Notifications
Clear all

Accutane, We Meet Again!

MemberMember
(@lynn8808)

Posted : 11/26/2013 3:31 pm

Hey, you guys. I haven't made a post on here in a while, but since I am going on Accutane for a second time, I thought I could ask for advice or tips that anyone has who have been on Accutane twice.

Background:

I went on Accutane (40mg + Vitamin E) for 6 months at 14. Worked amazing, loved it!

I'm 17 now, and over this past summer my acne has returned. Predominately around my chin, and it's inflammatory. When back to dermatologist and she decided to put me back on Accutane (Same dosage, 40mg + Vitamin E).

When I was on it last time, I can't recall having an initial breakout and experienced no side effects except dry skin and lips. However, I am incredibly worried about an initial breakout which some say is inevitable, but I really hope that doesn't happen. I'm not broke out at the moment and have no active bumps at the moment. I start tomorrow.

Do you think I will get an initial breakout?

Did you experience an initial breakout?

Was there anything different in particular the second time?

-Thank yousmile.png

MemberMember
(@ballen)

Posted : 11/26/2013 4:11 pm

Some seems to think starting at a lower dosage (in you case 10-20 mg/ day) dramatically reduces the chance of an IB. I believe this to be true.

If you're gonna meet your derm before starting, you could bring this up if you're worried. Just ask for it, most likely she will say yes.

MemberMember
(@goirish)

Posted : 12/02/2013 10:01 pm

I am on my first course of Accutane and I've been going for almost a month now. My acne was never too severe; I would call it mild. It was unresponsive to treatment and very consistent, but never too severe. It sounds like your acne is not very severe, and the initial breakout usually is more prevalent in those who already have severe acne. I have been on 40 mg per day so far and have only seen improvement in my skin. I know it is still way too soon to count out my initial breakout, as it often happens when dosage is increased (will be taking 80 mg). With your second round, I would think that the likelihood of an initial breakout is lessened. Best of luck to you.