Notifications
Clear all

First Time Accutane Use - 31F

MemberMember
(@lovelouisv)

Posted : 10/31/2013 2:11 pm

Hey guys, welcome to my accutane log!

As you can read in the title, this is my first time using accutane. I'm 31 and have suffered with mild to moderate, persistent acne for nearly half of my life - since I was 16. As is the norm when people try accutane for the first time, I've tried everything...antibiotics, OTC and prescription topicals, Proactiv, Clinique, Murad, the OCM, supplements, different masks, crap I've found on Pinterest...honestly, the list goes on and on and on and on and on and I'm sick of trying everything and it working for a couple of weeks and then just failing.

I have actually been lurking on this site on and off since the spring of 2011, reading different user's accutane logs, and researching about accutane in general, but ultimately being scared off by its side effects. But, my most recent breakout was the straw that broke the camel's back (I'll include pictures below - please excuse the no makeup/freshly washed face look). In mid-September after having major allergies and then flying for work, my ears *refused* to pop, and like an idiot, I tried to force them to pop and ended up with an ear infection in *both* ears. Yuck! My GP prescribed me Ceftin, and within like 3 days, my skin was 100% clear. I was FLOORED. Of course, I only took the meds for 10 days and about a week after I stopped taking them, I ended up with one of the worst breakouts I've had in a long time.

I was so frustrated...how did I go from having the most beautiful skin I've had in years, to having the *worst* skin I've had in years, in a matter of a week?

I called and made an appointment with my dermatologist and was going to ask him to prescribe me more ceftin, but after thinking about it I decided it was probably not a good idea to be put on antibiotics long-term, especially when cold/flu season is right around the corner, and particularly when as soon as I got off of it, my breakouts came back with a vengeance.

I figured I'd just mention accutane to him and see what he said...but I figured my case of acne, while persistent, wasn't severe enough to be prescribed accutane.

Neither my dermatologist nor the PA there batted an eyelash when I mentioned it. The PA actually said, "you should've gone on it a long time ago", and my dermatologist actually (jokingly I should add) POKED at one of the cysts on my face while saying, "in order to be a candidate you have to have some cystic acne...AND YOU DO!!!" Talk about mortifying.

So...I signed the iPledge preliminary paperwork and went straight to get the first blood/pregnancy test. In a month, I'll take another one, and I'll take 60mgs/day for 5 months.

I was initially super nervous about the side effects, particularly the increased IBD/Ulcerative Colitis risk that I've read about here on Acne.org, but after digging more into that topic, I found out that the fact I've had an appendectomy actually *decreases* my risk of ever developing UC, so I'm gonna just tell myself that they cancel each other out!!

I'm REEAALLYYY ready to have clear skin and not feel like I have to hide my face from my coworkers/bosses...I'm getting way too freaking old for acne, let me tell you.

I'll be following along with y'all on your journeys, so stop in periodically and say hey! And when I actually start accutane, I'll be updating pretty frequently to keep you all posted on my progress.

Until next time, enjoy the below (horrible) pre-tane selfies!!

post-149680-0-37437100-1383246412.jpgpost-149680-0-86652500-1383246417.jpg

MemberMember
(@ughhhhh)

Posted : 10/31/2013 5:19 pm

Well your doc sounds like an A hole, but I'm glad you're getting the help you want :) Hope you have an easy journey with a fantastic result!

MemberMember
(@solaire)

Posted : 10/31/2013 5:25 pm

Doctors always seem to do those kind of things, point out or make fun of the reason you're actually there to see them for. And they think it's funny... But it's not...

Good luck with Accutane! I'll be revisiting to see your results. I hope you achieve clear skin. :)

MemberMember
(@eatsrainbows)

Posted : 11/02/2013 8:42 am

I finished my course of Accutane a week ago... taking it was the best decision I've ever made. I hope you get the same results :)

MemberMember
(@lovelouisv)

Posted : 11/04/2013 8:56 am

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone! I am seriously counting on you to get through accutane when I actually start in a month.

