Notifications
Clear all

What Are My Chances Of Outgrowing Acne?

MemberMember
(@monicalovesben)

Posted : 10/31/2013 8:25 pm

Hi guys! My name is Monica and I'm almost 18 (in a month) and I just wanna know what my chances are on outgrowing this -disease-! Okay so a little background on me...:

I have had acne since I was 12 or 11.. I forget. It's on my upper back and upper arms. I'm hoping my hyperpigmentation will go away too once I stop breaking out.

My mom never once had acne, no one in her family either. They are all clear skinned and she will never ever get it (she's 55 now)

My dad had horrible acne but he outgrew it at 22-23. It has never returned and his face is flawless now. It's so perfect lol and he has to wear sunblock on his face and works in the heat and dirt. And he rarely gets a pimple maybe one in three months. It's so small and unnoticeable it's nothing.

So do you think it's likely mine will leave just like his did? My skin doesn't respond to topical treatments, so I'm taking birth control until it goes away on it's own.

Are my chances high on outgrowing this? I don't mind getting a pre menstrual little break out (like a few pimples on my face) just not crazy acne like I'm going through now!

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 10/31/2013 9:44 pm

I know a lot of people with mild acne who outgrew it completely.

I don't know very many who had moderate or worse acne who ever outgrew it.

It's hard to say who really outgrew it anyway, at least with women. Most women are on birth control by the time they're in college. So did they really outgrow their acne, or just go on birth control for pregnancy prevention and have clear skin as a nice side effect?

MemberMember
(@monicalovesben)

Posted : 10/31/2013 10:00 pm

It's hard to say who really outgrew it anyway, at least with women. Most women are on birth control by the time they're in college. So did they really outgrow their acne, or just go on birth control for pregnancy prevention and have clear skin as a nice side effect?

Hmm.. That's interesting. I'm worried that maybe the bc might prevent me from outgrowing it but the doctor said that it won't. Who can know though! I'm just hoping genetics will help me out here and I'll outgrow since I'm in the mild acne group! Thanks for the reply I appreciate it!

Do you remember the ages that they outgrew it around possibly? Thanks 🙂

MemberMember
(@hoping-for-clear-skin)

Posted : 10/14/2014 12:09 pm

MemberMember
(@acne30-2)

Posted : 10/14/2014 1:21 pm

We can only advise you from our own experiences, we can't say wether you will outgrow acne.

I have suffered from acne some I was 12, should I say acne or teenage spots? It all started with the typical t zone.

Over the years it got worse, from the age of 12 til now 30 I have never have a pimple free face.

My mum, dad and two sisters never suffered but on both sides of the family did I had aunties uncles and grandads who suffered.

The question is do you want to be like me questioning will you ever out grow it?

If it seriously has effects on how you live do something about it now! Don't wait for what ifs like I did! X

MemberMember
(@hoping-for-clear-skin)

Posted : 10/14/2014 1:39 pm

The thing is, there is no cure to acne, so I cant do much about it. I could go on Accutane, but it has loads of side effects and doesnt work for everybody out there. I cant use topicals because I have hypersensitive skin. Topicals make my face red and irritated. I cant go out in the sun because it makes my face red and irritated too. Thank you so much for replying so fast, I appreciate :) makes me feel less alone. I'm going to see a dermatologist in November, hopefully she'll do sthg that could help me mitigate my condition. I dont have severe acne, I would say mine is mild but visible and widespread cuz it covers my whole face (except jawline and temples) i have numerous skin-coloured tiny bumps all over and some of them turn into whiteheads :/