Notifications
Clear all

Is It Safe To A Cut 20Mg Of Roaccutane In Half?

MemberMember
(@patkluivert)

Posted : 11/04/2013 10:16 am

I have ran out of 10mg tablets prior to my next appointment. My local NHS pharmacy will not provide my next batch until I have completed the next blood test. What I do have however is an abundance of 20mg tablets.

Would it be possible to cut one of those in half? The purpose of this would be to fulfill my 50mg dosage.

MemberMember
(@ballen)

Posted : 11/04/2013 11:22 am

I have ran out of 10mg tablets prior to my next appointment. My local NHS pharmacy will not provide my next batch until I have completed the next blood test. What I do have however is an abundance of 20mg tablets.

Would it be possible to cut one of those in half? The purpose of this would be to fulfill my 50mg dosage.

I dont think anyone here can asnwer that. I would alternate between taking 2 and 3 tablets.

MemberMember
(@eatsrainbows)

Posted : 11/04/2013 1:00 pm

It says in the instruction booklet that comes with Roaccutane that you should not take them if the tablets are punctures or damaged (or something along these lines).

Personally, I wouldn't risk cutting them in half, I'd do as the above poster suggested ^^

MemberMember
(@patkluivert)

Posted : 11/04/2013 1:17 pm

Given that I'm three and a half months into the course, surely it would make more sense to go 40mg rather than alternating doses?

My next appointment is Thursday.

MemberMember
(@accutastic)

Posted : 11/05/2013 7:41 pm

I would only do this with a pill cutter. Seems like it would be a lot less trouble to just go ahead with the 20 mg. I have heard that a chopped up accutane pill, tablet, half-drained gelcap, etc can cause major irritation in the throat. If you do decide to do this drink plenty of fluid. :)

MemberMember
(@ballen)

Posted : 11/05/2013 8:42 pm

Given that I'm three and a half months into the course, surely it would make more sense to go 40mg rather than alternating doses?

Why would that make more sense? By doing 40/60, you are getting essentially the right dosage. I don't see anything wrong with it.

What you suggest though, is doing less than you're supposed to.

MemberMember
(@patkluivert)

Posted : 11/06/2013 2:25 pm

Why would that make more sense? By doing 40/60, you are getting essentially the right dosage. I don't see anything wrong with it.

What you suggest though, is doing less than you're supposed to.

My body is already responding to a lower dose of 40mg. I don't want to force another response by suddenly increasing 20m - even if it's only for a day.

Given that I'm three and a half months into a 4 month course, I'd imagine 40mg is more logical. Considering that the dermatologist is likely to reduce my dosage anyway.