Speaking of my start date I'm a little worried since it's going to be the same week as Thanksgiving...and then a month later is Christmas. I'm really hoping this won't delay it or cause issues with getting it refilled on time. Does anyone know how this whole thing works? At this point I've only taken the first (of two) blood/pregnancy tests so I'm not sure how it all works with iPledge etc, timing wise.

In the meantime, I'm trying to get my derm to prescribe me an antibiotic to clear my skin. I have an event in Philly this weekend and I really want my skin to look decent for it and not all crazy and broken out! My boyfriend's friends are all going to be there so I just want to look my best.

MemberMember
(@lovelouisv)

Posted : 11/05/2013 11:05 am

Just got a call from the derm - they're putting me on solodyn (minocyclne, which is a tetracycline antibiotic but hey y'all prob knew that) for the time being! I guess I can only take it until I start taking accutane...I read in the little accutane book they gave me that tetracycline antibiotics can increase the pressure in the brain when coupled with accutane saywhat.gif and it's therefore advised that they not be paired together. Scary!!

Anyway...can't wait to start it...skin has cleared up a bit since I posted pictures the other day, but still getting new pimples seemingly every day, even extending to my shoulders/back. cry.gif Sighhhh...

Here's hoping it works!! eusa_pray.gif I'll keep y'all posted!

Oh yeah...I got my iPledge thing in the mail, just passwords etc. I guess I have to register? I'm still confused about the timing of it all...

MemberMember
(@lovelouisv)

Posted : 11/11/2013 10:42 am

I've been on the minocycline since last Tuesday. Wednesday and Thursday I felt extremely dizzy and lightheaded, but I guess that must've been my body adjusting to the meds. Skin seems to be clearing up a bit.

Just found out via iPledge that the earliest I can take my next pregnancy test is Nov 29th, i.e. Black Friday. Here's hoping LabCorps is open that day! So I guess that means I prob won't even start accutane until sometime in the beginning of December.

I've been thinking a lot about what my skincare regime is going to entail once I start accutane. Right now, it's as follows:

AM

"Wash" face with water only in shower

Alpha Hydrox 10% AHA gel

Murad SPF 30 Vitamin C moisturizer

Caress body wash

Eucerin Skin Calming moisturizer for body

Makeup

Makeup Forever Mat Velvet +

MAC Mineralize Skinfinish

Bobbi Brown bronzer

Tarte Amazonian Clay blush

PM

Baby shampoo to remove eye makeup

Wash face with Clinique Wash Away gel cleanser (this stuff is awesome - takes away all makeup)

Retin-A

Weekly

Origins Clear Improvement Charcoal Mask

Murad Acne Clarifying Mask

Biore pore strips

Clarisonic

Occasional

Aloe vera gel (when skin is super irritated)

Clinique Dramatically Different Moisutrizing Gel

Murad Sulfur Acne Spot Treatment

Clearasil Ultra Vanishing Acne Treatment Cream

I have admittedly been slacking on my AHA and Retin-A since my most recent breakout and subbing in the Aloe Vera and Clinique DDM gels, and I've also been slacking on washing my face at night, too. Not the greatest idea, but my skin was SO angry I wanted to give it a break, and it seemed to work...as mentioned above, my skin is clearing up a bit. Still not totally 100% clear but now I feel as though I can relax knowing accutane is just around the corner.

I'm wondering how the above is going to change...I'm guessing not much. I guess I'll probably ditch the AHA and retinols once my skin starts getting super dry, but those are both great skincare products that I use more for anti-aging purposes anyway and will continue to use post-accutane.

One other thing I noticed is that everyone says they use Aquaphor for their lips. Why is Aquaphor better than Vaseline or good old fashioned ChapStick (both of which I'm an avid fan of)?

