Notifications
Clear all

Acne Has Made Me Very Sad And Depressed

MemberMember
(@sadangel)

Posted : 11/13/2013 11:48 pm

Hello.. I'm on here today because I have never spoken to anyone about my acne except for my dermatologist (but that is only about a 3 minute conversation a few times a year)..

I started getting acne in grade 7. It was consistently mild until grade 11 when all of a sudden it became devastatingly out of control. I was always a very beautiful and popular girl with a lot of friends, I even had a boyfriend but we broke up around that time in grade 11.

I tried every possible treatment out there for those 4 years (grade 7-11) creams, antibiotics, home remedies, everything. Then thankfully when my skin was covered in cystic acne ( i could count about 100 pimples on my face everyday) my dermatologist put me on ACCUTANE. It was frustrating for the first few months when I didn't see results and I hated getting my blood taken because it made me faint. But by the 5th month of treatment (may 2012) when i was COMPLETELY CLEAR, I had my happiness back. I had my beauty back. I could live my life again.

A year after that, the acne started to pop up again little by little (May 2013). I was in a relationship until 2 months ago and although I was heartbroken when it ended, I'm also glad because I wouldn't want my boyfriend to see me like this. Since then my face is almost as bad as it was before I took accutane. And for me this is so hard to deal with emotionally because I thought I had said goodbye to acne forever but now it is back causing me to be severely depressed. I never want to leave my house in fear that I may run into someone I know. Whenever I do leave, I'm forced to cover my skin in layers of makeup to make myself presentable.

Acne is stopping me from doing so many things. I wish I could never have to wear makeup and have beautiful angelic skin like all my friends. I even have a boy that I really like calling and texting me trying to start a relationship with me but the last time we saw each other I was still beautiful and he doesn't know what I look like anymore. So I've avoided him (even though that's the opposite of what I want).. and everyone else too... I would love to start a relationship, and go out with my friends, and live my life but I can't.. because I feel hideous. I want to cry when I look in the mirror. I want to cry every time I think of my acne.

The worst part is I've never talked about my acne ever with anyone. I suppose I don't want to draw attention to the subject. I just pretend it doesn't exist. But it is the thing that consumes me most. I am constantly making excuses of why I can't see people when the truth is I just have acne and i can't leave my house.. I'm so sick of it..... I'm so sad to be back in the same situation I was in 2 years ago.. I thought everything was going so well until recently...

Now, it is November 2013, I'm 19 years old and very very sad. I'm taking minocyclin (it's not the first time) and I have seen 0 results. I changed birth control pills (derm's advice)...no results...
I'll be going back on accutane as soon as possible...... Hopefully I can be happy again.

Thanks for reading.. This site helps because I know I'm not alone.

xo

MemberMember
(@jila17)

Posted : 11/14/2013 6:57 pm

I know how you feel, i hate so much having to wear makeup just to go to school and it not be enough, i try buying the best of all products but its just not good enough. I want to wake up look in the mirror and feel beautiful. Your not alone

MemberMember
(@ns1234)

Posted : 11/14/2013 10:50 pm

Same boat here guys/gals! You just need to realize that, as significant as your acne may seem, it is literally the SMALLEST thing in the universe. Life is short, do what you can and leave the worrying to the flies!

When I see another individual with acne, I definitely do not think anything derogatory about that person. Seen many good looking guys and girls with acne and when I'm speaking with them, literally the last thing I would ever consider thinking about would be some dumb acne on their face.

We have little to not control over what our body does. We can only keep trying and leave it at that.

Screw the damn acne, it ain't got sh*t on us haha.

MissSac17, iwantcake, Valerie44 and 1 people liked
MemberMember
(@interested19)

Posted : 11/15/2013 7:24 am

I understand. I'm 19 as well, started getting acne in 2011 was mild, then 2012 got worse, I got rid of it by late 2012 and was clear up until March 2013 then I started to break out, bad. It was all because I stupidly used this product which has left me with really bad hyperpigmentation and a few scars :( Everyday I wish I could go back and undo it, but its done and now I look at myself in the mirror every morning and feel like shit. Now, I get a few pimples here and there sometimes, but with the redness its just really bad and I'm sick to death of it. Your definitely not alone, this truly sucks and noone deserves it, wouldn't even wish it upon my worst enemy. It is literally ruining my life in so many ways.. more self conscious, go out less, not interested in making new friends, conscious of every single thing I eat, my mum keeps telling me I'm doing something wrong as she still sees acne on my face when I literally take care of my face and health more than anyone I know! I wish it would just go away and I can be normal!!!!

