Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
**Princess**

someone killed themselves coz of roccutane(spellin

I'm all for empowerment and information but I am not fond of alarmism.

Personally I have taken accutane...dried the crap out of my skin, cleared my skin temporarily and gave me a nasty case of thrush mad.gif . It didn't have any lasting effect on my skin and the acne returned. However I think it is a hugely valuable drug to acne sufferers because it is really the only medication that offers reasonable chances of semi permanent remission of acne.

Anyone who takes accutane should be completely aware of the side effects of this drug...and there are many, but they have been exhastively documented. In my honest opinion I do not believe that accutane directly causes depression - I have heard no convincing chemical explanation. I think depression is a typical bi product, of any illness, when there is a massive reduction in self esteem. Does accutane cause people to become depressed?... or is it the acne? or the fact that most people taking accutane have the most severe acne?...and presumably are the most vulnerable to depression in the first place? and is the depression potential amphilfied further if the person taking accutane finds that their acne is non responsive?

Is a accutane a teratogen - yes, can it make you hair fall out - yes, can it cause damage to your eyesight - yes, can it cause liver damage - yes and on it goes....

But I would say the contraceptives that millions of women take on a daily basis have a greater chance of being lethal than accutane.

I apologise I am on a bit of a roll here.

Also, I think the interesting thing about the depression/accutane argument. Is it inadvertently highlights how inadequite the general knowledge/research/social acceptance of the connection between acne and depression is. Which imo is the real tragedy.

Guest agentx

good, so ure 6 ft 3 ... u can kick my ass around pretty much. im 5,11 .. but yea ...

bak to tha point, accutane does not make u go psycho.

Agent ] x [

p.s u look afghani, not that nethings wrong with that.

Good job guys. Almost all of you successfuly proven that you cannot read. Go pick up your accutane packages and read the little book that it comes with. It clearly states DEPRESSION.

As to the bi-polar comment. I don't know where you got that from.

First comment = accutane is lethal because it can cause depression, but it does fix acne

Second comment = describing that people need to know what this drug is about before they go on it. Too many people go on it without testing the waters first.

Third comment = accutane can cause depression...be careful

I don't regeret going on accutane. It was a miracle drug for me. However, it isn't for everyone and it can do more harm than good.

iiiiinnnnndeeeeed...

Me and my roomate are watchin Shauwn of the dead...we downloaded it..kinda funny??

what time is it where you are??

It is hard to debate this issue because no one here has done their own study. I would like to know what the people who commited suicide looked like before they started 'tane' and when they stopped.

If they looked horribly disfigured before and when they commited suicide, had a clear face then it is safe to say it was the tane messing up their head. It they were disfigured prior to tane and looked disfigured post-tane, then it isn't so much 'tane.' That is my opinion.

On another note, Elsa you need a picture where you have a hat on backwards with a small NBA jersey on. The semi-ghetto look on girls who aren't ghetto = hot.

Elsa...you look fine, i dont think the semi-ghetto look would suit you..

and Only i Know..this is actually the first i've ever heard of someone killing themeselves because of accutane..

Have you noticed what board we are on?? its the emo board...have you noticed the large amount of people here who talk about suicide all the time??? ELSA is on accutane dude, and is SHE freakin out?? i didnt think so. We freak out because we don't understand the drug, and when a person kills themselves because of their acne, we immediately think that it was the drugs they were on, when no one stopped and thought to themselves that maybe he was just depressed about his acne...for fucks sake...this is so gay anyway..jeezus..without accutane i'd probly have killed myself cuz it was so shitty. it saved my life..and these tards want to get rid of it??

its a mad world indeed.

indeed E...

it is quite the mad dot org here tonight...

but notice how its only the cool kids on??

yea thats right i said it.

you know what? i've wanted to kill myself several times and i've never once been on accutane. my acne isn't even bad. it's mental has nothing to do with what drugs you are taking, it has to do with the fact that some people have superior coping skills over others. how we deal with what hand were dealt. i can have 4 aces, as some people do and not know what to do with them, piss them away, mental, see. or i can have the shittiest hand in the world and be super successful emotionally because i have better coping skills, perspective, tis a powerful thing. "you are the master of your fate and the captain of your soul". w.e. henley.