And I use the Refresh Optive Lubricant Eye Drops since I already have dry eyes, I'm thinking I'll need to switch over to the gel version or use the drops more frequently.

Anyway...that's enough of a brain dump for one day. Hope everything is going well with you all!!

MemberMember
(@lilem13)

Posted : 11/11/2013 5:39 pm

Hi - saw your posts. Also 31, just started accutane @ 40 mg per day on 10/28. Have similar fair, sensitive skin to yours with redness. So far I'm suffering through the initial breakout, which is not fun. Hoping this is a permanent cure! Anyway, hope your month prior to accutane goes quickly! It was a painful wait for the second pregnancy test. Feel free to ask any questions.

MemberMember
(@kelsey)

Posted : 11/13/2013 4:18 pm

I have a question about this too!

I've been on the minocycline since last Tuesday. Wednesday and Thursday I felt extremely dizzy and lightheaded, but I guess that must've been my body adjusting to the meds. Skin seems to be clearing up a bit.

Just found out via iPledge that the earliest I can take my next pregnancy test is Nov 29th, i.e. Black Friday. Here's hoping LabCorps is open that day! So I guess that means I prob won't even start accutane until sometime in the beginning of December.

I've been thinking a lot about what my skincare regime is going to entail once I start accutane. Right now, it's as follows:

AM

"Wash" face with water only in shower

Alpha Hydrox 10% AHA gel

Murad SPF 30 Vitamin C moisturizer

Caress body wash

Eucerin Skin Calming moisturizer for body

Makeup

Makeup Forever Mat Velvet +

MAC Mineralize Skinfinish

Bobbi Brown bronzer

Tarte Amazonian Clay blush

PM

Baby shampoo to remove eye makeup

Wash face with Clinique Wash Away gel cleanser (this stuff is awesome - takes away all makeup)

Retin-A

Weekly

Origins Clear Improvement Charcoal Mask

Murad Acne Clarifying Mask

Biore pore strips

Clarisonic

Occasional

Aloe vera gel (when skin is super irritated)

Clinique Dramatically Different Moisutrizing Gel

Murad Sulfur Acne Spot Treatment

Clearasil Ultra Vanishing Acne Treatment Cream

I have admittedly been slacking on my AHA and Retin-A since my most recent breakout and subbing in the Aloe Vera and Clinique DDM gels, and I've also been slacking on washing my face at night, too. Not the greatest idea, but my skin was SO angry I wanted to give it a break, and it seemed to work...as mentioned above, my skin is clearing up a bit. Still not totally 100% clear but now I feel as though I can relax knowing accutane is just around the corner.

I'm wondering how the above is going to change...I'm guessing not much. I guess I'll probably ditch the AHA and retinols once my skin starts getting super dry, but those are both great skincare products that I use more for anti-aging purposes anyway and will continue to use post-accutane.

One other thing I noticed is that everyone says they use Aquaphor for their lips. Why is Aquaphor better than Vaseline or good old fashioned ChapStick (both of which I'm an avid fan of)?

And I use the Refresh Optive Lubricant Eye Drops since I already have dry eyes, I'm thinking I'll need to switch over to the gel version or use the drops more frequently.

Anyway...that's enough of a brain dump for one day. Hope everything is going well with you all!!

I've been wondering about this too!! I got my first blood test on October 15, and my second is scheduled for Monday. What happens then? I live 2 hours from my derm, and I took time after that first appointment to think about whether or not I wanted to go on accutane. I decided I did, called her, and had my first blood test. I signed one form she sent in the mail and got my iPledge ID and password. What happens after my second pregnancy test? Do I go see her again/will I start??

MemberMember
(@lovelouisv)

Posted : 11/14/2013 10:35 am

@Kelsey: Yeah, who knows...I guess we'll see! You probably will know before I do so please keep me posted on how it works! :)

MemberMember
(@jonboystyle)

Posted : 11/22/2013 1:31 pm

Good luck LoveLouisV!

