Extremely Dehydrate...

Notifications
Clear all

Extremely Dehydrated And Oily Skin

MemberMember
(@matterofwhen325)

Posted : 11/30/2013 12:25 pm

So, I've always had pretty oily skin, but now b/c of coutless face washes, treatments, creams, etc. my skin is now also very dehydrated (I know oily AND dry, just great - __ - ). My acne is fairly mild, but very persisent. I have blackheads on my nose, and blackheads/closed comedones on my forehead and nothing I have tried has been successful in fully eradicating them.

Now, my major problem is b/c my skin has become dehydrated, treatments that used to work as short-term solutions for break-outs just severely dry out my skin.

I've tried just using hyrdating moisturizers and cleansers (CerAve hydrating cleanser, Avene hydrating moisturizer), and while they help with my skin's dryness, they seem to just make the the breakouts worse or give me more clogged pores/closed comedones.

Anyone dealing with similiar issues or any suggestions on how to treat this type of skin? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

(I'm also taking fish-oil supplements and a multi-vitamin speciifcally for someone with gluten intolerance).

CurlyDuck liked
MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 11/30/2013 5:10 pm

Some things that work for me are drinking more water, vaseline, and mineral oil. I just recently started using the mineral oil, but I think I'm fine with it and it makes my skin feel nice and soft. I've also heard hyaluronic acid is good for oily dehydrated skin.

I think I have pretty similar skin to you. Fish oil makes my acne and oily skin worse. Salicylic acid works great for my clogs. I've been using 2% pads and a neutrogena scrub lately and my skin is so much less congested. I've also bougth some BHA peels which I have not got around to trying yet, but that's something you could look into too. What has helped my skin the most is eating a low fat diet and taking vitamin C. My skin used to get oily less than an hour after washing it and now I can go around 8 hours and sometimes more. One time I went 12 hours without washing my makeup off and my skin still looked pretty good.

MemberMember
(@accutastic)

Posted : 12/04/2013 3:52 am

Is your skin dry and irritated/red, or just dry in general? Perhaps spend 2-3 days being extra gentle with your skin - washing only once a day, applying a good sunscreen, and only spot treating the worst stuff. As your skin hopefully starts to become more hydrated, start using your overall treatments again. As said by paigems a bit of vaseline could help. I put a tiny bit on my dry/irritated under eye area and it helps calm things down

MemberMember
(@battle2011)

Posted : 12/05/2013 2:27 am

So, I've always had pretty oily skin, but now b/c of coutless face washes, treatments, creams, etc. my skin is now also very dehydrated (I know oily AND dry, just great - __ - ). My acne is fairly mild, but very persisent. I have blackheads on my nose, and blackheads/closed comedones on my forehead and nothing I have tried has been successful in fully eradicating them.

Now, my major problem is b/c my skin has become dehydrated, treatments that used to work as short-term solutions for break-outs just severely dry out my skin.

I've tried just using hyrdating moisturizers and cleansers (CerAve hydrating cleanser, Avene hydrating moisturizer), and while they help with my skin's dryness, they seem to just make the the breakouts worse or give me more clogged pores/closed comedones.

Anyone dealing with similiar issues or any suggestions on how to treat this type of skin? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

(I'm also taking fish-oil supplements and a multi-vitamin speciifcally for someone with gluten intolerance).

I have the same problem! I thought I was alone! My skin is oily but has been dried out by so many treatments (17 years of them!) It looks dry on the outside, but if I put any cream, it just breaks out. If I put nothing, it breaks out or looks extreme dry. I am trying sauna to restore balance and avoid using face washes or creams. Skin is able to regenerate so I am going to let the sauna bring all the gunk out, and clean pores inside out from all these treatment years........

MemberMember
(@curlyduck)

Posted : 12/09/2013 10:54 pm

Seems like things targeted for oily skin make me extremely oily. I switched to more gentle cleansers and moisturizers but it seems like they have pore clogging ingredients,alcohol or silicone. Still researching for a product the hydrates and controls oil without silicone.

MemberMember
(@xxyy)

Posted : 12/10/2013 11:23 am

two products have recently came onto the market that are PERFECT for this type of skin (i happen to be cursed with it too)

"Eucerin DermoPURIFYER Adjunctive Hydrating Care provides the skin with extra moisture and counteracts the drying out effect often associtaed with medicinal acne therapy.

• Provides intense hydration
  • Protects against UV rays with SPF 30
  • Prevents hyperpigmentation (dark marks) after an inflammed spot
  • Effectively reduces skin blemishes
  • Minimizes oil shine with mattifying particles
  • Provides an ideal base for make-up"

and

"La Roche Posay EFFACLAR H moisturizes oily skin weakened by drying skin care products.
    New ultra-fine texture with a non-greasy, non-sticky finish that compensates for the side effects, either
    visible or experienced, of over-drying treatments.
    MP-LIPIDS INNOVATION: New generation of lipids to reconstruct skins protective barrier in its different dimensions, associated with anti-irritant NIACINAMIDE."

alongside these i'd suggest using a really gentle cleanser too like Cetaphil gentle skin cleanser which is also described as

" Daily skincare routine to relieve the dryness caused by prescription skincare products"

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 12/11/2013 11:41 pm

I think you should solve the oil problem internally.

But for the dehydration issue, it also helps me to use distilled water when I wash my face. Tap water can contain lots of calcium, chlorine, and other chemicals or minerals that further dehydrate your skin. Distilled water, or "dead water", is just water, nothing else.

I take one fish oil capsule a day and don't have any problems with it.