Notifications
Clear all

Topicals For Hormonal Acne

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 11/05/2013 5:31 pm

Alright, I'd just like to put the word out there about topicals that can actually help with hormonal acne.

The standard acne topicals, like your Duacs and Epiduos and Benzaclins and ProActives, do not help hormonal acne because they simply don't communicate with hormones. Acne is a long chain of events, and topicals typically attack the END of the chain, which is bacteria and inflammation.

Hormones are at the beginning of the chain, and the typical way to address hormones is with a pill or herbal supplement of some sort.

But I want to address this: there are actually topicals that can communicate with hormones. If you get bad side effects from birth control pills or anti-androgen herbs, or if these methods aren't clearing you 100%, there ARE topical options that can help you control your acne.

Topical spironolactone cream. This works as an anti-androgen directly on the follicles you apply it to. There is currently no evidence that it is absorbed significantly systemically, so it is safe for males or those who don't respond well to spironolactone pills.

Butyl Avocodate / Avocutine / 5-alpha Avocuta. A 2% cream was able to reduce sebum production by 30% after 3 weeks. Butyl Avocdate is an inhibitor of 5-alpha reductase type 1. It is a patented ingredient and is NOT the same thing as avocado oil. It is OBTAINED from avocado oil through a specific process, but if you just slather avocado oil on your face you won't be getting the active ingredient.

Lichochalcone. Inhibits 5-alpha reductase.

L-Carnitine. Encourages uptake of fatty acids in the mitochondria, converting them into energy instead of sebum. Topical application can reduce the amount of sebum.

Saw Palmetto. Saw Palmetto capsules are the go-to ingredient for men with hormonal acne. It is also available in some creams.

Vitamin B5. There was a study done showing that vitamin B5, because of its role in CoA metabolism, can keep excess lipids from accumulating in sebaceous glands. Also when your level of vitamin B5 is too low, CoA increases androgen production.

Relatively untested ingredients: The following ingredients were shown in one small study to have beneficial effects, but so far the reliability is very low compared to the ingredients above.

Peppermint. Inhibits 5 alpha reductase.

Arnica. Inhibits androgen receptor binding.

• Look for arnica creams in the pain relief section of any drugstore.
Jofo and Valerie44 liked
MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 11/05/2013 5:59 pm

Butyl Avocodate Study:

Pharmacological and Clinical Activities of 5-Alpha Avocuta : Application for the Management of Androgenic Disorders

Abstract number: 407

Piccardi1 N, Piccirilli1 A, Choulot1 JC, Chadoutaud2 B, Msika1 P

Androgen-dependent disorders, such as seborrhoea, acne and alopecia are among the most common diseases encountered by dermatologists in daily practice. These pathologies are in part related to an hyper-activity of 5-alpha reductase, the enzyme that metabolises testosterone into dihydrotestosterone (DHT) a major potent androgen in human skin. In this work, we have investigated the efficacy of a lipidic fatty ester: 5-alpha Avocuta (butyl avocadate). Butyl avocadate is obtained from refined avocado oil through a biotechnological process, and is purified by molecular distillation.

We have demonstrated using dermal fibroblasts in culture that 5-alphaAvocuta is a potent inhibitors of 5-alpha reductase type I activity (-49% for the smallest dose tested 0.01%).

A multi-centric clinical evaluation, under dermatologist control, was conducted on 27 volunteers. The purpose of this study was to test the efficiency of a shampoo (1% of 5-acute Aocuta) after 3 weeks of application (1 application/2 days). Analysis of sebum secretion (SebufixA F16) by visual scoring and by image analysis (Skin VisiometerA, SV600, CK, Germany) demonstrate that this shampoo is able to significantly reduce sebaceous production. Clinical investigations by the dermatologist (analogic scale) show that the shampoo clearly improves greasy hair aspect, and is able to reduce itching and pruritus, as well as dandruffs. The auto-evaluation by the volunteers confirms these data. The efficiency of 5-alphaAvocuta, formulated at 2% in a skin care, has been also demonstrated in the management of the hyper-seborrhoea of the face. After 3 weeks (application twice a day), this specific formulation was able to reduce the sebum production (-30%) at the level of the face, to improve all the clinical parameters (-31% in average) and to reduce the number of open comedons. The volunteers have also approved the efficiency of the product (78% good opinion), and they have reported an improvement of their quality of life.

5-alpha Avocuta is a new and original inhibitor of 5-alpha-reductase type I activity with proven efficiency on human scalp and skin disorders related to hyper-seborrhoea. This natural active ingredient may open the way to the formulation of original and efficient products dedicated to the treatment of androgenic disorders.

2Clinical Research Consultant, France 1R&D Center, Laboratoires Expanscience, France.

- See more at: http://www.regrowth.com/hair-loss-forums/topic/avocado-oil-extract/#sthash.k3afXPK2.dpuf

L-Carnitine Study:

Summary

Background Oily skin condition is caused by an excessive sebaceous gland activity, resulting in an overproduction of sebum, giving the skin an undesired shiny, oily appearance.

Aims To identify an active substance that reduces sebum production in human sebaceous glands by regulating fat metabolism in a natural way.

Patients/Methods The effects of l-carnitine on -oxidation and intracellular lipid content were investigated in vitro using the human sebaceous cell line SZ95. Penetration experiments utilizing pig skin as a model system were performed with a cosmetic formulation containing radioactively labeled l-carnitine. To determine the in vivo effects, a vehicle-controlled, randomized study was carried out using a cosmetic formulation containing 2%l-carnitine for 3 weeks. Sebum production was investigated utilizing the lipid-absorbent Sebutape.

