the cysts to heal ;( I am thinking about a low dose ??

I'm a huge advocate for Accutane because I've done everything else, and I've seen the wonders it can perform. Diet doesn't help everyone (it certainly didn't for me)! But if your acne is exacerbated by your menstrual cycle, you could also consider Spironolactone. It's an anti-androgen and is known to help reduce or eliminate hormonal acne. If that doesn't interest you, asking a dermatologist about Accutane would be worthwhile.

MemberMember
(@elkhoundgold)

Posted : 12/15/2013 9:15 pm

I'm a huge advocate for Accutane because I've done everything else, and I've seen the wonders it can perform. Diet doesn't help everyone (it certainly didn't for me)! But if your acne is exacerbated by your menstrual cycle, you could also consider Spironolactone. It's an anti-androgen and is known to help reduce or eliminate hormonal acne. If that doesn't interest you, asking a dermatologist about Accutane would be worthwhile.

Thanks. How long you been on it? I don't want to waste time with spiro and I don't want to pee a lot ( a side effect from spiro). I'm getting really annoyed at people telling me it's my diet causing my acne when I'm off all food groups which is leaving me extremely fatigued in an attempt to keep acne at bay...which it doesn't really do all that well

MemberMember
(@sendmeangels)

Posted : 12/16/2013 12:44 am

Thanks. How long you been on it? I don't want to waste time with spiro and I don't want to pee a lot ( a side effect from spiro). I'm getting really annoyed at people telling me it's my diet causing my acne when I'm off all food groups which is leaving me extremely fatigued in an attempt to keep acne at bay...which it doesn't really do all that well

I understand and respect people when they say that diet is related to acne. In SOME cases, I'm sure that may be true. However, I don't think it's true for most. And it isn't realistic for most people to alter their diet to cure acne. Being healthy and eating well is wonderful for many reasons, but when it's taken to an extreme, it's stressful and time consuming. Stop the extreme diets and do everything in moderation. I imagine you could eat junk food, dairy, and carbs and not notice a difference in your acne. Spiro didn't do much for me as far is diuretics go, it just made my menstrual cycle wonky. I've been on Accutane for 10 days, so no improvement yet. BUT my brother has been on it over a month, and his skin looks wonderful. I've never seen him this clear or this confident. I say go for it. What do you have to lose?

MemberMember
(@elkhoundgold)

Posted : 12/16/2013 2:42 pm

I understand and respect people when they say that diet is related to acne. In SOME cases, I'm sure that may be true. However, I don't think it's true for most. And it isn't realistic for most people to alter their diet to cure acne. Being healthy and eating well is wonderful for many reasons, but when it's taken to an extreme, it's stressful and time consuming. Stop the extreme diets and do everything in moderation. I imagine you could eat junk food, dairy, and carbs and not notice a difference in your acne. Spiro didn't do much for me as far is diuretics go, it just made my menstrual cycle wonky. I've been on Accutane for 10 days, so no improvement yet. BUT my brother has been on it over a month, and his skin looks wonderful. I've never seen him this clear or this confident. I say go for it. What do you have to lose?

According to most stories on this forum, I stand to lose my health, sanity, hair, etc. : P But yes diet CAN help but is it related to everyone's acne? No. If it was, then there wouldn't be people who get no acne from eating all the chocolate cake in the world...like..i think children get no acne because their hormones haven't woken up yet but when we get older sadly they do and so some people get the acne and some people don't have an overabundance of them maybe? But honestly i don't want dairy even if Accutane clears me up i know it's full of bad hormones i would probably just have a rare organic dairy product . But I at least want a dairy free chocolate bar now and then. :( Or a candy once in a while. Or a normal more nutritious diet! I'm a very healthy eater so it's pretty unfair that I have acne still and would it really be healthy for me to keep off wheat, eggs, grains, vitamins ( they break me out badly ) and other stuff?? i get calcium from almond milk tho

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 12/16/2013 3:06 pm

Your diet is not the cure for acne, but it helps. I mean No disrespect intended to people who say a certain diet "cured" their acne. I think, just like everything else, it is much better to be healthy and get proper nutrition when dealing with ANY chronic disease , but it doesn't mean that changing your diet alone will solve your problems. Also, not eating anything at all is just as bad as eating crap - so swearing off entire food groups probably isn't a great idea.

