Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

This has probaby been talked about before on here, but i'm new so sorry for bringing it up again. My acne is mild, sometimes moderate, but I have very sensitive skin and was wondering if BP or SA would be better for me. Considering the Regimen uses only BP i'm sure most of the responses I'm gonna get are going to say BP, but is there anyone out there who can tell me anything about SA too?

SA clears out the pores. It itself doesnt kill acne. Thats what BP does. It put oxygen into the skin and since p. acne cant live in that environment, it kills them (i thnk). So overall BP is the best.

What I do, and a bunch of other people do, is to wash your face with SA then apply some BP. Since the SA is clearing out the pores, it leaves them nice and open and clean for the BP to penetrate the skin and do its magic. If you have sensitive skin (like me), look for an SA thats only about .5%, then apply 2.5% BP on the area after that. If you dont have sensitive skin I guess you could use any good 2% SA then apply a 2.5% BP gel or cream on it.

For a good SA/BP system that only has .5% SA check out my thread: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=33499

so far so good smile.gif

Hope this helps biggrin.gif

SA clears out the pores.  It itself doesnt kill acne.  Thats what BP does.  It put oxygen into the skin and since p. acne cant live in that environment, it kills them (i thnk).  So overall BP is the best.

What I do, and a bunch of other people do, is to wash your face with SA then apply some BP.  Since the SA is clearing out the pores, it leaves them nice and open and clean for the BP to penetrate the skin and do its magic.  If you have sensitive skin (like me), look for an SA thats only about .5%, then apply 2.5% BP on the area after that.  If you dont have sensitive skin I guess you could use any good 2% SA then apply a 2.5% BP gel or cream on it.

For a good SA/BP system that only has .5% SA check out my thread: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=33499

so far so good  smile.gif

Hope this helps  biggrin.gif

salicylic acid

Mild acid solutions, such as salicylic acid and glycolic acid, can be effective on acne. These encourage the peeling of the top layer of skin and the opening of plugged follicles, which helps reestablish the normal skin-cell replacement cycle. For milder acne, salicylic acid helps unclog pores to resolve and prevent lesions. It does not have any effect on the production of sebum or the presence of P. acnes bacteria. Like many other topical acne treatments, salicylic acid must be used continuously, even after acne lesions have healed. Its effects stop when you stop using it, so your skin will return to its uneven shedding; pores become clogged, and acne returns.

PRECAUTIONS

The approved range of salicylic acid concentrations for acne treatment is 0.5%–2%. This medicine can be very drying to the skin, even in low concentrations. If you experience dryness or irritation, take a look at the other skin products you're using. Some products can enhance the keratolytic properties of salicylic acid, leaving your skin dry. A few things to avoid when you are using salicylic acid products:

• Abrasive soaps or cleansers

• Alcohol-containing preparations

• Any other topical acne preparation or preparation containing a peeling agent

(benzoyl peroxide, resorcinol, sulfur, or tretinoin [vitamin A acid])

• Cosmetics or soaps that dry the skin

• Medicated cosmetics

• Other topical skin medicine

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Benzoyl peroxide works by destroying P. acnes, the bacteria that causes the condition acne. It acts as an antiseptic and oxidizing agent, reducing the number of comedones, or blocked pores. It may be 2–3 weeks before you begin to see improvement.

NOTE: While benzoyl peroxide kills existing P. acnes, it does not increase your body’s natural resistance to bacteria. So even when your breakouts begin to disappear, you should keep treating acne-prone areas. Why? This course of treatment kills bacteria, but it does not affect sebum production or the rate at which you shed your dead skin cells. If you stop using it, the bacteria  and your acne  will return.

They serve different purposes. If you had to chose only one med...you would base your decision on whether you suffer more from

inflamed acne (zits, cysts, papules) ...choose BP

non inflamed acne (clogged pores, blackheads etc)....choose BHA

some people can work both into a skincare routine sucessfully, while many cant. You have to be very careful because they can combine to be very irritating and drying.

BHA aka Beta Hydroxy Acid aka Salicylic acid

bha works better if left on the skin...so cleansers are not the best choice. I think Paula's choice (buy online) 1 and 2 % bha solutions and lotions are likely to be superior formulations than most of the heavily scented, heavily coloured, and often heavily irritating otc brands ie: Neutrogena, cleans and clear, etc etc.