Notifications
Clear all

Accutane Ear Problem

MemberMember
(@andy12310)

Posted : 11/13/2013 12:38 pm

I am on my second week ok accutane right now. so far the only side effect I have right now is dry lip and I feel tired all the time. But the last few days i have feel pain on my right ear. I could only feel the pain when I open my mouth wide. So this morning when i woke up my right ear feel stuffed but I theres no hearing problems and no ringing. I heard that there will be problems if the ear is ringing so I didnt talk to my doctor yet. Right now the pain on my ear is not as much as before. I am wondering have anyone experince this?? Is this normal??

MemberMember
(@dexterprog)

Posted : 11/13/2013 5:03 pm

I'm having this side effect as well, except it is on my left ear. I've googled and some people posted the same symptoms here:

- stuffy ears / ears poping up

- no apparent hearing loss

- more notable after waking up and seems to become more annoying as the day goes by

I am a med student so I searched every medical source that I know (Pubmed, NEJM, the prospect, Goodman and Gillman's Pharmacology 12th ed) and this side effect is not described anywhere. All the info I found is from users, which one can;t call a valid source as there are a lot of fakes out there.

At first I though it could be congestion secondary to allergies (I'm not allergic as far as I know, but since a year or so I've sneezed more often than usual and had some rhinorrhea (runny nose) episodes.

Anyway, I decided to discontinue my treatment until I can talk to my dermathologist about this. Given that Isotretinoin half life is 10-20 hours, in order for it to clear off from the bloodstream completely is about 50-100 hours (2-4 days), but I don't if the drug accumulates in tissues (it's possible because it is highly lypophilic so it may accumulate in fatty tissue), so it may take more time.

I visited the otorhinolaryngologist and she gave me a corticoid in the form of nasal spray under the diagnoses of rhinorrhea and she say that perhaps that would clear up the congestion, if that was the case. So I am taking that as well now.

I'm in the first day of the suspension of isotretinoin treatment. I'll report back in a day or so.

MemberMember
(@dexterprog)

Posted : 11/13/2013 5:07 pm

by the way: if anyone was wondering, the medical term for "stuffy ears" is "Eustachian tube disfunction"

and I forgot to mention that none of the maneuvers suggested to level out the pressure between the atmosphere and the eustachian tube worked for clearing my ear

MemberMember
(@andy12310)

Posted : 11/15/2013 4:50 pm

I'm having this side effect as well, except it is on my left ear. I've googled and some people posted the same symptoms here:

- more notable after waking up and seems to become more annoying as the day goes by

I am a med student so I searched every medical source that I know (Pubmed, NEJM, the prospect, Goodman and Gillman's Pharmacology 12th ed) and this side effect is not described anywhere. All the info I found is from users, which one can;t call a valid source as there are a lot of fakes out there.

At first I though it could be congestion secondary to allergies (I'm not allergic as far as I know, but since a year or so I've sneezed more often than usual and had some rhinorrhea (runny nose) episodes.

Anyway, I decided to discontinue my treatment until I can talk to my dermathologist about this. Given that Isotretinoin half life is 10-20 hours, in order for it to clear off from the bloodstream completely is about 50-100 hours (2-4 days), but I don't if the drug accumulates in tissues (it's possible because it is highly lypophilic so it may accumulate in fatty tissue), so it may take more time.

I visited the otorhinolaryngologist and she gave me a corticoid in the form of nasal spray under the diagnoses of rhinorrhea and she say that perhaps that would clear up the congestion, if that was the case. So I am taking that as well now.

I'm in the first day of the suspension of isotretinoin treatment. I'll report back in a day or so.

Ok I would like to hear back from you soon. Thanks

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 11/15/2013 4:57 pm

I am on my second week ok accutane right now. so far the only side effect I have right now is dry lip and I feel tired all the time. But the last few days i have feel pain on my right ear. I could only feel the pain when I open my mouth wide. So this morning when i woke up my right ear feel stuffed but I theres no hearing problems and no ringing. I heard that there will be problems if the ear is ringing so I didnt talk to my doctor yet. Right now the pain on my ear is not as much as before. I am wondering have anyone experince this?? Is this normal??

Accutane can cause problems with the condyles in the jaw. Oftentimes this feels like ear pain because of how the condyle placement directly affects that area. For example, one of the most common symptoms of TMJ is ear pain, even though it's a jaw issue.

MemberMember
(@andy12310)

Posted : 11/16/2013 2:21 pm

So I have went to see the doctor. He said that my ear is fine there's no problem. It's my jaw that he said is the problem. He told me that in a month it will be back to normal and no he said it got nothing to do with accutane

MemberMember
(@dexterprog)

Posted : 11/17/2013 4:40 pm

I'm actually thinking this is a consequence of my bruxism rather than accutane. This sucks, I feel terrible, and there's nothing to do about bruxism. My derm said she never heard of this side effect as it being related to Accutane, but I'm still not taking it until I have another appoinment with an otorhinolaryngologist next Tuesday.

The only thing that reduces my malaise is muscle relaxants (mainly pridinol) and taking a bath (I guess the steam opens up the Eustachian tube as well as relaxes my jaw and ear muscles)

I'll get back to you people next Tuesday.

PD: I'm begining Neurology (subject) tomorrow, so I will ask my teacher about this as well, he may have a better sugestion.

>I am on my second week ok accutane right now. so far the only side effect I have right now is dry lip and I feel tired all the time. But the last few days i have feel pain on my right ear. I could only feel the pain when I open my mouth wide. So this morning when i woke up my right ear feel stuffed but I theres no hearing problems and no ringing. I heard that there will be problems if the ear is ringing so I didnt talk to my doctor yet. Right now the pain on my ear is not as much as before. I am wondering have anyone experince this?? Is this normal??

MemberMember
(@oli-girl)

Posted : 11/17/2013 10:15 pm

Accutane can cause bone loss and it is stated in the rx prescribing information of such and also that it can cause osteomyelitis and osteonecrosis. Which can happen to any bone in the body even the jaw! Of course all doctors say they have never heard of any thing bad being associated with Accutane or deny it's the cause. If you do a search you find others who have developed jaw issues whether severe TMJ etc...

It also states that it can cause hearing loss!

Good Luck