Unless you think you have some kind of food allergy (which is unlikely unless you are experiencing other symptoms besides acne), changing your diet if you already eat a healthy diet probably wont make any difference in your acne in the long run. Accutane can help, but you should definitely try a few other things first if you can, since it sounds like your acne is hormonal. Also, have you been checked for PCOS? If you have other "womenly" problems, like irregularity or bad PMS - you might check that first to make sure. Also, Ive been taking Spiro for about 6 months now. It did make me pee alittle more often, but honestly, it wasn't that much of an inconvenience, it wasn't like I was running to the bathroom every 10 minutes. Maybe once an hour or so. After a few weeks that went away though amd now I don't experience any symptoms at all.

MemberMember
(@emma2)

Posted : 12/16/2013 6:10 pm

Hi

I have acne which is period related i have a breakout during ovulation and the week before my period. Im currently on accutane this is my second time around i was on the first course late 2011 it took me 9 mths after coming off it to relapse so im back on accutane im doing the high dose regime. Tbh i have read that accutane doesnt help hormonal acne i have been proactive in trying to get to the root cause PCOS has been ruled out get this checked out first, nothing has been found and tbh the medical profession dont really care less at the end of the day if you are cured first time around then ultimately its less work for them.

You can try accutane give it a go and see what happens its not a miracle though im clear now 3 mths in although did have 3 cysts last week. As far as side effects for me it has been a walk in the park but then second time around i knew to take care of lips alot.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do i havent tried spiro yet the only one i havent does anyone know if you can get this from a general dr or do you have to see a dermatologist ?

MemberMember
(@elkhoundgold)

Posted : 12/16/2013 7:15 pm

Hi

I have acne which is period related i have a breakout during ovulation and the week before my period. Im currently on accutane this is my second time around i was on the first course late 2011 it took me 9 mths after coming off it to relapse so im back on accutane im doing the high dose regime. Tbh i have read that accutane doesnt help hormonal acne i have been proactive in trying to get to the root cause PCOS has been ruled out get this checked out first, nothing has been found and tbh the medical profession dont really care less at the end of the day if you are cured first time around then ultimately its less work for them.

You can try accutane give it a go and see what happens its not a miracle though im clear now 3 mths in although did have 3 cysts last week. As far as side effects for me it has been a walk in the park but then second time around i knew to take care of lips alot.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do i havent tried spiro yet the only one i havent does anyone know if you can get this from a general dr or do you have to see a dermatologist ?

Did it make your acne a little less worse ( aka killed blackheads or cystic acne ) and manageable? I ain't looking for a cure, but topicals clearly don't work on deep, under the skin acne or red papule like flat acne that's inflamed. The medical profession isn't going to do anything for me so I'm just interested in taking care of the skin part i've wasted a lot of money on stuff

MemberMember
(@emma2)

Posted : 12/17/2013 7:30 am

Hi

Did it make your acne a little less worse ( aka killed blackheads or cystic acne ) and manageable? I ain't looking for a cure, but topicals clearly don't work on deep, under the skin acne or red papule like flat acne that's inflamed. The medical profession isn't going to do anything for me so I'm just interested in taking care of the skin part i've wasted a lot of money on stuff

Yes accutane has definetely helped with the cystic acne the spots are not as painful and there arent as many maybe last time i didnt have enough as i have read something about 120mg-150mg per kg of body weight is needed for the least chance of relapse and i didnt have this amount so maybe i need to be on it longer. Topicals dont prevent it they can ease it once you have it , me to wasted so much money over the yrs i know exactly how you feel . Dermatologists i have found tend to view it as a more trivial problem compared to say more serious skin issues you have to be proactive im with you on that one let me know how you go if you go for accutane get the lip balms at the ready x