Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Graciemeow

Milk Thistle

Well, when it was in a whole food multivitamin I was taking, I didn't have issues with it. But when I tried to take a higher dose on its own, it broke me out BIG TIME, plus I got hives. I think either I had an allergic reaction or the recommended dose was too much for me. Anything that detoxes should be taken at a very low dose first because if your liver can't process those toxins, they will come out through your skin.

has anyone ever used it? I started ...but I think it make my stomach upset :/

Well, when it was in a whole food multivitamin I was taking, I didn't have issues with it. But when I tried to take a higher dose on its own, it broke me out BIG TIME, plus I got hives. I think either I had an allergic reaction or the recommended dose was too much for me. Anything that detoxes should be taken at a very low dose first because if your liver can't process those toxins, they will come out through your skin.

has anyone ever used it? I started ...but I think it make my stomach upset :/

LeadingForce, did you have an IB with DIM?

>

i use it but it isnt very effective on hormonal acne as for DIM or i3c supplement for me

An IB ?

Not sure it was an IB or just a B, and I didn't want to wait to find out because my face was a mess. It was either an allergic reaction or a detox reaction because I also had fever, was shaky, got some hives etc. I just felt really bad so I stopped and the symptoms went away. I must say, though, that the day after stopping the milk thistle my skin looked more radiant. But I wasn't willing to put up with such an intense breakout to find out if I would get clear afterwards. I took 1/2 the recommended dose for 2 days and was fine, but when I upped to the normal dose I had the reaction.

Your liver is involved in how your body processes hormones. Something that increases your liver's effectiveness, like milk thistle, can be a good thing in the long run, but can cause a temporary upset in your hormonal levels, which may make you break out.

Unless you are a binge drinker or have some sort of documented liver problem, there is no need for high doses of milk thistle. Take the minimum amount.

Did you take milk thistle with a FULL meal? Typically stomach upset of any supplement can be avoided by only taking it with a full-sized meal that includes a mix of carbs, protein, and fats. If you're taking it on an empty stomach, or just with a granola bar or bowl of cereal, it's not enough. You also need to take the pill after you've already started eating.

Edited by Green Gables

yeah i may definatly try this again after a break. maybe taking it after a full meal is a better idea since i was originally taking it first thing in the morning along with my vitex and evening primrose oil but i guess it's better to take it at the end of the day after eating. i just remember my stomach being really iffy on it at the start! do you think a liver supplement is necessary to help with hormonal issues/hormonal acne...or just reccomended? xx

It depends on who you ask. The love vitamin says on her website that she uses liv-tox. Personally, I think liver detoxifiers are too strong sometimes. Milder ones like l-glutathione work for me gradually, and I also like the liver toning herbs in herpanacine. But I don't think I would ever take milk thistle on its own again, although the naturopath who recommended it to me swears by it. A good multivitamin I used to take had a low dose of milk thistle and that was ok for me, but on its own it just didn't sit well with me at all.