Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tommy

should i go on Accutane

I am 22 and have mild/moderate acne and bacne continualy for the last 8 years.

I dont know wheather it had anything to do with it, but I underwent serious bouts of surgery, was given loads of morphine and other painkillers around when i was 14 and acne free.

Ive tried loads of stuff, antibiotics, changes in diet, I take cold showers, moisterise every day. None of it ever really makes much difference.

I think the main cause is of my acne is my very dry skin.. I have to mositerise everyday especialy after showering else it drys up completely.

And now its winter with the dry air my acne as gotten a lot worse.

Ive seen my GP a couple of times about it, but hes no help just tells me theres nothing he can do, just deal with it (kunt - im going to change him dont worry)

Ive heard Accutane is only for agressive acne, would i still be allowed to go on it?

What are the side effects?

not worried about the depression because ive been depressed forever i see it as normal.

how mild exactly? Are you cystic? There are other drugs that might help you, differin, klaron. Some people even have good results with tea tree oil.

what do you mean by cystic?

I get about 2/3 new spots every day on my face.

and they appear randomly on my back and chest. less often.. but they never seem to heal so it looks even worse.

If i you feel strongly that your skin needs to be clear and you dont want to deal with pimples I reccomend accutane. It is an amazin drug with forewarned seriours sideffects. But from my personal experience I had nosebleeds periodically however quite severe and i had extreme chap lips with cracking at the corners of my mouth. But thats not all that bad unless u have a dentist appointment. surprised.gif So for most teenagers I believe the sideffects are minimal. A good plan is to have a sibling or friend just keep an eye on you to make sure nothing serious is happening while your on the drug. (eg; depression)

If you really want to get rid of this acne whether it be severe or not you should go on tane' I mean why waste money and time using other stuff that probably won't work...just go on tane' and if that doesn't work well...then my freind nothing will.

I would be hesitant to use accutance because of your dry skin. Accutane can severly dry your skin, and the dryness can persist after you stop the drug. Consider this in making your decision.

You do not go on accutane for mild/moderate acne. Im sure if you keep researching you will find something which is effective. Accutane will potentially break u out 10 times worse than u do already and u don`t want that do you? Im not sure what these people are thinking advising u to take a final resort in what seems like a moderate case. I would seriously look for other options!

Make sure you really do your research and weigh up all of your options, but in the end the final decision is yours.

I've spent the past 14 years trying out different over the counter products, perscription creams/lotions, antibiotics, contraception pills, the works. My dermatologist finally gave me the option of Roaccutane and even only after 2 weeks of treatment I am seeing positive results. I am now wishing I'd started treatment earlier, but I think you have to be ready mentally to go on Roaccutane.

Ive heard Accutane is only for agressive acne, would i still be allowed to go on it?

My doc is prescribing me Accutane. My acne isn't even agressive either, its just persistant. And in fact this is the first time i've ever seen this particular doctor, I haven't been to a derm in a few years. I've been trying everything I could get a hold of - professional products, proactiv - everything - nothin worked. He didn't even question it, he gave me the option of antibiotics and creams and said they might help but that if I wanted real solid results and a possible cure I should for for the accutane. Personally, I don't want to mess around - i'll take 5 months of what accutane plans to put me through to avoid all the wasted time on the other stuff and end up with close to flawless skin. smile.gif As far as depression - having ACNE gets me down as it is, knowing that in 5 months it could be gone - gets me excited, so im not worried about the accutane bringing me down too much.