Notifications
Clear all

Pernox Discontinued! Help!

MemberMember
(@xelizabethwoodsidex)

Posted : 11/22/2013 5:47 pm

Oh my god, I am freaking out. I used to get terrible acne in high school and once I discovered Pernox Facial Scub, it was always my go-to product. It was literally the *only* product that worked for me - even topical prescriptions couldn't touch what I had. Well, I just found out that Pernox had been recently discontinued!!!!! I used to purchase my tubes from Ebay for around $30 each...after it was pulled by the manufacturer, people have been selling a single tube for a buy-it-now price of $500!!! Judging by what I've been reading, I'm not the only person extremely upset by this, but now I am forced to find something comparable to replace my precious Pernox.

Can any help me out? I am looking for a scrub - not an ointment, lotion, or mask. Salicylic acid-dominant products absolutely do not work for me, and benzoyl peroxide only clears up a tiny bit before my skin freaks out again. Please please please, I would be forever grateful! [Edited image out]

MemberMember
(@sneakerpilot)

Posted : 11/23/2013 11:42 pm

I use a waterproof micro-dermabrasion spinner, with a combo of Neutrogena acne scrub (not scrubby enough!) and St Ives Apricot fresh skin scrub. My first shower of the day is really fast and I just use a soft natural bristle brush I picked up at Whole Foods, with just the Neutrogena. After work/ before bed, a thorough scrub with the above described and I'm set to go.

My skin is very oily, and my acne is very diet related. Cola drinks, chocolate, and milk all cause me to break out in huge cystic pimples. Once a month I have mild blemishes on my chin.

Good luck with finding something that works for you!

MemberMember
(@mm910)

Posted : 11/24/2013 4:26 pm

I cannot find Pernox either! And I have been using it since the 70s!! It says discontinued! If you find something, I'd love to know what it is because I can't find anything!

MemberMember
(@gabe29370)

Posted : 12/09/2013 12:50 pm

Yes please help,

I used this product over 25 years ago in high school. It's only thing that helped me as well. Now I HAVE TEENAGERS. They have had several appointments about their acne through the dermatologist and nothing has worked. I couldn't find Pernox on the shelves anywhere, nor did the local pharmacist even ever hear about it. I thought I would check on line today and discovered it was discontinued and no longer available. Found it on Ebay for $300.00 + $$$. NUTS! Why was it discontinued? Was it a pharmaceutical issue? They must of found out some kind of side effect......That it worked to well and was helping people to much. Who the heck knows. I to am looking for another alternative. Please keep me informed. Thanks!

MemberMember
(@bigpotato)

Posted : 12/10/2013 8:28 pm

Try Yu-Be Foaming Skin Polish. It's a exfoliant/cleanser just like Pernox, and seems to work near equally as well. You can find it on Amazon.

I also recommend, after cleansing with Pernox, using Skin Culture's Glycolic Lotion followed by their Sage & Citrus Moisturizer. The moisturizer is hands down the best I've ever used. Very hydrating and amazingly light.

The skin culture products have pretty much have eliminated my oily skin, and, after trying a slew of products when Pernox left the market, YU-BE is the only one that's been able to keep my face clear. Oddly it doesn't contain any Salicylic acid or Sulfur (the active ingredients in pernox). Salicylic acid never worked for me but I do occasionally mix in some sulfur cream (can be found on amazon) because I believe it helps.

Anyways, good luck and spread the word if it works for you. The guys at Ranbaxy really screwed a bunch long time customers over.

jwanabelle and mm910 liked
MemberMember
(@mm910)

Posted : 12/30/2013 5:38 pm

I found a great pernox replacement and I have used pernox since the 70s! It's called Yu-be Foaming Skin Polish - I got it today and love it!!! Same cleansing feeling and no greasy feeling leftover. No saylic acid though. I just ordered 3 more from beauty.com

MemberMember
(@marybeth4213)

Posted : 01/09/2014 7:42 pm

Hi! I too LOVE Pernox...The BEST scrub/cleanser ever! This product is the only product to keep my skin in check. I went to Ranbaxy website based out of India, couldn't call but their email is corporate.communications@ranbaxy.com

Please email asking about Pernox...sooo many of us are freaking out. Maybe we will get some answers or at least let them know we miss Pernox. Maybe someone can make this product again!!! Ranbaxy would be the place to start. Pass the Web address to others. Good luck!