MemberMember
(@lovelouisv)

Posted : 11/25/2013 10:52 am

@jonboystyle thanks!!

So...not much to update on. Still taking the minocycline. Skin is relatively clear, but not 100%. Better than it was, but I still am getting the occasional zit.

This past Saturday night I was watching a movie at home and happened to reach up to scratch my eye or something and noticed a zit that wasn't there an hour or two before, it had literally formed over the course of two hours or so. So I went to the bathroom and proceeded to "attack" it (I know...for shame eusa_doh.gif ), and when I squeezed it, it was painful and blood shot out! Today it's still a hard lump under my skin...not super raised, but very red, difficult to cover up with makeup, and still very painful. I'm thinking of asking my derm if I can get a cortisone shot for it, but we'll see...I'm trying to wait it out! I've put topical cortisone, BP, and sulfur acne medicine on it thus far and to no avail. It's seriously the weirdest thing...

Anyway, taking my pregnancy test this Friday. Not sure what the order of operations will be after that, I guess I'll get a call from my derm confirming that they got the results and then make an appointment with them? And I know I have to fit the iPledge questions in there somewhere too, right? Meh, I just want to start already and get any and all IB's over and done with and be clear already! This wait is excruciating!!

Hope y'all are doing well with your accutane courses, I will be reading your logs and checking in with you! Good luck everyone!

MemberMember
(@firsttimeaccutane)

Posted : 11/27/2013 12:06 am

Hey, so i just started my accutane first week of november. im 22years old. will be 23 soon. male.

my story is that i was on solodon (minocycline) for about 2 years from my freshman year in college to the end of my third year. then i went off of it (was sick abroad) or changed to generic form of solodon with 100mg version iono what it was but my liver enzymes went up. so then i went off of everything until my liver enzymes were down to normal. (i was only using topical benzaclin which is a decent topical for small acne/non-cystic). face somehow cleared up to a decent degree (still the 1-2 cystic acne that rose up every week or other week). then that fall of my senior year my face sorta cleaned up. but have you i had a tendency to wash my face every 4-5 hours with a harsh cleaner (lever 2000) and i never moisterized thinking that it would cause more acne. okay so i kept at that same topical of benzaclin and face sorta stayed clean but i had to wash it every 4-5 horus which was annoying and not ALWAYS possible. so time went and flare ups got real bad last februray till may and then stayeed okay over the summer. then in this fall i started Medical school and well i tried to see if i could handle with the same regiment and well it didnt work. still kept getting the 1-2 cystic acne - midn you my face was never incredibly bad (maybe when i was 18-19) BUT, i had 1-2 cysts at a time that would tehn rotate as soon as one got off, another would pop up and a VERY VERY oily face that was so annoying. so i decided enough was enough and went on accutane.

my experience so far is.. yes ive had a few bumps pop up more than regularly but it hasnt been a CRAZY IB. I just had one pop up on my nose which is kinda annoying but i think it will go away soon ( i hope so). i kept using the benzaclin at night i had even when i started accutane (because my face was still oily and derm said it would take a week to start getting dry (my face got dry 2 weeks into it (as in i didnt need to wash it every 4-5 hours)). to moisturize i use bepanthol (which i had lying around from a while ago i ordered off the interent (its only sold in the UK and europe - i believe but its used a lot for people after they get tattoes and it doesnt stick to your skin its really absorbed in). the doc recommends ceravi which i bought, chapstick (my LIPS started to get dry 1 week in but not terribly. 2nd week they got a lot more drier. and i needed to put the chapstick on. this thursday will be week 3. and i started to put aquaphor lipbalm on there ITS REALLY GOOD but im a guy so i try to stick to the chapstick during the day and aquaphor at night. BTW. im on 40mg of absorica (20mg in the mornign and 20mg at night - its the best version of isotretinoin so if u can get that, GET THAT. dont compromise other generic brands that dont use the same delievery method with the fat soluble deliever capsle technology that they use). WHICH..

brings me to my point for you.

