Notifications
Clear all

Comparing Mineral Makeup: Everyday Minerals Or New Brand?

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 12/12/2013 2:04 pm

I need to order more very soon. Everyone here used to love Everyday minerals, then as the company grew, the love diminished. Some said the formula changed. I know the colors changed complicating it up. But I continued to use it. For one thing, they are fairly local to me being made in Texas. Buy Local & all that.

Anyway, I'd like someone that sells refills. when I first started I used a line that would sell you very large jars and/or refills of powder in baggies really cheap. Now I'm sure I'll make a bit of a mess refilling jars, but I'd save money and reduce packaging waste.

But I don't want to go through the selection process again. Everyday Minerals used to be helpful in selecting colors and knew which of theirs matched other lines. Anyone know of other good brands that could tell me what color to order based on my Everyday Mineral color? I use Light Medium.

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 12/12/2013 3:08 pm

Meow Cosmetics has a chart which compares their shades to EDM shades here: http://www.meowcosmetics.com/Foundation.htm

I'm not sure if they sell refills, but their jars are really big and give you a ton of product.

Some other brands I've heard of that get good reviews are silk naturals, alima, aromaleigh, lucy minerals.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 12/12/2013 5:59 pm

Thanks. But my shade isn't listed there. I use light medium. And now EM has gone & created new formulas so I have to figure that out if I order from them. sometimes that affects the color.

Do you use Meow? Which formula? They cost twice as much. Are the jars twice the size? I'm looking now for the size of EM jars.

I like that Meow has some intense lip & eye colors. I'd like to use some mineral powder to tint lipbalm and I like a berry red. And I use brown shadow for eyeliner and would like it to be as natural as possible. Wish there was something to be done about mascara.

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 12/12/2013 6:37 pm

I do not use Meow atm, but I have ordered samples which should be here any day now. I have heard their customer service is very good, and if you send them a picture they will suggest a shade for you. On their website it says that their jars are 85g and the average mineral jar is 35g so they are more than double the size. Meow gets great reviews on makeupalley (purrrfect for light coverage and pampered for medium coverage) so that's why I decided to try it. I would like to get rid of my liquid foundation that are packed with chemicals.

Here's a list I found on makeupally of mineral makeup companies: http://www.makeupalley.com/m_81016196

The company Alima makes a mascara that they claim is natural. Here are the ingredients: qua, Hydrolyzed Jojoba Esters, Lanolin, Stearic Acid, Cera Alba, Euphorbia Cerifera, Sodium Carboxyethylsilanetriol, Cetyl Alcohol, Propanediol, Sodium Hydroxide, Acrylates/ Octylacrylamide Copolymer, Ozokerite, Glycerin, Panthenol, Biotinoyl Tripeptide-1, Copernicia Cerifera, Glyceryl Caprylate, Glyceryl Undecylenate. [+/-: (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499)].

MemberMember
(@green-gables)
MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 12/15/2013 8:42 am

Thanks,

TKB trading is interesting. They sell things to make your own. If you want some zinc to make a topical, here's your source. I don't think I want to make my foundation right now though.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 12/21/2013 10:32 am

I do not use Meow atm, but I have ordered samples which should be here any day now. I have heard their customer service is very good, and if you send them a picture they will suggest a shade for you. On their website it says that their jars are 85g and the average mineral jar is 35g so they are more than double the size. Meow gets great reviews on makeupalley (purrrfect for light coverage and pampered for medium coverage) so that's why I decided to try it. I would like to get rid of my liquid foundation that are packed with chemicals.

Here's a list I found on makeupally of mineral makeup companies: http://www.makeupalley.com/m_81016196

The company Alima makes a mascara that they claim is natural. Here are the ingredients: qua, Hydrolyzed Jojoba Esters, Lanolin, Stearic Acid, Cera Alba, Euphorbia Cerifera, Sodium Carboxyethylsilanetriol, Cetyl Alcohol, Propanediol, Sodium Hydroxide, Acrylates/ Octylacrylamide Copolymer, Ozokerite, Glycerin, Panthenol, Biotinoyl Tripeptide-1, Copernicia Cerifera, Glyceryl Caprylate, Glyceryl Undecylenate. [+/-: (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499)].

Did you get your samples?

I may try emailing Everyday Minerals & ask about Reilly's to reduce packaging. I mean, they are Austin. They should be doing that anyway.

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 12/21/2013 11:26 am

Did you get your samples?

I may try emailing Everyday Minerals & ask about Reilly's to reduce packaging. I mean, they are Austin. They should be doing that anyway.

