Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Was just reading some threads where a lot of guys talk about get 'hit on' or about 'getting attention' from girls/women. Are women quite open and confident in America then? I mean, here in England women never 'give' attention. They tend to think it's 'not a woman's place' to show interest. It makes it real tough for men with acne because of confidence issues.

Corvidae:

Interesting topic. Well being an American woman I think women here equally give attention to men. I think women realize sometimes they have to go after what they want hence giving attention to men. In reality its tough for both sexes to show interest because it means you put yourself out there, giving possibility to hurt feelings, etc.

Rae

Oh yes, I realise that it's tough for both sexes, but here in the good old UK the burden seems to fall squarely on the men's shoulders. This thread was inspired by me reading the 'do you consider yourself ugly' thread, where a lot of guys said that they get attention from girls, girls ask them out etc... It doesn't happen here. OK, I'm generalising, it does happen here, but it's very unusual. Cultural differences eh! biggrin.gif

Interesting topic...I've never been to Europe but I have a pen pal in England who has noted that she's surprised when I talk about women hitting on men. It could be a cultural difference. She said that things in general are more reserved over there.

I think there used to be a cultural taboo about women making the first move but not so much anymore in America...

See, now I have different information. I've heard tell that English women are quite forward in comparison to American women. This was coming from a friend who was stationed at Lakenheath RAF and based on his experiences w/women in the local area.

As for me, I'm pretty quiet, but every relationship I've ever had started w/me making the first move.

Guest Euler

There are two types of women. Infact, there are really two types of "social class".

The first is a reserved middle class, where what generally happens is the women don't approach the men. The second is kind of working/lower middle class, who, in my experience are quite happy to "pull" guys on their own accord.

It depends what kind of places you hang out, I guess. I'm currently at quite a "posh" uni, and it generally never happens. But I grew up in the north, where such events were frequent in bars.

i usually wait for guys to come up to me, but with a few drinks in me, if i see a cute guy, i'm going to talk to him. i guess that's what they mean when they say alcohol lowers inhabitions... hmmm.

but, i don't have a problem going up to guys when i'm feeling confident. sometimes you just those nights when youre like "damn, i look good" wink.gif and you just do your thang, baby.

Well i kinda feel like a male slut,i get a girl every week over here in the uk.

But it's not my looks as atm i have to use abit of *cough* make-up *cough* to cover up the nasties.

but i get girls every week going clubbing,it's just as soon as my acne is covered up i get this rush of blood where i feel like a king.

As for English girls being more reserved,they are...but that doesn't stop me smile.gif

^...I think there are cultural issues at play as well. Although I don't think you can generalise about "all" americans or "all europeans" ...within both there are heaps of subgroups with their own codes and rules going on.

I definately give attention and I definately feel as if its my place.

I don't see how you could say that for all American women though.

Maybe its more common here...? I really don't know.

Guest brokencocoon

Well, since I'm taking a break from packing (packing to move to the UK, that is), I would say YES. Women are not shy here in the US. I see the ho's workin' it everywhere...and dammit, I'm sick of it!!

WTF?! I've always been the one to do the asking out. So, I'm moving to the U mother f**kin' K, where a man still knows how to ask a woman out! I mean, I'm assuming they can do it over there without being wasted, right?

Please say yes, I'm not up for unpacking.

Thank God for cultural differences.

Haha I thought women were more forward in england cause my bf (whos from england) says girls are always forward, and he's even gotten hit on TONS more times than me!

But then again, I live in a small town in Ohio and he lives in London so that might be part of the difference eusa_dance.gif

I tend to find a lot of girls both back home up north & down here in London are very forward.

Actually, back home, it borders on the ridiculous sometimes...

There are two types of women.  Infact, there are really two types of "social class".

The first is a reserved middle class, where what generally happens is the women don't approach the men.  The second is kind of working/lower middle class, who, in my experience are quite happy to "pull" guys on their own accord.

It depends what kind of places you hang out, I guess.  I'm currently at quite a "posh" uni, and it generally never happens.  But I grew up in the north, where such events were frequent in bars.

I think british girls in general are far more forward than american girls. I live in England, Newcastle to be precise which is in the north east. Newcastle is considered to be a "party city" and round here girls are extremely forward, slutty in some peoples opinions but believe me, thats no bad thing.

small town in ohio, prob the difference. i'm in the l.a. area in southern cali, girls def hit on guys all the time. some are as bad as the girls on that show blind date or elimidate. i am not one of those girls though and there are still plenty of reserved, shy kind of girls like me.

I have friends in England and I've been there a couple of times...

I didn't get the impression that women in england were more forward, BUT they are waaay more sexual, especially young teenage girls. So it may be a more passive aggressive way of hooking guys. eusa_think.gif

I'd have to disagree with you there Corviade. From my experience, **British** women are usually more forward than men. My girlfriend is English, and she was the one who asked me out (kinda lame I suppose) and not me. Traditionally, I suppose it is seen that the men should do the asking out and all that.

What happened to the 21st century??