Notifications
Clear all

Just Been Prescribed Accutane, Have A Few Questions

MemberMember
(@bobert09)

Posted : 11/11/2013 4:36 pm

So I just picked up my 30 day supply of Accutane (the brand I got is called Amnesteem) and I'm starting my treatment today. I had a few questions about possible side effects though.

The two that worry me the most are hair loss and depression or psychosis. I really don't want to lose any of my hair, and possible mental health problems sound quite scary. Has anyone who's taken Accutane experienced these? Are these somewhat normal or very rare side effects?

Side note: I also know that dry eyes will be a possibility, what is a good lubricating eyedrop brand?

MemberMember
(@avada-kedavra-acne)

Posted : 11/11/2013 5:31 pm

Okay i literally just finished my course last week. I was on a full 7 months- stopped half way through my last month. The drug is worth it- but i can only say that for myself because like every drug the side effects vary from person to person. Im going to start out at the skincare part of it, and i learned this throughout my course. First off, if you wear makeup (foundation wise) that you cover your face with- dont use it anymore. Just spot conceal. I saw that because my face was just so dry and sensitive that just taking it off was doing more damage than good- and right now because im done i dont even wear makeup! and i feel thats what also contributed to my spots. Secondly i was recc a thick cream to hydrate my dry face- problem is im so clog prone (even on the meds) that it was just overload and just sat on my skin. I would recc a light one that does an excellent job (Cerave Hydrating lotion in the pump) feels so fresh on my skin. Second, cleansing- all you need is just use the most basic cleanser even- i recc CeraVe Hydration Cleanser- twice a day. I find that at night i gently take a bit longer cleansing like 30 seconds to just take the gunk off my skin from the day- and in the morning i take a small pump and just do a quick 6 second thing because my skin isnt that dirty and its dry so you dont want to strip it. Also with your skin you want to be as bare as possible using toners, heavy mouisterzers to slop on your skin isnt really needed. Just go easy. Also with your lips get something like Carmex or aquafor.

Now another important thing to do is drink water! Im not saying three glasses per day- im talking like elephant gallons. hah anyways i have a Camelbak water bottle that is about 800ML and i drink two of those just during breakfast. your body on the meds is soooo dry inside, and out that i could literally drink water all day.

Also stay positive on the medicine- you probably know about the IB of the medicine. It will get worse for a month or so- but you will be soooo happy after. Thats the tough part- once you get through it, its just straight sailing.

Okay so getting to the Side effects part- dryness is already a promise on the meds. Hair loss- (i didnt experience it- depends on person but both me and my brother didnt have that issue at all) Mental health: Even though i did lie to my derm about this when they asked if im feeling fine (mentally ofcourse) I said ofcourse! But on the medicine i did feel *odd* Its been around two weeks maybe since i stopped and i feel a bit better. But i had memory issues, and fits of anger, anxiety to the point where i was so done with college. But i knew it was just the meds so i kept on with school (thank goodness!).

Last statements: When your on this medicine or any its not just the derms job to prescribe it, and overlook the process- *you* have to be the judge in all this. If you become concerned about something pick up the phone and call your derm. I had anxiety before i started too- even to the point where i thought i would die from it (I overreacted a bit) Once you start it that will go away.

Good luck! this post was just a ramble with absolutely no rules of grammer