Yes I did! I'm really liking the samples, and I have more on the way because I think the color chausie I got might be slightly too pink on me.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 01/06/2014 12:03 pm

Well, I never ordered meow samples and will run out of makeup soon. I did email Everyday Minerals to ask about ordering in bags, and they said they didn't. In exchange you can save up your old containers and when you have 8, return to them for a free blush. But it would take about 4 years to save 8 containers and I don't want a blush.

So, now I'm torn between going to Walgreens & buying Neutrogena which I've read good reviews on. And can return. And you get slightly more product for the same price. Or order from the small local company that never tested on animals, etc. I can't decide.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 02/24/2014 4:02 pm

Meow has a $10 minimum. I have to order $10 worth of $1 samples?

Also, I love cats, but the cat gimmick is just annoying.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/01/2014 9:48 am

Mad Minerals sells in baggies very cheap. And they have large sizes. Also, everything is currently 30% off including samples. And shipping for samples in baggies is $2. See Green Gables list above for a link.

They also have a lot of colors for use as eye liners, shadows, blush, etc. I got some cocoa brown for eyeliner & some hopefully close to the berry red I want to tint lip balm.

They also sell a mascara. Resell it I think. I don't know where to find a review.

I'll let you know how I like them.

Note to self, rejuva & Cory look interesting. Some Rice powder based.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/02/2014 7:24 pm

One note, Everyday Minerals products are rated by the Environmental Working Groups in their Skin Deep database. Most of the other small companies are not.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/05/2014 12:10 pm

My first day trying my MAD minerals samples wasn't good. I really want to like them. I can get 30 grams in a baggy for only $14, 5 grams of Everyday Minerals is $12.99 And they have an SPF powder I can get for the same price for which they sent a sample along with free color sample. And they have $2 shipping for items in baggies.

Maybe it was the color & maybe I didn't apply enough as I'm tapping it out of a little baggy. Trying the second color now and I definitely applied more. And I think the color is better. My face feels a little irritated. I can't remember if it felt irritated yesterday. It looked irritated & a little red or orange, but I spent a lot of time going in & out of the cold & was a little stressed. I don't see why the makeup would irritate me when it's made from the same ingredients I've used for years. Tomorrow I will wear the neutrogena I've been wearing lately all day & compare.

MAD has the most basic mineral makeup ingredients. Mica (CI 77019), Zinc Oxide (CI 77947), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77492, CI 77491), Ultramarine Blue (CI 77007) Our Foundations Do Not contain Bismuth Oxychloride.

So it doesn't contain any of the ingredients that other brands & TBK traders (who sells ingredients) says make the makeups 'creamy' or 'silky'

Everyday Minerals Semi-Matte says: Mica (CI 77019), Lauroyl Lysine. May Contain: Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Zinc Oxide (CI 77947), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Ultramarines (CI 77007).

Mica: Is a naturally occurring mineral noted for its transparent sparkly luster.

Lauroyl Lysine: An all-natural amino acid derived from coconut fatty acid,contributing to the products silk like creamy texture and spreadability qualities.

Titanium Dioxide: An inert white mineral that is used as a color adjuster.

Zinc Oxide: An inorganic white powder that is used as a color adjuster.

Iron Oxides: Cosmetic pigments used to add depths of color.

Ultramarines: An inorganic vibrant pigment used to add color.

And some the other formulas don't even mention having zinc in them, and I want the topical zinc.

But there's some concern about zinc oxide. The zinc is good, the oxide part is not.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 03/07/2014 1:25 pm

I use Meow Cosmetics mineral make up as well, they're very very good. I just knew looking at Bare Minerals shades that the lightest would be too dark for me so I went elsewhere for full coverage and a better range of shades. They also ship internationally. :)

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 03/27/2014 4:29 pm

...There's some concern about zinc oxide. The zinc is god, the oxide part is not.

Is that to say that zinc oxide is bad in some way, but any other form of oxide--e.g., iron oxide--isn't concerning? I'm just curious to know what's reported to be not so hot about zinc oxide.

I want to try mineral makeup but have very sensitive skin and am concerned that such makeup may amplify the appearance of my fine lines. Bah. I also would prefer to go as natural as possible.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/27/2014 8:11 pm

...There's some concern about zinc oxide. The zinc is god, the oxide part is not.

Is that to say that zinc oxide is bad in some way, but any other form of oxide--e.g., iron oxide--isn't concerning? I'm just curious to know what's reported to be not so hot about zinc oxide.

I want to try mineral makeup but have very sensitive skin and am concerned that such makeup may amplify the appearance of my fine lines. Bah. I also would prefer to go as natural as possible.

It's the oxide part. As oxidation is potentially free radical producing & aging. But it's not something you'd notice occurring. Zinc oxide is used in many healing creams & ointments.