Notifications
Clear all

Info On Lasers?

MemberMember
(@eheheh)

Posted : 11/09/2013 11:06 pm

Hearing such discouraging stories about treating scars on the nose, I think I might have to resort to lasers for my nose. I don't know much about them, and my research hasn't yielded very informative anecdotes about people who've actually done it.

a) Which laser would have the best effect on reducing/removing my scars?

b) Which laser is safest for darker skin? And if my skin does darken, is there a way to lighten it back up?

c) What is the approximate cost of getting just my nose or half of my nose lasered?

d) How many treatments are usually needed for medium sized scars?

Types of Scars I Have: Four scars between the middle of my nose and the tip. One medium sized icepick, one broad shallow boxcar, and two moderate depth circular scars. Quite a few enlarged pores in that area as well.

Background Information: I had inflammatory acne but it's now under control. I am a medium brown skin color.

I'd really appreciate any help I can get! I've been so helped and inspired by people's posts on this website and I barely joined yesterday! <3

P.S. I may try uploading a photo of my nose later, it's just really hard to find proper lighting in this house.

MemberMember
(@eheheh)

Posted : 11/09/2013 11:32 pm

From what I have read here, the only useful lasers are ablative lasers, specifically fraxel repair. I have had fraxel restore at medium-to-max settings and no pigmentation problems 1.5 year after, and I have type IV skin, however most people here say it is useless and my improvements weren't huge.

Keep in mind fraxel restore on med-high settings is one of the strongest of the non-ablative lasers. For our skin type, ablative lasers are off limits. The softer lasers won't do anything significant, my experience and this board confirms that.

Have you tried dermarolling? I hear it is similar to fraxel laser but with no pigmentation issues, and the depth can be adjusted as high as 3mm.

I've heard of dermarolling but can't remember exactly what it is...do you mind explaining? Have you tried it?

MemberMember
(@325world)

Posted : 11/09/2013 11:37 pm

MemberMember
(@eheheh)

Posted : 11/09/2013 11:48 pm

From what I have read here, the only useful lasers are ablative lasers, specifically fraxel repair. I have had fraxel restore at medium-to-max settings and no pigmentation problems 1.5 year after, and I have type IV skin, however most people here say it is useless and my improvements weren't huge.

Keep in mind fraxel restore on med-high settings is one of the strongest of the non-ablative lasers. For our skin type, ablative lasers are off limits. The softer lasers won't do anything significant, my experience and this board confirms that.

Have you tried dermarolling? I hear it is similar to fraxel laser but with no pigmentation issues, and the depth can be adjusted as high as 3mm.

I've heard of dermarolling but can't remember exactly what it is...do you mind explaining? Have you tried it?

It is basically a needle from 0.2mm - 3.0mm (lasers are from 0.5mm to 1.5mm equivalent) that is rolled over the skin (after it is numbed with cream) to create damaged zones which is supposed to stimulate collagen regeneration, which is similar to what lasers do.

I have not, but out of everything out there and considering my skin type, dermarolling 1.5mm, along with enerjet/airgent are the last major treatments I will employ. Fraxel restore at high settings did a bit but I want more improvement.

For just the nose you can probably do it yourself at home. You can also try tca cross but I hear conflicting review about the feasibility for tanned skin.

Thanks for your help!

MemberMember
(@acnescar123)

Posted : 11/11/2013 8:11 am

b) Which laser is safest for darker skin? And if my skin does darken, is there a way to lighten it back up?

c) What is the approximate cost of getting just my nose or half of my nose lasered?

Types of Scars I Have: Four scars between the middle of my nose and the tip. One medium sized icepick, one broad shallow boxcar, and two moderate depth circular scars. Quite a few enlarged pores in that area as well.

Background Information: I had inflammatory acne but it's now under control. I am a medium brown skin color.

a) Fractional co2

b) Probably erbium or "fake" co2 (fraxel re:store). It won't darken - it will do the opposite, it will lighten

c) Depends on the laser and depth. Probably around $500->$1500

d) 3-5 of the fractional co2

You need to find a doctor who has experience dealing with darker skin types.

MemberMember
(@eheheh)

Posted : 11/12/2013 8:17 pm

a) Fractional co2

b) Probably erbium or "fake" co2 (fraxel re:store). It won't darken - it will do the opposite, it will lighten

c) Depends on the laser and depth. Probably around $500->$1500

d) 3-5 of the fractional co2

You need to find a doctor who has experience dealing with darker skin types.

Thanks a bunch! Do you know if the skin lightens, is it permanent or will it everntually go back to normal?