1) i had a headache with insurance and getting approval. with my blue cross blue shield insurance the doc had to preapprove the drug so when i brought it to teh pharmacy, the pharmacist had to call the docs office and had the docs send paperwork to the insruance company that approved it but it took a couple of days so when your doc says GO, make sure your insurance company doesnt require this step (cuz this could put u back a few days)

2) im going up to 60mg i think towards the end, and my doc was saying 6 months but i saw on teh preauthorization they only authroized up to 5 months or w.e. and im not sure its the same dosage but ill figure it out once my doc decides to up the dosage.

3) so far im on week 3 and IB has been bearable - not the best but im just glad i dont have to keep washing my face and its doesnt seem all to bad! with that said i havent really had mood changes (maybe slightly but i havent noticed anything really - the doc said that was expected - but i also just started anatomy in med school so taht could be it). in fact if anything, ive been much happier about not having to wash my face and knowing everythings UPHILL from here.

4) ask your doc but i read somehwere about being off of minocylcine for a bit before you start accutane. i know for sure you cant be on them at the same time cuz that could lead to intercranial pressure and dammage to teh brain BUT.. i read (did my research ebfore starting accutane) that you had to be off of minocyline for like 8 weeks? but that seemed crazy since a lot of people were on it for a bit before starting accutane. iono just double check.

that is all. GOOD LUCK and happy thanksgiving!

@jonboystyle thanks!!

So...not much to update on. Still taking the minocycline. Skin is relatively clear, but not 100%. Better than it was, but I still am getting the occasional zit.

This past Saturday night I was watching a movie at home and happened to reach up to scratch my eye or something and noticed a zit that wasn't there an hour or two before, it had literally formed over the course of two hours or so. So I went to the bathroom and proceeded to "attack" it (I know...for shame eusa_doh.gif ), and when I squeezed it, it was painful and blood shot out! Today it's still a hard lump under my skin...not super raised, but very red, difficult to cover up with makeup, and still very painful. I'm thinking of asking my derm if I can get a cortisone shot for it, but we'll see...I'm trying to wait it out! I've put topical cortisone, BP, and sulfur acne medicine on it thus far and to no avail. It's seriously the weirdest thing...

Anyway, taking my pregnancy test this Friday. Not sure what the order of operations will be after that, I guess I'll get a call from my derm confirming that they got the results and then make an appointment with them? And I know I have to fit the iPledge questions in there somewhere too, right? Meh, I just want to start already and get any and all IB's over and done with and be clear already! This wait is excruciating!!

Hope y'all are doing well with your accutane courses, I will be reading your logs and checking in with you! Good luck everyone!

MemberMember
(@lovelouisv)

Posted : 12/02/2013 10:30 am

Thanks so much for your comment, firsttimeaccutane. I stopped taking the minocycline yesterday as it wasn't really doing anything for my skin anyway. Kinda disappointing, really, but just confirms that I do need to be on accutane.

So...I did my bloodwork late Friday afternoon. I'm assuming my derm will get the results today or tomorrow, and I guess they'll call me and I'll go in for an appointment, answer some questions on the iPledge site, and pick up my script, hopefully by the end of the week. Keep your fingers crossed for me! I'm seriously ready to get this shit over with...I'm SO sick of dealing with acne!!

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 12/02/2013 2:02 pm

My appointment to start accutane is December 23rd (which makes me kind of nervous about being able to fill my Rx in time, here is to hoping pharmacies are open christmas eve!), so we'll be starting around the same time. Good luck, and don't forget to update! :))

MemberMember
(@lovelouisv)

Posted : 12/02/2013 7:34 pm

Ahhhhh you better do a log, megtree!! I will absolutely be updating with my progress! Stay tuned, my friend!

megtree liked
MemberMember
(@firsttimeaccutane)

Posted : 12/02/2013 8:47 pm

also, just got my blood work done today for the monthly check up..

