Notifications
Clear all

Benxoyl peroxide banned in Japan

MemberMember
(@green_vegetable_man)

Posted : 10/21/2004 4:25 pm

Must be a good reason benzoyl peroxide is banned in Japan.

MemberMember
(@duluxdog)

Posted : 10/21/2004 4:54 pm

Where did you find this out?

I googled some info and all I can find is a page on pesticides stating that 'Benzoyl Peroxide is banned in 0 countries around the world'.

Summary of Regulatory Status This Chemical Parent Chemical

The chemical is: Benzoyl peroxide Benzoyl peroxide

Banned or Restricted in:

Illegal to Import into:

0 Countries

0 Countries Countries

0 Countries

0 Countries

0 Countries

MemberMember
(@green_vegetable_man)

Posted : 10/21/2004 5:34 pm

Where did you find this out?

I googled some info and all I can find is a page on pesticides stating that 'Benzoyl Peroxide is banned in 0 countries around the world'.

From Dan's post in the thread

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...pic=33379&st=40

Thank you for posting the studies. After these studies were made public, the FDA unanimously voted to keep benzoyl peroxide over-the-counter. The following is a quote addressing this issue from "Acne & Rosacea, Third Edition", which is the most complete text on acne at medical libraries:

"There is some worry concerning the extensive, uncontrolled use of this very popular drug. It has been found that benzoyl peroxide is a tumor promoter in the two-stage model of chemical carcinogenesis in hairless mice...There has been much futile discussion among regulators about whether tumor promoton is a possiblity in man. The drug is prohibited in Japan, which is a disservice to acne patients. Extensive use for many decades is strong evidence that this drugs i neither a carinogen nor a co-cargcinogen."

MemberMember
(@duluxdog)

Posted : 10/22/2004 5:32 am

"There is some worry concerning the extensive, uncontrolled use of this very popular drug. It has been found that benzoyl peroxide is a tumor promoter in the two-stage model of chemical carcinogenesis in hairless mice...There has been much futile discussion among regulators about whether tumor promoton is a possiblity in man. The drug is prohibited in Japan, which is a disservice to acne patients. Extensive use for many decades is strong evidence that this drugs i neither a carinogen nor a co-cargcinogen."

But despite all of this information and evidently contadictory claims, if we use common sense, it appears that benzoyl peroxide is safe. It was introduced around 1930 and has been used by millions of people for decades with no problems. I myself am a personal study all my own. I have used lots of benzoyl peroxide for many years, and frankly, the skin where I use the benzoyl peroxide appears younger and healthier than where I don't.

Did I miss something? It's a disservice to acne patients that it is banned in Japan. It is neither a carcinogen or co-carcinogen. Dan goes on to explain how BP is very much a safe substance in that thread.

MemberMember
(@benkweller)

Posted : 10/22/2004 4:06 pm

It may be unhealthy to ingest but it's surely not a cancer causer on the skin level.

MemberMember
(@and1)

Posted : 02/08/2013 6:47 pm

it is actually banned in Japan here comes the prove. accutane is not approved here neither.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 02/12/2013 9:08 pm

Japan takes the better-safe-than-sorry approach to extremes