Notifications
Clear all

Vaseline As Skin Moisturizer

MemberMember
(@agentpeach)

Posted : 11/09/2013 9:56 pm

Hi guys, so my skin is so dry, I feel like this may be time for some serious hydration. On my lips I've put Vaseline but is it non-comedognic for the rest of my face? Any recommendation for when skin is dry to the point when moving is uncomfortable and flaking is severe?

MemberMember
(@vanbelle)

Posted : 11/09/2013 10:18 pm

MemberMember
(@everythingthatshimmers)

Posted : 11/09/2013 11:08 pm

Obviously everyone is different but when I have tried to use Vaseline on my face in the past (or any petroleum-based product such as Aquaphor) it has broken me out. I have had better luck with Cetaphil moisturizing cream or pure shea butter.

MemberMember
(@tom-busby)

Posted : 11/10/2013 3:44 am

Vaseline and Aquaphor are not water soluble, and they don't wash off easily. Just try one or the other and form your own opinion. Mine is that they are not very functional unless blended into some other lotion. They are useful in that they will greatly thicken anything they are blended into, even at 5%. You have to heat Aquaphor to 120 degrees F, (where it melts and becomes clear) and then blend in 2x, and then 4x, of whatever lotion you like, and then ladle this back into the rest of the lotion, in order to emulsify Aquaphor or Vaseline.

MemberMember
(@agentpeach)

Posted : 11/11/2013 10:17 am

Vaseline and Aquaphor are not water soluble, and they don't wash off easily. Just try one or the other and form your own opinion. Mine is that they are not very functional unless blended into some other lotion. They are useful in that they will greatly thicken anything they are blended into, even at 5%. You have to heat Aquaphor to 120 degrees F, (where it melts and becomes clear) and then blend in 2x, and then 4x, of whatever lotion you like, and then ladle this back into the rest of the lotion, in order to emulsify Aquaphor or Vaseline.

Thanks for the tip, I never considered blending it in with other moisturizers. That seems more functional than applying it directly.

Thank you all for the feedback and good to know it's non-comedogenic!

MemberMember
(@mrsrobinson)

Posted : 11/13/2013 8:35 am

try coconut oil....breaks some out, and is a wonder for others....I don't use it on my face but I use it on my body where I have dry skin (no dry skin on my face!) and I love it, love the smell too

go slow try it in a spot and see what happens...

MemberMember
(@calipoppy)

Posted : 11/13/2013 3:10 pm

According to comedogenic rating scales online, petroleum and mineral oil is a 0. Meaning it will not clog pores. I personally use Aquaphor healing ointment (main ingredient being Vaseline) and its the only product that has healed my flaky dry skin caused by my 10% BP treatment. I haven't had any problems with it clogging my pores. :)

post-360988-0-15500100-1384373309_thumb.

post-360988-0-15500100-1384373309_thumb.

MemberMember
(@sunnysarah)

Posted : 11/13/2013 3:18 pm

Hi guys, so my skin is so dry, I feel like this may be time for some serious hydration. On my lips I've put Vaseline but is it non-comedognic for the rest of my face? Any recommendation for when skin is dry to the point when moving is uncomfortable and flaking is severe?

Hello AgentPeach! (I love your name by the way)

This isn't a long term solution, but a really moisturizing mask is one with extra virgin olive oil and egg yolks. I don't have super dry skin, but it's been much colder where I live and my skin has gotten a little drier. Olive oil is very moisturizing and egg yolks have lots of good fats and vitamins. The yellowness of the whole mask helps with any redness from the dry skin and your skin will feel soft, not oily and it will glow after using this mask! If you try this mask out, just break an egg, put only the yolk, no white, in a bowl and add olive oil. Mix the ingredients and then apply to a clean face. I usually leave mine on for 30 minutes or a little more so I get the full benefits from the mask. Hope this helps! (:

MemberMember
(@agentpeach)

Posted : 11/13/2013 3:58 pm

This isn't a long term solution, but a really moisturizing mask is one with extra virgin olive oil and egg yolks. I don't have super dry skin, but it's been much colder where I live and my skin has gotten a little drier. Olive oil is very moisturizing and egg yolks have lots of good fats and vitamins. The yellowness of the whole mask helps with any redness from the dry skin and your skin will feel soft, not oily and it will glow after using this mask! If you try this mask out, just break an egg, put only the yolk, no white, in a bowl and add olive oil. Mix the ingredients and then apply to a clean face. I usually leave mine on for 30 minutes or a little more so I get the full benefits from the mask. Hope this helps! (:

Thanks so much for the tip, I'll give it a try. I also live in a cold climate and dry winter skin is common issue here. Down below freezing already a few times here and my lips are already chapped and my skin is dry.

MemberMember
(@sunnysarah)

Posted : 11/13/2013 4:29 pm

Thanks so much for the tip, I'll give it a try. I also live in a cold climate and dry winter skin is common issue here. Down below freezing already a few times here and my lips are already chapped and my skin is dry.

Let me know how it works for you! I'm going to do this mask tonight as well. It is very moisturizing, but is all natural, so you don't have to worry about breaking out from chemical ingredients. (: