Notifications
Clear all

First Time User, 22 F

MemberMember
(@kelsey)

Posted : 11/22/2013 4:55 pm

Hello everyone! I am starting my first course of Accutane tomorrow, November 23 and I am so excited!

A little background--you all know how it is. I tried a dozen oral antibiotics, ProActiv, Clindamycin, Retin-A, birth control, supplements, diet changes, oil cleansing, BenzaClin, etc, etc. I went to my first dermatologist when I was 17, and they suggested Accutane then but I put it off because of how severe it is. Now, 5 years later, I'm hoping that it was worth the wait. My acne is mostly around my chin and my cheeks, and because of an awful (I know, I know¦) habit I have of picking them I have a fair bit of scarring as well.

The final straw really came when two people came in to work (I work at a homeless day shelter) and told me I needed to try ProActive for my face and that I could look so pretty if I just had clear skin. Well, let's hope that this won't happen again.

Tomorow's the day! I'll post more information tomorrow when I know it wub.png

MemberMember
(@kelsey)

Posted : 11/22/2013 8:10 pm

So I got my prescription, I'm going to start tomorrow! 20 mg of Claravis. Here's my problem, though. This one month supply cost me $432. For a MONTH. With my crappy insurance. Does anyone have any suggestions? I got it from Wal Mart but will definitely be looking elsewhere next month.

MemberMember
(@kelsey)

Posted : 11/26/2013 11:37 am

Day 3

Nothing too bad yet! I take 20 mg in the morning and 20 at night. My hands have gotten SUPER dry, and I have some red patches sprouting up on them, but I think it's just excessively dry skin. It burns awful when I put lotion on it though.

MemberMember
(@anniel11)

Posted : 11/26/2013 6:58 pm

Hey Kelsey! I'm a 24 yo F on my first Accutane course as well-- I'm in month four now (40 mg/day). It hasn't been the most pleasant experience (my poor lips ) but definitely been worth it. A couple thoughts that hopefully will help you out a bit:

Cost: I feel like I've been acting as an unpaid advertisement for Zenatane lately, but you should definitely check outthis service and see if your dermatologist will sign you up. It's just generic isotretinoin, same as all the others, but they deliver it to your door AND they offer payment assistance. I no longer have a co-pay at all, so I get it delivered and its free. I obviously don't know what the cost would be with your insurance, but you might be able to get a discount. It's probably worth at least looking into! The packaging is also way easier to open than the ridiculousness that is every other brand--and I've been on Claravis, Amnesteem, and Myorisan since I started because my local pharmacies never have it in stock.

Hand rash: I just started getting a similar thing recently. I just looked down at my hands one day and there were all these red spots. At least for me, Vaseline helped tremendously.

I really hope your course goes well!

MemberMember
(@kelsey)

Posted : 11/26/2013 7:25 pm

On 11/27/2013 at 5:58 AM, anniel11 said:

Hey Kelsey! I'm a 24 yo F on my first Accutane course as well-- I'm in month four now (40 mg/day). It hasn't been the most pleasant experience (my poor lips sad.png ) but definitely been worth it. A couple thoughts that hopefully will help you out a bit:

Cost: I feel like I've been acting as an unpaid advertisement for Zenatane lately, but you should definitely check out this service and see if your dermatologist will sign you up. It's just generic isotretinoin, same as all the others, but they deliver it to your door AND they offer payment assistance. I no longer have a co-pay at all, so I get it delivered and its free. I obviously don't know what the cost would be with your insurance, but you might be able to get a discount. It's probably worth at least looking into! The packaging is also way easier to open than the ridiculousness that is every other brand--and I've been on Claravis, Amnesteem, and Myorisan since I started because my local pharmacies never have it in stock.

Hand rash: I just started getting a similar thing recently. I just looked down at my hands one day and there were all these red spots. At least for me, Vaseline helped tremendously.

I really hope your course goes well!

Ah, thank you SO MUCH for the Zenatrane suggestion!! I emailed the company tonight and hopefully I get good news. Seriously so helpful!! smile.pngsmile.png

MemberMember
(@anniel11)

Posted : 11/27/2013 1:52 am

No problem! I really hope they get back to you and it's good news--be sure to let me know, I've been telling others about it and it'd be great to know how it works under different insurance plans! $430 a month is just ridiculous.

