Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey guys, so ive been on accutane for roughly 3 weeks and can see a noticable amount of dandruff or what i believe to be dandruff.

I went out and bought neutrogena T-get shampoo and a nice moisturizing conditioner but it doesnt seem to be working too well.

My hair was oily before accutane but i can see a huge difference in less oil production in my hair.

I was wondering if any of you have had this same problem and would like to reccommend some shampoos that will do a good job moisturizing my scalp because it seems like head and shoulder and t-gel, ones made for dandruff arnet working?

Edited by TimeForAChange

okay what i did is just shampoo like twice a week (mon and fri). and just get a really good hydrating conditioner to use everyday. Or use head and shoulders 2in1 which does a great job too!

Thanks for the tip, ill def try it out!

I experienced the same problem and anti-dandruff shampoos did not help me either. I think it's because it's not truly dandruff but dry skin. Here's what worked for me:

1. I switched to a sulfate-free shampoo, these do not have the harsh detergents that most shampoos have in them and they are more gentle on your hair and scalp. I used DermOrganics for awhile (available on amazon.com) and I used L'Oreal's Intense Nourishing Shampoo for awhile, both were good. The L'Oreal shampoo is available at your drugstore and is very reasonable, DermOrganics costs a bit more.

2. I used an intensive moisturizing conditioner. I tried several brands, tried some hot oil treatments, etc and the product that worked for me was L'Oreal Power Moisture Moisture Rush Masque. It comes in a teal jar, I would put quite a bit of it on, let it absorb while I bathed, shaved, etc and then rinse it out. Sometimes I would also add drops of jojoba oil for added moisture but the conditioner itself seemed to be enough to stop the flaking.

3. I stopped washing my hair as often. I went from washing my hair daily to every other day, occasionally every 3 days. Like you, I normally had oily hair so that was a big change. Now that I have been off Accutane for three months, my hair is now oily again.

When I went to my salon I would also request a moisturizing treatment which was helpful but not absolutely necessary, just something else to consider. =)

Good luck to you!

Ditto with the above posters on not washing your hair as often-- My hair used to be an oil slick after 5pm, and now I go about 3-4 days in between washings. When I do wash it, I put conditioner on my ends before I shampoo just at the roots (this helps protect the ends from the stripping qualities of the shampoo) and then condition my whole head for about 5 minutes. I use a deep conditioner and Got2B Oilicious shampoo. For hair products, I use tons of Argan Oil and It's a 10 Miracle Leave In Product. I'll use the argan oil on my ends throughout the next few days too.

I had a slight dandruff problem at one point, so I mixed a little bit of head and shoulders with the Oilicious shampoo and just conditioned for a bit longer. The H&S can be too drying on it's own, I think, but the combination kicked the problem and my hair feels fine.