Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BitingWit

Persistent Acne

Hello,

I'm a 17 year old male who has been struggling with acne since I was 14. I have never had severe cystic acne, but my acne has always been consistently moderate. Around age 15 I went on Accutane, and I was clear for the duration of the course and a couple months after. Unfortunately, the acne came back only this time never on my forehead but just my cheeks. At 16 I went on it a second time with the same results as before, a clear duration and a couple months after. I went on it again that same year with the same results.. During my months between Accutane, I have been using Duac and Tretinoin. I am currently off Accutane, and my acne is mild/moderate-better than before but I still have 5 or 6 pimples on my face at a time. I wash my face twice a day with Neutrogena's Rapid Clear Foaming Scrub and apply Duac in the morning and Tretinoin at night. Recently, I have started supplementing zinc as well because I read that it can be beneficial. Also, I have cut dairy out of my diet. Yet, I still have acne.

My question is this: Is there any way for me to get rid of this stubborn acne? It has been killing my self esteem lately especially since I went from absolutely clear on Accutane to acne again. I feel like I have literally tried everything. Help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

I would recommend you peruse the posts on hormonal acne.

You have already taken Accutane enough times to warrant a different approach.

I thought hormonal acne developed more so as adult acne rather than in teenagers? I have been researching hormonal acne. If it is hormonal acne, I have looked at spironolactone but as I am male, I am worried about taking it. Will taking it topically still help my acne? Will I see any side effects? What about DIM?

I would recommend you peruse the posts on hormonal acne.

You have already taken Accutane enough times to warrant a different approach.

I thought hormonal acne developed more so as adult acne rather than in teenagers? I have been researching hormonal acne. If it is hormonal acne, I have looked at spironolactone but as I am male, I am worried about taking it. Will taking it topically still help my acne? Will I see any side effects? What about DIM?

You can't take spiro orally, but you can take it topically.

DIM actually raises free testosterone, so I don't recommend it in most cases.