Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HoustonZit

Acne killing my work/social life....

Hey all,

Well - the past three weeks now I've been playing a "game" every morning called "Where's whitey?" Every morning I wake up and there is a new whitehead on my face. It's terrible. EVERY day for three weeks and they just won't go away. I've been using The Regimen and while overall my skin is clearer (but dryer), these whiteheads are just confidence killers. I really don't know what to do anymore. I go to work and know people are probably laughing at me behind my back. I am 24 and have had acne for about 10 years now. I could understand in high school - but all through college and now while at work??? I've mentioned elsewhere on this board that I do not want to use Accutane for fear of the side effects. It's just not something I want to do right now. But I can't keep looking like this. It's horrifying. I'm not suicidal or anything, but it's really depressing when I will stay home most Saturday nights just because I want to avoid people seeing me covered in zits.

I just needed to vent - but any feedback will be appreciated!

I also was hesitant at going on accutane, I'm 18 now and after 6 years of suffering from acne and trying acne products I decided to go on accutane as I felt nothing would clear my acne ( wich is mild ) except for accutane. In the second week I noticed a major improvement, socially and mentally it gave me a huge boost, I'm in my 9th week and completely clear, with the exception of a few red marks. The only side effects I've experienced are chapped lips and scaling skin, wich I solved with blistex / moisteriser. I can only speak for myself, but accutane was definately a good thing.

Although I have never been on accutane, I wouldn't be so affraid of it, especially if I was having persistant acne problems at the age where most people's skin problems naturally stop. I mean, it's not your fault, so I think you should just do it. A lot of people are really quick to suggest accutane, but it sounds to me like it really should be something to talk to your doctor about.

What is Differin? I have spoken to one doctor and he recommended Accutane, but I really don't want to take the chances with the side effects. Some people are adament that the side effects are minimal, but others strongly tell their sad tales. However, I've tried every OTC med there is (I think) and have even tried Minocyline and Duac Gel.

I can usually "control" the acne with BP, but there are still several patches of red blemishes with the numerous whitehead breakouts all over.

Just to update - 4 new whiteheads this morning. I can't get away from em...and I feel a "big" on coming on right below my lower lip. Just in time for work on Monday I bet....

OK, i got this from the description paper in the differin box itself.

INDICATIONS AND USAGE

Differin Gel is proposed for the cutaneous treatment of acne vulgaris where comedones, papules and pustules predominate. Acne on the face, chest or back is appropriate for treatment.

UNDESIRABLE EFFECTS

The major undesirable effect which may occur is irriration of the skin which is reversible when treatment is reduced in frequency or discontinued.

I don't know about your area, but I needed to get a prescription from the doc before I could go to those drug stores to buy it.

Looking at other posts and pages I think Differin works best with tetracycline. Without it a lot of people said it did nothing or made their faces worse.