Notifications
Clear all

Accutane 4 Months And 1 Week In

MemberMember
(@cloitus)

Posted : 11/20/2013 12:32 am

I have completed 4 months and 1 week of accutane and I am still breaking out the same as when i started. My doses have been month 1 10mg, month 2-3 20mg, month 4 30 mg and month 5 have started 40 mg.

I was wondering if i still have a chance for accutane working with me. Its already been so long and constant breakouts since the start of the treatment have made the process long and hard.

Has anyone been in the same boat as me where you are still breaking out at this late into treatment but have eventually cleared?

If you have please let me know, some reassurance that it will work eventually will be good.

MemberMember
(@freefood)

Posted : 11/20/2013 7:09 am

I was on the same dosage as you for month 1 and 2.

Currently am on month 3 at 30mg, am still breaking out but much lesser and smaller acne apart from a recurring cysts which i had.

A few whitehead have also started turning into acne.

How heavy are you, if you are heavier a lower dosage might take longer to take effect from what my derm said.

I

MemberMember
(@cw24)

Posted : 11/20/2013 9:45 am

Itll work you are just on a much lower dose that usual for most people on here so its going to take longer. Its all about getting enough in your system to shrink the oil glands. 40 mg is a pretty normal dosage im on it right now so you should start to see good results soon.

MemberMember
(@cloitus)

Posted : 11/20/2013 9:50 am

Itll work you are just on a much lower dose that usual for most people on here so its going to take longer. Its all about getting enough in your system to shrink the oil glands. 40 mg is a pretty normal dosage im on it right now so you should start to see good results soon.

ok thanks for that. Appreciate the response

I was on the same dosage as you for month 1 and 2.

Currently am on month 3 at 30mg, am still breaking out but much lesser and smaller acne apart from a recurring cysts which i had.

How heavy are you, if you are heavier a lower dosage might take longer to take effect from what my derm said.

Hey I am 78 kgs. Yeah i think i am on a normal dose now, so hopefully it starts to kick in soon.Good luck with your journey. Hopefully we are both clear someday soon

MemberMember
(@avada-kedavra-acne)

Posted : 11/20/2013 12:55 pm

I just finished my course. I found though that using nothing except cerave face cleanser and a non-thick hydrated cream like cerave lotion + not wearing makeup + eating fresh food and only water + cutting dairy + not eating anything that i have allergic sensitivities to cleared me up. At like 5 to 6 months i was clear but i was still breaking out and found it was from personal error. I wanted to contribute something to this convo- this is just my personal experience.

MemberMember
(@freefood)

Posted : 11/22/2013 9:01 am

>I was on the same dosage as you for month 1 and 2.

Hey I am 78 kgs. Yeah i think i am on a normal dose now, so hopefully it starts to kick in soon.Good luck with your journey. Hopefully we are both clear someday soon

Thanks , hope the same for you too.

We are the same weight, have you experience peeling of skin on the face yet?

MemberMember
(@jjj333kkk2)

Posted : 11/22/2013 10:36 am

I have completed 4 months and 1 week of accutane and I am still breaking out the same as when i started. My doses have been month 1 10mg, month 2-3 20mg, month 4 30 mg and month 5 have started 40 mg.

It's not working for you because you are on an extremely low dosage for your weight. Did your derm tell you this? At 78 kg you need to take a total dose of 9360 mg in order to get the lowest recommended dose of 120 mg/kg. That's 80 mg/day for slightly less than 4 months. You are taking way, way less than that. And that's just to get a cumulative dosage of 120 mg/kg... most people take a dose way higher than that.

MemberMember
(@cloitus)

Posted : 11/22/2013 9:42 pm

nope no peeling at all. I have experienced drying out of existing pimples though and leaving a bit of flaky skin where the pimple was

It's not working for you because you are on an extremely low dosage for your weight. Did your derm tell you this? At 78 kg you need to take a total dose of 9360 mg in order to get the lowest recommended dose of 120 mg/kg. That's 80 mg/day for slightly less than 4 months. You are taking way, way less than that. And that's just to get a cumulative dosage of 120 mg/kg... most people take a dose way higher than that.

yes i am aware of this. I am doing a lower dose because i tried a higher dose straight away last time and experienced horrible side effects. So i started off low and and and assessing my tolerance each time with the lower dosage. but 40mg is the highest i am going to go. My dermatologist told me that doing a low dose over a longer period of time to reach that accumulative dose is the same result. Thanks for your input beautiful day.

