Notifications
Clear all

Accutane And Cholesterol

MemberMember
(@kelsey)

Posted : 11/19/2013 5:49 pm

I just got the results of my first pre-Accutane blood results and my liver was perfect, but my cholesterol was high. I'm super nervous. Yesterday I got my second blood test and I go to my derm next Wednesday to hopefully finally get my prescription after my month of waiting. Do you think she would've said something after that blood test last month if my numbers were too bad to continue? To get this far just to be turned away would be heartbreaking.

MemberMember
(@1moretime)

Posted : 11/20/2013 10:45 pm

Hi Kelsey,

If you dont mind me asking, what were your numbers? There may be a number of reasons why you may have had an abnormal reading if you normally dont have high cholesterol. Although your total cholesterol doesnt require you to fast before the test, LDL measurement does require 12 hour fasting. Your LDL measurement (LDL = Total cholesterol- HDL (Triglycerides 5) ) is considered the most important and often determines risk and treatment options. Its also important to know your baseline numbers. My first blood work for accutane came back with higher triglyceride numbers than my baseline but I ate breakfast the morning of my appt because I forgot that there would be blood work.

MemberMember
(@haymariec)

Posted : 11/20/2013 11:09 pm

Mine was slightly higher than normal also, but my doctor still started me on accutane.

MemberMember
(@kelsey)

Posted : 11/21/2013 5:42 pm

Hi Kelsey,

If you dont mind me asking, what were your numbers? There may be a number of reasons why you may have had an abnormal reading if you normally dont have high cholesterol. Although your total cholesterol doesnt require you to fast before the test, LDL measurement does require 12 hour fasting. Your LDL measurement (LDL = Total cholesterol- HDL (Triglycerides 5) ) is considered the most important and often determines risk and treatment options. Its also important to know your baseline numbers. My first blood work for accutane came back with higher triglyceride numbers than my baseline but I ate breakfast the morning of my appt because I forgot that there would be blood work.

There are my numbers:

Total: 239

Triglycerides: 204

HDL: 67

LDL: 131

I also had high white blood cell count :/ My appointment is tomorrow though, so hopefully all is well!

MemberMember
(@1moretime)

Posted : 11/23/2013 10:38 pm

Hi Kelsey,

There are my numbers:

Total: 239

Triglycerides: 204

HDL: 67

LDL: 131

I also had high white blood cell count :/ My appointment is tomorrow though, so hopefully all is well!

Numbers are high but not terrible (if otherwise healthy with no other risk factors). Hope your appointment went well.