Notifications
Clear all

Concealing Scarring As A Male Student

MemberMember
(@danjam)

Posted : 12/03/2013 1:49 pm

Hey! , I'm a 23 year old student in England who for a number of years suffered acne , and all it's depressing effects. Earlier this year I was prescribed Lymacycline antibiotics and for the most part , the acne itself in terms of Blemishes has cleared up. The redness and the abundance of scarring however remains. The redness I can get under control with an anti redness cream from Dermalogica.It's pretty effective if you blend it well and make sure you have no green on your face haha :P.

The scarring on the other hand I've had major problems concealing . I understand now that using a technique where one breaks a makeup wedge/sponge in half and gently stiplle the indented skin is effective but it doesn't seem to do the trick completely. I don't want full coverage as I want to just look pretty natural , I study law and mooting is pretty prevalent in my life right now , so I'm constantly in the public eye and it gets me down to think people are noticing these scars on my skin.

I was considering buying a decent primer like one of the Smashbox brand to help conceal the scarring as the silicone may provide a better base for a light foundation like a BB cream. I usually just use a light foundation (MMUk Man) over regular moisturized skin so that may be the reason why it looks ... well not so great.

I was also considering investing in a stippling brush to cover larger areas , would this be wise?.

I would describe my scarring as rolling scars. The main issue on my skin would be scarring and not acne itself. It just doesn't look very great in natural lighting. A real confidence shutter. Any help would be much appreciated.

Kind Regards

Danny

MemberMember
(@chrissyc)

Posted : 12/09/2013 7:57 am

Hey Danny -

I hate the look of cakey makeup on skin, so I try to find things that will look like I'm not wearing anything. So, haha, I'm not a guy, but as far as makeup goes, I get wanting to look as natural as possible!

The things that I am playing with (I have several different textural issues, though, not just rolling scars):

Clinique Pore Minimizer

Perfectapore

Dermaflage

THe clinique stuff is like a primer but looks pretty natural. I read somewhere that when the analyzed someone's skin using one of those computers, that it actually made a difference in the way the skin was graded.

Perfectapore is like a spackle. Having a hard time working with it. More for spot filling, and sounded promising, but not sure I have the patience for it

Dermaflage also has a huge learning curve, but seems very promising for larger scars. It is a silicone filler that dries and will stay on your skin for a couple of days. Still trying to perfect the technique, but this def. makes the most dramatic difference and people have had success with it. I'm just technically challenged with things that require specific application!

Anyway. Hope that helps a little. I find that even tinted moisturizers and BB creams can look a little too "made up" for my taste, and sometimes highlights what i'm trying to hide.

Oh, also (this may be a no brainer for you but was an aha! for me) - stay away from anything that isn't a matte finish!

MemberMember
(@xxyy)

Posted : 12/09/2013 5:35 pm

use a really full coverage product like la roche toleraine teint or vichy dermablend and dab it on kind of heavily over the problem areas (so you cant see through the makeup when you dab it on) and then take a fluffy brush with really fine bristles and blend out from the centre of the problem area. This helps to really fade out the edges of the higher coverage area so it blends in seamlessly. Can look strange if you dont have at least a tinted moisturizer on all over first, but it gives the illusion that you only have a light coverage all over. I'm not a fan of sponges. If you have something with fine bristles you can buff it in circular motions and get right into the pores/scars as opposed to glazing over them and having tiny holes with no makeup in them (which actually highlights them).

MemberMember
(@olly-c)

Posted : 01/14/2014 3:16 pm

w7 primer, rimmel match perfection foundation (completely invisible in any lighting) + real techniques buffing brush, ELF HD powder. (maybelline 24 superstay concealer if scars are dark)

MemberMember
(@sunnysarah)

Posted : 01/14/2014 3:41 pm

Hey! , I'm a 23 year old student in England who for a number of years suffered acne , and all it's depressing effects. Earlier this year I was prescribed Lymacycline antibiotics and for the most part , the acne itself in terms of Blemishes has cleared up. The redness and the abundance of scarring however remains. The redness I can get under control with an anti redness cream from Dermalogica.It's pretty effective if you blend it well and make sure you have no green on your face haha tongue.png.

The scarring on the other hand I've had major problems concealing . I understand now that using a technique where one breaks a makeup wedge/sponge in half and gently stiplle the indented skin is effective but it doesn't seem to do the trick completely. I don't want full coverage as I want to just look pretty natural , I study law and mooting is pretty prevalent in my life right now , so I'm constantly in the public eye and it gets me down to think people are noticing these scars on my skin.

I was considering buying a decent primer like one of the Smashbox brand to help conceal the scarring as the silicone may provide a better base for a light foundation like a BB cream. I usually just use a light foundation (MMUk Man) over regular moisturized skin so that may be the reason why it looks ... well not so great.

I was also considering investing in a stippling brush to cover larger areas , would this be wise?.

I would describe my scarring as rolling scars. The main issue on my skin would be scarring and not acne itself. It just doesn't look very great in natural lighting. A real confidence shutter. Any help would be much appreciated.

Kind Regards

Danny

Hello Danny!

Primers can greatly even out the texture of skin, so your makeup will look smoother over it. A primer I've tried is the Porefessional primer by Benefit. I don't have any scarring, but it perfects my skin texture and it feels weightless.