I just finished my course. I found though that using nothing except cerave face cleanser and a non-thick hydrated cream like cerave lotion + not wearing makeup + eating fresh food and only water + cutting dairy + not eating anything that i have allergic sensitivities to cleared me up. At like 5 to 6 months i was clear but i was still breaking out and found it was from personal error. I wanted to contribute something to this convo- this is just my personal experience.

month 5-6! oh well, atleast you are clear now :) can i ask you what dosages you were on, your weight and if u have remained clear since finishing.

thanks avada kedavra acne

MemberMember
(@avada-kedavra-acne)

Posted : 11/22/2013 10:02 pm

>384949369">

How heavy are you, if you are heavier a lower dosage might take longer to take effect from what my derm

said.

nope no peeling at all. I have experienced drying out of existing pimples though and leaving a bit of flaky skin where the pimple was

yes i am aware of this. I am doing a lower dose because i tried a higher dose straight away last time and experienced horrible side effects. So i started off low and and and assessing my tolerance each time with the lower dosage. but 40mg is the highest i am going to go. My dermatologist told me that doing a low dose over a longer period of time to reach that accumulative dose is the same result. Thanks for your input beautiful day.

month 5-6! oh well, atleast you are clear now smile.png can i ask you what dosages you were on, your weight and if u have remained clear since finishing.

thanks avada kedavra acne

I weigh 125 Ibs i was on 60mg- i took 1 pill in the morning and 2 in the evening. And yes im clear still! Accutane can do amazing things- but also going al' natural is the best thing. Think about it- humans arent created to have a bunch of products on the face. Using a very light hydrating lotion and light cleanse and not using makeup made a massive difference. Also diet- the skin is the biggest organ and by eatting right- can benefit it. Drink water and nothing else (or tea if you like on occasion)

Also my brother took accutane freshman year and because he went so minimal after with cleansing he has been clear ever since which is 3+ yrs.

MemberMember
(@cloitus)

Posted : 12/29/2013 12:09 am

Just an update: so it's been another month of my accutane course. So my doses so far have been

Month 1 10mg

month 2 20 mg

month 3 20mg

month 4 30mg

month 5 40mg

month 6 50 mg (halfway through month 6)

Currently my face looks horrible. Even predisone is not helping much. It is my 2nd course of predisone and during my first course of it, it cleared me completely while on it.

So according to my derm i have a few months of accutane left. Having serious doubts if it is going to work for me now. But defintely going to stick the course out since i've already been on it for 6 months and experienced horrific breakouts on it.

MemberMember
(@john-john)

Posted : 12/30/2013 7:08 am

I'm in the group of users who are still experience sort of severe breakouts even at close to 3 months in. I'm on the high end of the dosage scale at 80mg/day but I'm also 80kg so it works out to 1mg/kg exactly. It's frustrating for damn sure but I was expecting a night and day difference at this point. From what I've read on this forum, though, it can take a while for some people while others began responding quite early.

MemberMember
(@cloitus)

Posted : 12/31/2013 12:09 am

I'm in the group of users who are still experience sort of severe breakouts even at close to 3 months in. I'm on the high end of the dosage scale at 80mg/day but I'm also 80kg so it works out to 1mg/kg exactly. It's frustrating for damn sure but I was expecting a night and day difference at this point. From what I've read on this forum, though, it can take a while for some people while others began responding quite early.

Yeah, don't sweat too much. Apparently some people take 4-5 months to clear up totally. I'm a bit worried because i've almost been on it for 6 months. Anyways keep me updated on how your progress is.

My face is so messed up at the moment. 5 massive scabs on my face, a few big reds. And its NYE, so depressing

MemberMember
(@john-john)

Posted : 12/31/2013 1:35 am

Yeah, don't sweat too much. Apparently some people take 4-5 months to clear up totally. I'm a bit worried because i've almost been on it for 6 months. Anyways keep me updated on how your progress is.

My face is so messed up at the moment. 5 massive scabs on my face, a few big reds. And its NYE, so depressing

I know the feeling. I want to go and tear shit up on NYE but I don't think I'm going to feel up to the task. Due mainly to my facial situation. I'm an extrovert in most cases but I've lost a ton of confidence because of my skin. I can honestly say that a year ago my skin was pretty kosher. I look at pictures from then and I think about how I felt that I had a bad complexion.

Comparing then to now, I used to look like Brad Pitt, well, figuratively, of course. All the redness and irritation from the accutane just makes me think that this is all some cruel joke being played out on us all.... Then I wake up and take my morning dose and put on some moisturizer.

MemberMember
(@cloitus)

Posted : 01/09/2014 11:36 pm

since 5 days ago, i haven't broken out. I was getting new breakouts everyday and suddenly they have stopped. It has been almost 6 months into treatment and it has finally stopped. This is just a message for other people on accutane, thinking it doesn't work for them. Good luck everyone! and let me know if you have any questions :)

MemberMember
(@oilyacnequeen)

Posted : 01/12/2014 2:28 pm

It sounds like your dose was too low. Try to keep it high and you'll see faster improvements and potentially lessen the chances of a relapse the higher you go in a shorter amount of time.