MemberMember
(@severehectic)

Posted : 11/15/2013 9:00 am

Ya I was too a victim of acne. Though I no more suffer from ance, it has left blemishes on my skin. Damn you acne!!!

MemberMember
(@aiko1992)

Posted : 12/25/2013 4:36 pm

We all know how you feel, i used to be very depressed at first and i always had mild acne. I can´t even imagine what you are going through, the other day i was looking at some pics here on this blog. People making public there pictures and i saw how severe there acne was and then i looked at the mirror and said to myself ´´ Aiko what are you complaining for´´? ´´you do not have moderated or severe acne like some people do, don´t be so shallow´´ but at the end i still have acne that´s why am here in this blog so i won´t feel like am the only one on earth who has skin issues.

There really isn´t anything that i could say to you that would make you feel better because no matter what we say i know for a fact that you will still be depressed. What i recommend you is not to give up, if the derm puts you back to take accutane take it! it might had not worked in the first time, but am sure it will work on the second take. Every problem has a solution and even though you might not believe that acne has a solution believe me it does ;)

Another thing that i want to tell you this humble advice take it or not. You could just not wear foundation, wear lipstick, eyeliner, make a cute hairstyle, wear some nice cloths and just forget about your skin for a minute. And trust me people wouldn´t be staring at your face but rather how you are dressed and how pretty and confident you are looking.

MemberMember
(@xlaurra)

Posted : 12/27/2013 8:14 am

I completely understand where you're coming from- having to layer on the makeup to go out for only a few minutes, not wanting to leave the house etc. But you have to think about how you react when you see someone with acne- I'm sure you don't judge them, or think anything negative! People will be the same as you, in fact if they don't suffer with it themselves they probably won't even notice, and if they do then they will know what you're going through :) I know it's so difficult to feel beautiful with acne, but you're moving forward by speaking to your dermatologist again, so keep focussing on that.

It's so hard to think positively with acne, but as you said, this site shows you that you aren't alone! :)

MemberMember
(@mahdaviany-mehdi)

Posted : 10/15/2017 7:19 pm

Hi,I feel like you,I live in Iran the third world but I dont choose It,and I think because I live there fore polluted air,greasy food and others I have this skin,and I depressed for two thing where I live and my skin and damn my self why I borned here.
I wanna say I feel like you,I love fashion,I was beauty too,but not now,and It is harder for me,I have many clothes I dont want dress any more,I search in google English I found this page,It was attractive for me، you are comforting together.
I hope one day all of us have a shiny and smooth skin and technology could make enough progress we have smooth skin.
Excuse me if I have a lot mistake.

MemberMember
(@anonymouz1)

Posted : 10/16/2017 12:43 am

I know how you feel. I developed these pussy red looking bastards we call acne at age 11 around my mouth. The next year they multiplied on my forehead before they slowly got to my cheeks. My back developed cystic acne when I was around 13.It also got to my buttocks and thighs.Surpringsily, it also spread to my stomach and chest area when I was 15 but it left on its own after a few months. My jawline, shoulders, buttocks and neck were the most painful because I couldn't move without being in massive pain. The cysts were massive. It took years for them to heal because they would constantly fill up again.

I avoided going to beaches and the cysts on my back were so painful I couldn't walk. They would paralyze me. I also got them on my scalp too combined with dandruff and scalp psoriasis. My teenage years felt as if I was extremely sick. My friends would tell me to just pop them all. I wouldn't take out my shirt to one. Most of my shirts were also bloody because many of the cysts would pop.

Now in my thirties, my face has cleared up. My back is still an acne making laboratory including my shoulders, butt and thighs. On some occasions, I break out on my legs and arms. As you can imagine, the affliction has left me a multitudeof scars to remind me of the pain.

My parents didn't care about it thinking I would grow out of it however at some point, I got fed up of feeling sick. I saw a few dermatologists who prescribed me benzoyl peroxide. It did nothing for my condition until some dermatologist suggested Accutane to me. By that time, my scars had already formed and the tane side effects were impressive to read online. I never took it. I took some antibiotics who did nothing. I did some lifestyle changes which did improve things a little.

Years went on and I gave up on finding a way to get rid of the bastards. I thought of it as a simple nuisance and that I struck out in the genetics department. Frankly, nobody had this in my family to the extent I did.

IWell, the only thing that helped was time. I got older, my hormones went down, less angrier the acne is. Acne took away my best years of my youth. I completed most of my goals in life however these annoying things have stuck with me.

Try being in your thirties with back and buttocks acne. I have to wake up also everyday to my facial pits.

I must say, the facial scars are not so bad. My bacne scarring is much worse.