had to dig up this thread, interesting debate went on here previously. anyways, im on accutane myself, and i was just over at the RAG forum not long ago. after reading some of that shi--i mean..some of those highly intelligent opinions eusa_sick.gif ..alright alright, i really dont think theyre intelligent opinions. or maybe informed opinions is the better wording. honestly, in terms of the depression issue, there are SO many factors that contribute, its ignorant to just knock it down to one cause. to put this in perspective, consider the fact that MANY people who have absolutely no history with accutane suffer from depression, take antidepressents, and commit suicide. this is just how the world works. also, the point about depression BECAUSE of the actual acne is something else to consider..i know this is true, as i experienced a bout of acute depression (granted, self-diagnosed, however i have NEVER felt that low in my life before) when my acne started flaring really bad this summer. it has a huge effect on one's self esteem, body image, and in turn, happiness. one can become reclusive, shy, embarassed, and ultimately depressed from acne alone. however, these points have been brought up before. what i wanted to add is that the mental..issues..lol..for lack of a better word...that people blame on accutane could possibly be largely self induced. think about it. congressmans son kills himself while on accutane. congressman makes big shit about accutane. widespread negative association about accutane and depression. individual takes accutane. individual is so overly paranoid about accutane that they "imagine" (if you will) that theyre becoming depressed; imagine noticing all these things they had never noticed before, and in fact, soon become depressed. the mind is a powerful thing, and when we're worried about the unknown, we tend to be overly sensitive, and invent things that we eventually believe. anyways, its just something else to think of. this may not be an accurate point at all, but its something that came to me. in any case, i still stand by the fact that depression/other mental issues should not be solely pinned on accutane. sorry for the length of this, lol, CONGRATS U ROCK if you finished it. take care all. - lisa

I have hade this discussion before with my doctor and he was reluntant to prescribe me accutance because of my depression, I finally was able to convince him to give it to me....

I have been on it for a while and I do not feel depressed infact my acne is starting to clear....

There is no concrete evidence to suggest that accutance causes suicidal ideation among people taking the drug, you have to evaluate the whole facts.....

This drug has been around for many years, I feel if this was one of the side effects then there would be more reported suicides and that the drug that has been on the market for so many years would have been recalled., but that hasn't happened.....

I get what you are saying and somewhat agree with you.......

this boy hung himsefl becasue of the depression that roccuntane caused him, now his docters being sued for prescribing him the drug. also they are thinkin of taking all acne products off the market and stop perscribing them especially roccuntane and accutane as these are lethal drugs. i feel so sorry for this boy and hes family and freinds, i also feel sorry for the people out there who rely on pills like these to get rid if their acne as they might be takin off the market and things will get worse. i really hope they understand that drugs help people like us and if they take themm away things will get worse.

im on the regimin now i dont think they will take topicals away will they?????? i will go mad if they do this is my life control!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx good luck and hope u get clear soonxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Anyone ever think maybe he had OTHER things going on in his life that made him kill himself?

People everyday who aren't on accutane kill themselves...

Maybe he had a gf that broke it off with him... maybe his parents sucked... maybe his life just all out sucked...

Or maybe... he was just a weak person... that couldn't handle life's trials and tribulations...

Many different variables in this kid's life could of resulted in his final demise.

One thing is for sure... suicide is selfish. He knew him killing himself would hurt his family and friends... he did it anyways.

Nothing that happens in life is worth killing yourself over... life goes on, whether you're ready for it to, or not.

Anyways, thats my .02

Poetic Fuse I'm so glad you posted that reply ... that's exactly what I thought when I read the story! biggrin.gif

Why do they blame accutane for his death? His parents and friends say he was a happy guy but then became depressed when on the drug. I think it was a coincidence. How many of us put on a happy exterior even when we're not feeling good about ourselves? Probably many of us. eusa_think.gif

The guy who committed suicide was a trainee doctor or something, so maybe there were other factors such as:

- maybe he didn't really want to be a doctor any more and was depressed about the path his life was taking? Perhaps the hours of work were getting to him?

- maybe he felt under pressure from his family to succeed in the medical profession?

Who knows? But, if like me, acne was the cause of his depression, accutane gets rid of it and thus gets rid of the depression. Therefore, someothing else was to blame for his suicide ...

Good job guys. Almost all of you successfuly proven that you cannot read. Go pick up your accutane packages and read the little book that it comes with. It clearly states DEPRESSION.

As to the bi-polar comment. I don't know where you got that from.

First comment = accutane is lethal because it can cause depression, but it does fix acne

Second comment = describing that people need to know what this drug is about before they go on it. Too many people go on it without testing the waters first.

Third comment = accutane can cause depression...be careful

I don't regeret going on accutane. It was a miracle drug for me. However, it isn't for everyone and it can do more harm than good.