Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ST

This is why I am stayin away from Accutane

The only thing that makes me scared when reading this article is the number of people that don't seem to understand causality. Statistics should be required in high school.

This is upsetting. Not only because of the fact that someone committed suicide but because of the fear it invokes in people who need Accutane to avoid the one drug that might get rid of their acne.

I've been hospitalized on three different occassions for suicide attempts and depression prior to even developing severe acne. I've been on Accutane for nearly two months now. My mental state has always been geared towards serious depression and I only felt extremely depressed during the first few weeks of Accutane when I was having my initial breakout and felt hopeless.

The suicide cases that I have heard about as a "result" of Accutane seem to take place during the same exact time as the initial breakout period.

I agree that people on this message board need to be informed of the risks related to Accutane but scaring people isn't being supportive.

1 month down. I am in a great mood because I dont plan my week thinking about how shitty my skin will look.

Listen, I agree with the statistics comment. No causal relationship can be determined. Maybe the antibiotics he took prior to accutane caused his depression? Who knows. God knows I was very depressed while on Minocycline.

Just because people think you're happy and bubbly, as in the case with the medical student you site, does not mean you are. Who wouldn't be depressed with a disfiguring disease like acne? I'm on day 10 of accutane and I actually think that my mood has improved because I know I am being proactive in solving my disease.

When my daughter was worried about getting depressed on accutane, the derm showed her pictures of people with severe acne. The disfiguring kind. He said, "you want to see depressed? this is depressed". Accutane is a blessing from God for people who suffer with acne. I would have taken it in a heartbeat if I'd even known about it when I was 20. Don't take hope away from people. Acne is a curse from the devil.

This article is totally ridiculous. It is a coincidence. If I had bad acne that would make me depressed I would take Acutane right away. The side effects cant be as bad as looking at yourself and being discusted with yourself. Leave them alone with your BS article.

Every article that has to do with someone commiting suicide because of their acne and while they are on Accutane, everybody assumes it's because of the Accutane... but it's NOT! Sure, you become depressed, but it is YOUR fault you didn't get help and couldn't handle it.

They knew the threats of it, and they took it. And Accutane isn't even the reason for it!

The "links" between suicide and Accutane use was one of the biggest scares for me prior to taking the medication due to my history. Thus far, I've been okay although I am popping more Seroquel than before which is basically due to the insomnia aspect of Accutane. I think anyone considering taking Accutane will find more truth in these message boards than they will in over-played, sensationalized media.

And, Smoyle, that was a tad bit agressive. Most people suffering from serious depression are too depressed to get help and also too depressed to kill themselves. A suicide attempt can be considered an attempt at the solution of the depression and someone's will to try it, is also a sign of their desire to end the depression. As for the clinically depressed, they usually don't try it.

Depression is a disease which is often misunderstood and it might be easier for people to blame a particular medication. However, I have sympathy towards the victims of suicide while taking the drug. Unless you've known someone who has killed themselves, maybe it is difficult to appreciate what a gap it leaves in the lives of their loved ones.

As far as them being responsible for "getting help," people suffering from depression and suicide idealogy need all the support they can get. By making them fully responsible for their depression might be putting too much weight on an already burdened individual.

Sorry. Had to rant about that one...