Notifications
Clear all

St. Ives Apricot Scrub Broke Me Out!

MemberMember
(@sterlingmoon)

Posted : 10/31/2013 4:26 pm

I started using the Apricot for my blackheads on my nose only. I would only use a gentle cleanser for my face like Dan from the regimen recommends. He also recommends to stay away from scrubs. I ran out of my cleanser and used the scrub for my face gently. I tend to get carried away so I may have not been so gentle and I started using it once a day to twice a day sometimes for like 2 months probably. I had never really researched about it. Last week I started noticing some skin colored bumps around my jawline. Now I have them on my chine, jawline, cheeks, forehead and even my neck. I couldn't figure out why. Then I remembered I used the product all the way down my neck. I looked up the product and read that it's so bad for your skin. It's too harsh and tears it and makes acne worse. My acne had cleared up and I would only get the occasionally pimples. Now it's so noticeable on certain lighting and I want to know how I can heal from it or get rid of it. I don't want to have bad acne. Please help! Its skin toned bumps all over and its really depressing and embarrassing.

MemberMember
(@acl94536)

Posted : 10/31/2013 9:16 pm

It just sounds like a temporary allergic reaction from what you described. Just stop using the product and I think you will be okay.

MemberMember
(@lifelong-confusion)

Posted : 11/04/2013 8:37 pm

I have sensitive skin and I like St. Ives scrub. Too much of a good thing is almost always a bad thing. I don't use it every day, maybe only a couple times a week at best, and that works just fine for me. I also like to warm up my face first by splashing warm water on it for a couple minutes, and then just gently massage it into my skin instead of vigorously rubbing it in. It's much more effective and less irritating that way.

MemberMember
(@ragejuice)

Posted : 11/10/2013 1:37 pm

I broke out real bad when I was 17 exactly 2 years ago from today. tried proactive (made it worse) and all that stuff. After a year it calmed down and I've just been getting zits here And there. I always have a zit in my face anyways. I'm 19 now. St Ives broke me out as well!!! I use to get the occasional break outs and ever since I started using it I noticed it made my skin worse. It got bad to the point I went to see the derm. They prescribed minocycline 100mg and epiduo. It's been 6 days into it and just little results but the results should be noticeable in 3 more weeks. Well I blame this in st Ives! Ahahah

MemberMember
(@derpface)

Posted : 10/06/2014 12:09 pm

I had the exact same thing happen to me! I used st ives and now have tiny skin colored bumps all over my face and neck. Did you ever find a way to get rid of them? does anybody have any advice?

MemberMember
(@invisiblenetrix)

Posted : 10/07/2014 7:32 am

I made the same mistake 5 years ago and had the exact same reaction. Still get moderate acne but not as severe as during the time I was on that st ivies stuff

MemberMember
(@derpface)

Posted : 10/07/2014 11:44 am

did you just get acne from the st ives or did you get the skin colored bumps that we're talking about? if the skin colored bumps, do you still have those?

I made the same mistake 5 years ago and had the exact same reaction. Still get moderate acne but not as severe as during the time I was on that st ivies stuff

MemberMember
(@justtfx)

Posted : 10/07/2014 8:29 pm

A lot of physical exfoliates are too rough in texture. such as St Ives, the particles have rough edges so it creates micro tears on your skin so dirt and bacteria can get in further. That is why it makes a lot of peoples acne worse. It is NOT recommended for problematic skin.

Most people are over exfoliating anyway. Scrubbing feels great but it might not be the best for your skin. Try to treat it kindly even though it may cause pain in your life if you suffer with acne.

Gentle cleansers are a great idea and play around with chemical exfoliates. Salicylic acid never worked for me but I have had friends that it worked for. I am having good results with a glycolic moisturizer from my derm. You have to find what works for you. Good luck but stay away from harsh scrubs for a while!

MemberMember
(@ripon10)

Posted : 10/07/2014 10:26 pm

Store face products are crap. They do nothing for acne. Acne is BIG business for manufacturers. Keep buying their crap and keeping having acne, which means you'll try more of their crap. You need to use products that are no made by big business. Stop trying to find the cheapest thing you can find on the shelf to be your miracle. It's not there.

MemberMember
(@invisiblenetrix)

Posted : 10/08/2014 6:34 am

did you just get acne from the st ives or did you get the skin colored bumps that we're talking about? if the skin colored bumps, do you still have those?

my initial reaction was a complete cystic acne breakout. Cannot remember if I got skin coloured bumps from it but I get them occasionally nowadays. They're the worst cause I dunno what is underneath them and they take the most time to go away (3-5 months?) At least pimples there be a time u can squeeze and pop them out.

MemberMember
(@derpface)

Posted : 10/08/2014 7:41 am

my initial reaction was a complete cystic acne breakout. Cannot remember if I got skin coloured bumps from it but I get them occasionally nowadays. They're the worst cause I dunno what is underneath them and they take the most time to go away (3-5 months?) At least pimples there be a time u can squeeze and pop them out.

AGREED! at least you know what I am talking about...so I can be relieved these bumps are not here to stay?

MemberMember
(@delovely)

Posted : 10/08/2014 1:43 pm

I'd stay away from any cleanser or face scrub that contains gritty particles, like microbeads, etc., or anything where you're dragging something rough across your skin. Even a soft wash cloth can irritate acne-prone skin and cause breakouts.