MemberMember
(@kelsey)

Posted : 11/27/2013 12:35 pm

Day 4

Not too many side effects still, other than dry skin. One thing that has been bothering me though is the lack of support i have from family and friends. So many of my friends have texted me saying they've read the side effects and don't think I should be on a drug that only helps my face, that it's superficial. It's frustrating, especially when these friends have never had acne in their life. I wish that they could just support me. It's already a hard enough decision without their pressure to quit as well!

MemberMember
(@kelsey)

Posted : 11/28/2013 1:47 pm

Day 5

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!! So far, just the usual: dry lips and this weird ache in the bottom back of my head, especially when I turn my head to one side or the other. At first I was freaked out, but it's been there for about three days now so I figure it hasn't hurt me yet I'll be okay! Actually getting kind of antsy that nothing is really happeningI expected to have nosebleeds, painful joints, and my IB by now. Actually hoping that SOMETHING happens soon to prove that I'm not crazy and nothing is happening.

Hope you all have a great holiday!

MemberMember
(@kelsey)

Posted : 11/30/2013 12:30 am

Day 6

Well, ask and ye shall receive! Awful dry/bloody/painful nose today like when you have a cold. I keep putting lotion on it which burns but helps some. I've also got painful red bumps on my elbows like maybe just extreme dry skin? The lips were bad today too. I'm getting dry all over my skin now! Let's hope this means better days are coming.

MemberMember
(@dhin30)

Posted : 12/01/2013 3:25 pm

Hey Kelsey!

I just started on last friday 29th of November :) I feel sorry about your unsupportive friends but just continue what you are doing now and hopefully it is the best!

Have you had any vision problem? because these past 3 days i only have encountered dry lips with dehydration and blurry vision resulting in mild headache. my skin is also dry but its not so bad with the help of moisturizer.

Good luck! :)

MemberMember
(@kelsey)

Posted : 12/01/2013 3:40 pm

Hey Kelsey!

I just started on last friday 29th of November smile.png I feel sorry about your unsupportive friends but just continue what you are doing now and hopefully it is the best!

Have you had any vision problem? because these past 3 days i only have encountered dry lips with dehydration and blurry vision resulting in mild headache. my skin is also dry but its not so bad with the help of moisturizer.

Good luck! smile.png

Hi! Nope, no vision problems yet. I've had some headaches but even driving at night I've been okay. Good luck to you too!!

MemberMember
(@emmygirl)

Posted : 12/01/2013 3:54 pm

Day 4

Not too many side effects still, other than dry skin. One thing that has been bothering me though is the lack of support i have from family and friends. So many of my friends have texted me saying they've read the side effects and don't think I should be on a drug that only helps my face, that it's superficial. It's frustrating, especially when these friends have never had acne in their life. I wish that they could just support me. It's already a hard enough decision without their pressure to quit as well!

That is super frustrating, because it's kind of a big personal decision to go on Accutane and we need all the support we can get :( I'm so sorry to hear that BUT you have endless support here on this site! There is nothing superficial about it, I remember saying to my family, is this silly? It's SO expensive and with the iPledge system kind of a big deal! Should I just deal with the acne? And they all said no, it's serious and it causes serious emotional and physical scars! Don't quit, this medication works and is THE acne medication. I am going to be starting it on December 23rd, exactly one month after you! I can't WAIT! I will use your log to help me when I start, and can just follow you, so this is a really helpful log to me. Thanks so much for posting it!

MemberMember
(@kelsey)

Posted : 12/01/2013 8:10 pm

Day 4

That is super frustrating, because it's kind of a big personal decision to go on Accutane and we need all the support we can get sad.png I'm so sorry to hear that BUT you have endless support here on this site! There is nothing superficial about it, I remember saying to my family, is this silly? It's SO expensive and with the iPledge system kind of a big deal! Should I just deal with the acne? And they all said no, it's serious and it causes serious emotional and physical scars! Don't quit, this medication works and is THE acne medication. I am going to be starting it on December 23rd, exactly one month after you! I can't WAIT! I will use your log to help me when I start, and can just follow you, so this is a really helpful log to me. Thanks so much for posting it!

Thank you so much, this means so much to me! I really appreciate your support and I'm so glad we'll be able to help each other along the way :)

Day 8

I forgot to add some pictures at the beginning! I took these today. I'm an awkward picture taker...

MemberMember
(@kim28)

Posted : 12/01/2013 10:03 pm

Stay strong Kelsey! You will be happy with your choice. I am on accutane for the second time. It's frustrating, but the first course kept me clear for 9 years until I recently decided to stop taking the pill. Doing the accutane was the best choice I ever made - I had my life back for a long time. Even though I am needing a second course now, I still think it is a miracle drug. It just so happens that my acne is very much linked to my hormones, but hormone therapy was never enough to clear me up - I needed the accutane and then BC to stay clear. And I will do it all again because it is SO worth it (IMO).

