Notifications
Clear all

Hormonal Acne Or Not?

MemberMember
(@opalrose11)

Posted : 11/25/2013 10:55 am

How do you tell if you have hormonal acne or not?

Does the acne appear in a certain region?

Does it happen at a certain time of the month?

These are questions I have been asking myself, and researching yet cant find the answer!!

I have had acne since I was 16 and it became severe, I went on accutane and it work wonders.

I was confident, clear, and so happy. But then my acne relapsed and I went back on accutane, my skin cleared and i was happy

again. Now my skin has replased and Im 18.... see the pattern?

Could this mean i have hormonal acne? It is one the lower half of my face,around my chin on my cheeks, upper lip and nose.

I have no self confidence because of my acne and need to find My cure... help!

MemberMember
(@leadingforce)
MemberMember
(@lallen2222)

Posted : 11/25/2013 12:10 pm

Hi opalrose11

What does your doctor say? I suffer from cystic acne which pretty much lasts all month but gets worse at certian times of the month. SO much so, I can pretty much pinpoint to the day that I will get a horrible cystic spot!

I am almost 30 but first got acne when I was 14, which lasted for about a year, then cleared up but then came back when I was 21 (mainly on my cheeks which left me with scarring). After being put on the pill it cleared up pretty quickly

I then had a good few years with no real problems, just the odd cystic spot around a week before my period, but I was ok with this as the rest of the month my skin was rather nice.

BUT, last year at the age of 28 my spots came back ALL over but mainly on my chin and around my mouth. I read up that this area of the face is related to hormones.

After years and years of antibiotics and strong chemical creams my doctor finally carried out a blood test which reveiled my vitimin D levels were very very low. She then explained to me that there is a common link between acne sufferers and vit d defiencies.

For almost a year now I have been taking 3-4 vitimin D pills a day and my cystic acne has almost gone! I still get the occasional spot but hardly ever get the huge bumps under my skin anymore.

I'll be 30 next month and although i have started to accept that I'll never have the perfect skin I've always dreamed of, I can at least stick to a routine that seems to be helping and is natural!

Hope this helps, but you can always ask your doctor to check for any hormone imbalance x

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 11/25/2013 3:20 pm

How do you tell if you have hormonal acne or not?

Does the acne appear in a certain region?

Does it happen at a certain time of the month?

These are questions I have been asking myself, and researching yet cant find the answer!!

I have had acne since I was 16 and it became severe, I went on accutane and it work wonders.

I was confident, clear, and so happy. But then my acne relapsed and I went back on accutane, my skin cleared and i was happy

again. Now my skin has replased and Im 18.... see the pattern?

Could this mean i have hormonal acne? It is one the lower half of my face,around my chin on my cheeks, upper lip and nose.

I have no self confidence because of my acne and need to find My cure... help!

A relapse after two courses of Accutane is a pretty strong indicator that you have a hormonal component to your acne.