Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Tom

Quitting Differin?

I have been on Differin Gel since late July.

While I've definately noticed some improvement - quicker healing, less major problems - the problem hasn't gone away. In fact, I am starting to think that perhaps Differin has been causing a lot of the spots in the first place.

As a general rule, when I left my skin alone and just used a simple shop-bought SA wash, my skin was OK. It wasn't by any means great, but it wasn't a total disaster area either... now it is.

Given that I've been on Differin for quite a while now, is it time to stop and go for something else, or should I give it another chance?

I'm getting to the point where I am thinking that coming off all medication for it would be a good idea, given that my skin has only got worse since I started.

I'm speaking from personal expirience and I started differin in late july to. Today I am completely free of acne and I haven't had a new zit for about threee weeks now. Although my acne wasn't bad to begin with, my 3-4th week in my face blew up I guess due to the differin. But since I stayed with it I'm not getting any new zits at all and my skin is nice and smooth.

How about adding a topical to reduce bacteria? Have you tried something like Finacea? Maybe try alternating between the Differin and Finacea every p.m(or BP if you are not sensitive to it)?

I would switch to Tazorac if I were you. Talk to your derm and see what he or she thinks. You should have seen some improvement by week 9 if that medication is working.

I love Differin. Love, love, love it. Been using it for years and have never stopped.

The only downsides to using it are the fact that I can't do any waxing for hair removal (my skin is too thin and delicate) and when I get any little sratch on my face (you know, little stuff like scraping your nail across your cheek, etc.) it goes really deep and takes a long time to heal. Guess this is also due to the fact that my skin is very thin and sensitive. But I am 31 and have the skin of someone in their early to mid 20s (or so I am told). I am pretty sure Differin has quite a lot to do with this phenonmenon! So nope, not giving up my Differin any time soon. wink.gif

I am not a big Differin fan.I was on it for a year.I had about the same level of control of my acne as with just BP alone.So, I did stop, and I went to mandelic acid with no BP and no Differin.And, I have the best control I have had of my acne in years.The Nucelle products from Skincarerx.com and Nucelle.com are a good alternative to retinoids. The mandelic acid is a multitasker. It is naturally antibacterial, exfoliates and reduces redness too.You can get travel kits to use as a trial to see if it helps your particular situation.

I used differin as well, it worked ok. But not eveything will work for everyone, so if differin does not work for you move on.

i agree i love, love, love the stuff imo it's important to use the gel not the cream. maybe try twice a day or even less often few times a week. is dryness a prob or just the zits aren't getting any better?