I have experienced the same reaction from others as you (although I don't tell many people). To be honest, I do have a permanent decrease in night vision from my first course, and I'm sure this one will come with some specialness too. But none of this is as bad as having a painful, itchy, embarrassing face every day. I don't see how others don't get that.

Stay positive! I'm still close to the beginning so it's hard because I am dealing with a nasty IB, but I really believe this is a good choice. Hope you find some help with the cost - I don't know how I would even keep up with what you are paying! Either way, it will be money well spent and you will save a ton from not buying every zit cream fad for the next ten years. Trust me, I did.

MemberMember
(@kelsey)

Posted : 12/02/2013 8:57 pm

Stay strong Kelsey! You will be happy with your choice. I am on accutane for the second time. It's frustrating, but the first course kept me clear for 9 years until I recently decided to stop taking the pill. Doing the accutane was the best choice I ever made - I had my life back for a long time. Even though I am needing a second course now, I still think it is a miracle drug. It just so happens that my acne is very much linked to my hormones, but hormone therapy was never enough to clear me up - I needed the accutane and then BC to stay clear. And I will do it all again because it is SO worth it (IMO).

I have experienced the same reaction from others as you (although I don't tell many people). To be honest, I do have a permanent decrease in night vision from my first course, and I'm sure this one will come with some specialness too. But none of this is as bad as having a painful, itchy, embarrassing face every day. I don't see how others don't get that.

Stay positive! I'm still close to the beginning so it's hard because I am dealing with a nasty IB, but I really believe this is a good choice. Hope you find some help with the cost - I don't know how I would even keep up with what you are paying! Either way, it will be money well spent and you will save a ton from not buying every zit cream fad for the next ten years. Trust me, I did.

Thank you so much for the positivity! Having other people who have experienced it makes it SO much easier, and easier to deal with the judgement. I will be hanging onto these words for a long time!

MemberMember
(@stripes)

Posted : 12/02/2013 9:26 pm

Good luck with your treatment, Kelsey.

I start my treatment soon. The pamphlet I was given recommended a nose oil which is meant to help prevent drying out of nasal passages and hopefully nosebleeds too. The brand I bought is Fess, but that may be an Aussie brand. I have super dry skin, eyes, nasal passages, sense of humour etc already so I'm also getting a humidifier to get me through accutane and the long, hot, dry summer that's coming up.

Sorry to hear about the lack of support from friends. I haven't told my friends yet, but they'll probably say the same thing, so thanks for mentioning your experience. Maybe they are just trying to express their love and care for you in their own way?? Perhaps embarrassingly so, I reckon I would say the same to my friends who I love with all my heart if I'd never experienced acne myself and had only heard the scare campaigns. Anyway, you'll be rolling in support and understanding here!

MemberMember
(@kelsey)

Posted : 12/05/2013 9:35 am

Good luck with your treatment, Kelsey.

I start my treatment soon. The pamphlet I was given recommended a nose oil which is meant to help prevent drying out of nasal passages and hopefully nosebleeds too. The brand I bought is Fess, but that may be an Aussie brand. I have super dry skin, eyes, nasal passages, sense of humour etc already so I'm also getting a humidifier to get me through accutane and the long, hot, dry summer that's coming up.

Sorry to hear about the lack of support from friends. I haven't told my friends yet, but they'll probably say the same thing, so thanks for mentioning your experience. Maybe they are just trying to express their love and care for you in their own way?? Perhaps embarrassingly so, I reckon I would say the same to my friends who I love with all my heart if I'd never experienced acne myself and had only heard the scare campaigns. Anyway, you'll be rolling in support and understanding here!

Thank you!! It's support like this that makes it so much easier, and not relying on my friends and family who don't understand.

Day 12

Side effects keep getting more and more annoying. The constant bloody nose really bugs me, as does the super dry face which I've never experienced before. I'm starting to get some dandruff and I am breaking out like crazy--multiple new zits daily. I know I'm still getting used to it and into the swing of things, but I sure hope it isn't like this the entire six months! I also called every pharmacy in my area yesterday, and the cheapest monthly price I could find was $400. I am struggling and looking for anything to help with cost. Other than that, only 20 days until Christmas so I'm happy!