MemberMember
(@dibarc)

Posted : 01/14/2014 5:59 pm

Everyone needing and loving Pernox,

Since Ranbaxy bought Pernox from Proctor and Gamble they would not sell it in the states. I even tried to get distribution so I could have access to it, but they would not allow my husband who is a distributor for produts in Mexico to be a distributor. And now they discontinued it, I don't get it either. I have given the product to my husband to talk to some scientists about reproducing it. I have used Pernox since I was 17 in the the 70's and can't live without it either nor can my sister....so I feel your pain.

So the next best thing is to make it myself if no one is selling it. And lets face it. $30 a tube was ridiculous but I was buying it at that price too.

I will keep you all posted as to creating a new product with the polyacrylic (or something like that) beads, salicylic acid and sulphur. These are the key indgredients that make it perfect.

Oh, there used to be a couple of competitors that had something similar....none of those products exist anymore either. Ionex, remember that?

Pernox Lover,

Diana

MemberMember
(@bobo1234)

Posted : 01/21/2014 1:56 pm

I too called Ranbaxy pharmaceuticals in Florida not India. Told them I wanted to buy out Pernox And requested someone in authority to contact me. No one ever has. I'm going to do it again.

MemberMember
(@cslh)

Posted : 01/22/2014 3:58 pm

I, also, have used Pernox since the 70's. It was recommended by my dermatologist.

I have tried Biore' scrub but it is nothing like Pernox. It may be called a scrub but really

does not seem to be. I have been searching for a Pernox replacement; I even called

a dermatologist who could not recommend anything to replace Pernox. ???? Maybe

if we all keep checking with dermatologists, someone will come up with something.

In the meantime, I have ordered Yu-Be Foaming Skin Polish that someone recommended

and said it was similar to Pernox. I will see; I guess it is my next try after trying Biore' which

did now work that well.

grammy50 liked
MemberMember
(@cslh)

Posted : 01/22/2014 4:09 pm

I, too, have used Pernox since the 70's. It was recommended to me by a dermatologist.

I have recently called a dermatologist to see if he could recommend a replacement but he could not. ???

In the meantime, I used Biore' scrub, which is not at all like the Pernox scrub. I have ordered (but have not

yet received it) Yu-Be which someone said is similar to Pernox. I guess we should all call a dermatologist and

see if anyone can recommend something similar to Pernox.

I used Pernox only on my oily, large pore nose. It worked great. Now I feel lost.

MemberMember
(@vibrantoffer)

Posted : 01/23/2014 9:59 pm

I too have used Pernox for many years. It is the only thing that keeps my skin clear. Thanks for the email to Ranbaxy. Maybe if enough of us Pernox advocates send emails, Ranbaxy will resume production of Pernox?

MemberMember
(@snmatthis)

Posted : 01/24/2014 1:43 pm

I have the solution! I, too, was a lifelong Pernox user. Go to Walgreen's or any drugstore and buy the house brand of liquid skin disinfectant soap. Pour some in your hand and add a little baking soda. The result is nearly identical to Pernox and much better than *that* apricot scrub with the all-over-the-place-sized grains in it.

MemberMember
(@dearie)

Posted : 01/28/2014 7:23 am

I am in the same situation. Have been using Pernox since the 70's. I've spent a fortune on replacement scrubs. I use them once and toss them because they don't compare to Pernox. I will try what was recommended above. It's worth a shot. I have also tried contacting the company with no response. Very frustrating!

MemberMember
(@pink-bird)

Posted : 02/03/2014 11:10 pm

Remember when coke got rid of Tab? The loyal fans went nuts. We pernox advocates need to do something like that. Why take a successful product off the market that has helped and worked for over 40 yrs. I used to buy 6 tubes a year and that lasted for me and my husband. Now I'm down to my last tube so I went online to buy more and I discovered the bad news. Maybe we should call proctor and gamble as they might help us out.

