Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

hi - I guess this question is for the women...or anyone who has the information.

The last time I went to my dermatologist, she told me that in order to be prescribed accutane, I had to show proof of being on birth control. This is a problem for me, because of hormonal issues.

I was wondering if this is something I can contest with some "official" information? - Someone told me awhile ago that it's not required to actually be on a medicinal form of birth control, and that you just have to sign a document stating that you are practicing birth control. I've tried to talk about this with my dermatologist, but she seems reluctant to bother with me (I guess she just wants me to get on birth control and forget about it).

I really want to start Accutane, and this is the only thing in my way.

What are your hormonal issues? You know, the pill helps your skin by balancing your hormones.

Having said that it is really imperative that you use 2 types of birth control when you are on Accutane. Lots of girls get preggers on the 'tane despite all the literature you're forced to sign. This is just horrible especially when they want to keep the babies who die pretty soon after birth and come out looking like alien life forms. Your dermo is most likely being so careful because she has seen it happen in her practice. \

If you give us more information we actually might be able to help you.

There are a couple forms of birth control you can use while on accutane, and I don't blame your derm for not going foward with you on accutane if you're not on any birth control. Get on the IUD, thats one form, condoms is a second form. Thats what I use. The IUD has no hormones going into my body, I've got the copper one. If you have hormone issues, not sure exactly what, you should try the IUD out. There are 2 types of IUD's....good luck!

While I understand that there are certain precautions that a doctor must take before giving you a prescription to Accutane, this seems ridiculous. I agree with the above members that there are different types of birth control that you can use. If you can't convince your doctor to prescribe Accutane, and you need it, I would get a second opinion.

Although I work for attorneys, I am really not sure of the legality of a doctor demanding that you are on birth control before obtaining a prescription.

Please keep us posted and I wish you luck!

I went to my derm. yesterday - we had a nice 'chat' about my options - she said she was legally required to prescribe me birth control, but that it was my "choice" to fill the prescription. She gave me a very grave look and said "i'd strongly suggest you get on some form of birth control" - but this is, of course, under the assumption that I have sex with males - which I do not wink.gif

I explained this to her (interesting conversation), as well as the fact that my gynecologist took me off of orthotricyclin awhile back (I was taking it for acne) because it was causing strange fluctuations in my hormones, and I was developing cysts on my ovaries. She gave in, and now all I have to do is go get the blood tests done smile.gif

Pseudokat, good luck and keep us posted on your progress with the Accutane!

P.S. It was my OB/GYN who prescribed my birth control pills, not my dermatologist. Even when I asked my dermatologist to switch the prescription to Yasim, he wouldn't and told me to go see my gynecologist.

Pseudokat, good luck and keep us posted on your progress with the Accutane!

P.S.  It was my OB/GYN who prescribed my birth control pills, not my dermatologist.  Even when I asked my dermatologist to switch the prescription to Yasim, he wouldn't and told me to go see my gynecologist.

There are a couple forms of birth control you can use while on accutane, and I don't blame your derm for not going foward with you on accutane if you're not on any birth control. Get on the IUD, thats one form, condoms is a second form. Thats what I use. The IUD has no hormones going into my body, I've got the copper one. If you have hormone issues, not sure exactly what, you should try the IUD out. There are 2 types of IUD's....good luck!