MemberMember
(@kelsey)

Posted : 12/08/2013 11:44 am

Day 15

Here's the most annoying thing this far: I wear contacts every day, usually for at least 12 hours and I now can't make it three hours without having intense pain and tearing. I try drops and solution, but it's not much help. I know that the eyes are drier, but I thought that it wouldn't be that bad! It's disappointing, but at least I just got some new glasses :)

Other than that, much of the same--dry, dry, dry, and breaking out. So glad I decided to start this right when it was getting cold out rolleyes.gif

MemberMember
(@kim28)

Posted : 12/08/2013 2:34 pm

Kelsey! Sorry about your contacts! That sucks.

I totally relate to the coldness issue! I did my first course (10 yrs ago) in the spring/summer, and I never thought about how it would be different in the winter. I AM SO DRY! It is minus 30 degrees Celsius here up in Canada, and my hands are cracking and bleeding. Lovely.

Better days ahead!

MemberMember
(@kelsey)

Posted : 12/12/2013 4:32 pm

Kelsey! Sorry about your contacts! That sucks.

I totally relate to the coldness issue! I did my first course (10 yrs ago) in the spring/summer, and I never thought about how it would be different in the winter. I AM SO DRY! It is minus 30 degrees Celsius here up in Canada, and my hands are cracking and bleeding. Lovely.

Better days ahead!

UGH! The winter is the worst! Is it worse in the winter for you than it was in your first course??

Day 19

Can't believe I've been on the drug for 19 days now! I don't even think about it anymore or get nervous--it's just routine! The only new development has been how SORE my nose has become and my face is progressively drier. Overall, though, the side effects aren't as bad as I feared, even still.

MemberMember
(@kim28)

Posted : 12/12/2013 11:18 pm

I managed to avoid winter the first time. Started around March, did 6 months, and was done by fall. Too bad my acne didn't wait for nicer weather this time. Just another reason to hate it.

How is your complexion doing? I'm just over a month in and my IB seems a little better, but still sporadically happening enough that I know it isn't over. I know it didn't last this long my first time. I think being old isn't helping - everything takes a little longer to heal.

It's exciting that there are so many ladies on here with logs starting around the same time. I am so looking forward to the day when ALL our logs say "clear skin AGAIN today!".

MemberMember
(@kelsey)

Posted : 12/15/2013 3:53 pm

I managed to avoid winter the first time. Started around March, did 6 months, and was done by fall. Too bad my acne didn't wait for nicer weather this time. Just another reason to hate it.

How is your complexion doing? I'm just over a month in and my IB seems a little better, but still sporadically happening enough that I know it isn't over. I know it didn't last this long my first time. I think being old isn't helping - everything takes a little longer to heal.

It's exciting that there are so many ladies on here with logs starting around the same time. I am so looking forward to the day when ALL our logs say "clear skin AGAIN today!".

Day 22

Still dry, dry, dry! My IB is flaring up again after about a week of being relatively calm, but it's also my first period since starting and I know that isn't helping. I've also been picking a LOT (old habits die hard) and they are SORE and painful. My whole face is just pretty sore right now!

I agree--good luck to all of us ladies on this journey! I can't wait until we are on the other side.

MemberMember
(@kelsey)

Posted : 12/16/2013 12:16 pm

Day 23

So I've never really been someone who's gotten blackheads before, but NOW? I have SO many all over my nose! I don't understand! Has anyone else had this happen?!

MemberMember
(@jamiedxo)

Posted : 12/17/2013 7:46 pm

I seriously can't believe it's at the much money! Roche's Accutane brand up here in Canada is $70 OUTRIGHT with no insurance, nothing for a month. I pay $10.. Try switching brands? See if you can get the cheaper generic one because that's crazy!

Good luck though! It's exciting and nerve wrecking at the same time haha

and for the record, it WILL get a lot worse before it gets better. I was getting types of acne the first month and a half that I never had... I'm on my 4th month now and my acne is 99.5% cleared! Just scarring and hyper pigmentation left now. Keep your head up! It's scary at first but the time goes by fast and before you know it, your skin will be amazing.

MemberMember
(@kim28)

Posted : 12/17/2013 9:32 pm

I don't get blackheads either (rarely, anyway), and I got a little one on my cheek. It took me about ten minutes to realize it wasn't a little piece of dust and stop trying to brush it off. Ha ha. I also rarely get whiteheads and I have been a sea of those lately. I am an all cysts, all the time girl, and this Accutane acne is nice in that it doesn't last as long as my super cysts, but it is making me very confused!