Lisa0928 liked
MemberMember
(@dlite4)

Posted : 02/07/2014 9:58 am

I am in the same sad boat- mourning the loss of Pernox. For those of you who are contacting Ranbaxy and trying to get distribution- i believe Pernox used to be manufactured by WESTWOOD/SQUIBB. Perhaps Westwood Squibb would reintroduce it (if they have the right.) Or perhaps they would have information. I assume it just "fell out of fashion" with dermatologists, etc., but know it would be a big help to the younger generation. I can remember my mother going to the hairdresser in the eighties and having a discussion about facial cleansers. When she said she used Pernox there were gasps and "you shouldnt use something so abrasive! it will age you! and tsk tsk! She said well, how old do you think I am? They said I dont know 32-33? She said, I'm 46 and I will continue to use Pernox!

MemberMember
(@kilogram)

Posted : 02/13/2014 12:48 pm

I have been trying to find something as successful as well to no avail. However, since there are so many wanting customers, is there enough interest to invest in a $4-500 batch that can be split up proportionate to contribution?

MemberMember
(@wendysmom)

Posted : 02/13/2014 10:30 pm

So I went to Wal mart yesterday to order Pernox like I have done for 30 yrs...they cant find it listed..I search the web hoping to buy it online...oh right..$348.00 to $589.00 for a tube of pernox??!! Are you kidding me??? Why are they not making it anymore??? Does anyone know??

MemberMember
(@lorewisp)

Posted : 02/14/2014 9:49 pm

Ranbaxy is in trouble with the FDA. Most of their focus seems to be on things other than products such as Pernox. It is a shame as I have used this product for close to 40 years. My supply is dwindling and I can only hope that the Yu-Be is all it is touted to be. Otherwise I will have to go back to having that oily skin and having teenage breakouts at the age of 58.

wendysmom liked
MemberMember
(@jwanabelle)

Posted : 02/16/2014 12:04 am

I am too freaking out that Pernox is no longer available!!!!!!!! What am I going to do? My Mom used it and I too have used it since I was in high school. Nothing helps my break outs or oily skin. I have tried so many things recently and have wasted soooooo much money. Used to take every prescription medicine available and use every topical medicine. Once I found Pernox I was set until now. Anyone know of any scrub similar? I am now 33 years old and dealing with acne again.

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 02/16/2014 1:24 am

Someone post Pernox's ingredients list so I can find a substitute!

MemberMember
(@markclean)

Posted : 02/20/2014 11:50 am

I called and emailed Ranbaxy about the discontinuation and they replied that there was not a factory to manufacture it anymore. I sent another email about possibly selling the patent and have gotten no response.

Have used product since 60's. My wife's friends love my skin and my kids all use it.

I will try Yu Be but hope someone else picks up Pernox.

MemberMember
(@pjs432)

Posted : 02/20/2014 12:04 pm

i too have used Pernox since the '70s - i emailed Ranbaxy and got a reply that they had lost the plant that manufactured Pernox and they did not have plans to replace it

MemberMember
(@kim28)

Posted : 02/21/2014 11:35 pm

Michelle, Pernox is listed in the reviews on this site, and it gives the following ingredient list: Sodium Octoxynol-2-Ethane Sulfonate; Polyethylene; Water; Sodium Dodecyl Benzene Sulfonate; Poloxamer 184; Docusate Sodium; Sulfur; Salicylic Acid; Methylcellulose; Food Starch; Fragrance; EDTA; D C Yellow #10.

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 02/23/2014 10:29 pm

Michelle, Pernox is listed in the reviews on this site, and it gives the following ingredient list: Sodium Octoxynol-2-Ethane Sulfonate; Polyethylene; Water; Sodium Dodecyl Benzene Sulfonate; Poloxamer 184; Docusate Sodium; Sulfur; Salicylic Acid; Methylcellulose; Food Starch; Fragrance; EDTA; D C Yellow #10.

Okay, I should've looked at the reviews site first. I forgot about the update, actually.