Results SZ95 cells treated with 0.5% or 1%l-carnitine demonstrated a significant concentration-dependent increase in -oxidation compared to control cells. Following the treatment with l-carnitine, intracellular lipid concentrations decreased significantly in a dose-dependent manner compared with untreated control cells. In skin penetration experiments, topically applied l-carnitine reached the dermis. In addition, topical in vivo application of a formulation containing 2%l-carnitine for 3 weeks significantly decreased the sebum secretion rate compared to the treatment with vehicle.

Conclusions Our results show that the treatment of human sebocytes with l-carnitine significantly augments -oxidation and significantly decreases intracellular lipid content in human sebocytes. Topically applied l-carnitine is bioavailable and leads to a significant sebum reduction in vivo. In conclusion, l-carnitine represents a valuable compound, produced naturally within the body, for the topical treatment of oily skin in humans.

Valerie44 liked
MemberMember
(@clear-my-skin)

Posted : 11/07/2013 2:53 pm

I'm tempted to go for the spirolactone cream, and use it day and night. It seems the cheapest but some people have said it's ineffective.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 11/07/2013 6:45 pm

I'm tempted to go for the spirolactone cream, and use it day and night. It seems the cheapest but some people have said it's ineffective.

I know at least two people on this board (males) who have raved about it. I don't think they started their own posts, but reviewed it in response to someone else's post about hormonal acne or saw palmetto or something.

MemberMember
(@clear-my-skin)

Posted : 11/09/2013 5:40 pm

I know at least two people on this board (males) who have raved about it. I don't think they started their own posts, but reviewed it in response to someone else's post about hormonal acne or saw palmetto or something.

I'm just anxious about putting the cream on my face? It's meant for hair and I'm worried it might age or irritate my skin or even clog my pores. Any info?

MemberMember
(@jjjmmmhhh12345)

Posted : 11/26/2013 6:15 pm

Alright, I'd just like to put the word out there about topicals that can actually help with hormonal acne.

The standard acne topicals, like your Duacs and Epiduos and Benzaclins and ProActives, do not help hormonal acne because they simply don't communicate with hormones. Acne is a long chain of events, and topicals typically attack the END of the chain, which is bacteria and inflammation.

Hormones are at the beginning of the chain, and the typical way to address hormones is with a pill or herbal supplement of some sort.

But I want to address this: there are actually topicals that can communicate with hormones. If you get bad side effects from birth control pills or anti-androgen herbs, or if these methods aren't clearing you 100%, there ARE topical options that can help you control your acne.

Topical spironolactone cream. This works as an anti-androgen directly on the follicles you apply it to. There is currently no evidence that it is absorbed significantly systemically, so it is safe for males or those who don't respond well to spironolactone pills.

Butyl Avocodate / Avocutine / 5-alpha Avocuta. A 2% cream was able to reduce sebum production by 30% after 3 weeks. Butyl Avocdate is an inhibitor of 5-alpha reductase type 1. It is a patented ingredient and is NOT the same thing as avocado oil. It is OBTAINED from avocado oil through a specific process, but if you just slather avocado oil on your face you won't be getting the active ingredient.

Lichochalcone. Inhibits 5-alpha reductase.

L-Carnitine. Encourages uptake of fatty acids in the mitochondria, converting them into energy instead of sebum. Topical application can reduce the amount of sebum.

Saw Palmetto. Saw Palmetto capsules are the go-to ingredient for men with hormonal acne. It is also available in some creams.

Vitamin B5. There was a study done showing that vitamin B5, because of its role in CoA metabolism, can keep excess lipids from accumulating in sebaceous glands. Also when your level of vitamin B5 is too low, CoA increases androgen production.

Relatively untested ingredients: The following ingredients were shown in one small study to have beneficial effects, but so far the reliability is very low compared to the ingredients above.

Peppermint. Inhibits 5 alpha reductase.

Arnica. Inhibits androgen receptor binding.

• Look for arnica creams in the pain relief section of any drugstore.

Green Gables,

I always had clear skin (none of the knocking on wood has helped me apparently). Even as a teenager I only had mild breakouts. I've been taking birth control for about 8 years and now trying to stop. I know, I know, has anyone heard that one before? Anyways, tried last year, succeeded for 6 months, had an emotional breakdown about my acne (" I am the ONLY person in the world with acne at this age" heard that one?) and went back on the pill. Now I am trying again, but this time I decided to do it right. Treat my skin before I went off get it completely clear (on retinoids) and then stop. Now I stopped and acne is starting its little feast. I spoke to my derm and she prescribed spiro. But I went online and found lots of anecdotal evidence of severe problem when withdrawing from it, in fact, much worse than coming of birth control. People reported having problems not only with acne coming back with a vengeance but also severe hair loss.

Now I have read your other posts and know you are really smart and informed. So I am sincerely wanting to know about your take on it.

Also, I am deciding to stick to more natural methods for as long as I can hang in there (I'm on month three of post BC and last time I made it to month 6). What are your experiences? I had never heard of Saw Palmetto before. I saw you posted that it's for men. Are you familiar with anything of the sort that would be beneficial for women?

If you don't mind me asking, are you a man or a women? In all other respects it would not matter, but as we are speaking hormones, I would obviously base myself more closely on your experience if you are woman. :) makes sense no?

Thanks for the informative post. As you know if you check your msgs I am you huge fan!

MemberMember
(@tglimmer)

Posted : 07/01/2015 10:14 pm

Isn't all acne hormonal? Not trying to be contrary just curios what you mean because I am trying to diagnose my own situation. I have hormonal acne, that much is for sure. Does the regimen work for hormonal acne??

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 07/05/2015 8:35 am

Yes, it does but it will not solve your internal hormonal issues. Simply masking the "warning" sign that is acne.