this is what my doc and i do if it is a hassle for you to do appointmnets on the dot. i meet with her every 3-4 weeks, before the monthly needed refill. then I get the blood work done like 3-4 days before the refill is needed. and once she gets the results she will put it into the system to say okay so taht ipledge allows teh pharmacist to refill.

i called up the insurance company and it looks like they are all go for the next 6 months and dosage doesnt matter - w.e. my doc wants to put me on they will approve apparently - but of course that depends per insurance company.

my face got better since last week, really quite remarkable. and i can almost certainly say now, NO MOOD CHANGES on 40mg a day (20mg mornin and 20mg at night). my doc said thats really dosage dependent so i might experience something at 60mg or still no mood changes then. but i will be on 40mg for another month - she wanted to bump me up to 60mg but i asked if i could stay on 40mg for another month to play it safe (and she said that was cool). i just want to be sure nothing serious happens and that seems liek a good idea.

my nose has been a little drier - i was never one to get a stuffy nose really - maybe occasionally. but anyway so i asked the doc and she said just get a saline nose spray from teh local walgreens/cvs and u can pump that in. it will prevent nose bleeds.

she also said if dryness becomes a real problem for other parts of teh body - vitamin e can be taken supplemently (iono how much) but she said that you should take that only if you need to, not if you dont (im thinking since you are arleady taxing your liver no need to tax it more just for a little dry skin - JUST MOISTERIZE MORE)

ive also only been washing my face really 2 times a day - morning and night. occasionally 3x but thats so much more conveinetn for me - also moisturize after each wash. cera-ve seems to be what my doc recommended. but ive been using up the left over bepanthol (from europe that i had) but i will start with cerave soon.

also of course you know but no alcohol! i would prob recommend no alcohol for at least a couple months after treatmnet as well. but who cares about alcohol anyway. youve got teh rest of your life to drink if u really wanted to...

lips are drier but i use blistex chapstick and the aquaphore at night. since your a female i would prob just buy the aquaphore tube made for the lips (i think its called lip repair) and use that - it looks shiny so for guys its weird. but of course mgiht want to wait till your lips get dry to put that stuff on. no need to put crap on it when its fine.

good luck with the results and soon start!

MemberMember
(@emmygirl)

Posted : 12/03/2013 2:27 am

My appointment to start accutane is December 23rd (which makes me kind of nervous about being able to fill my Rx in time, here is to hoping pharmacies are open christmas eve!), so we'll be starting around the same time. Good luck, and don't forget to update! smile.png)

I'm starting Accutane on the 23rd also! I have been counting down the days, only THREE more weeks! I was also really concerned about Christmas and pharmacies because they will have to do blood work and that usually takes a day or two to get the results, then it's Christmas. But we have 7 days so hopefully it won't cause any delays or problems. Good luck to everyone, these personal logs are so helpful to know others are going through the exact same things. :)

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 12/03/2013 1:05 pm

Ahhhhh you better do a log, megtree!! I will absolutely be updating with my progress! Stay tuned, my friend!

Oh I will! I'm nervous but SO excited.

My appointment to start accutane is December 23rd (which makes me kind of nervous about being able to fill my Rx in time, here is to hoping pharmacies are open christmas eve!), so we'll be starting around the same time. Good luck, and don't forget to update! smile.png)

I'm starting Accutane on the 23rd also! I have been counting down the days, only THREE more weeks! I was also really concerned about Christmas and pharmacies because they will have to do blood work and that usually takes a day or two to get the results, then it's Christmas. But we have 7 days so hopefully it won't cause any delays or problems. Good luck to everyone, these personal logs are so helpful to know others are going through the exact same things. smile.png

Wow, we'll be 'tane sisters! Hopefully everything works out. I am going to get my blood-work done a few days before, and then my P-test the day of, I guess. Did you have to do anything special with your insurance (not sure if you are in the US)? I understand it would be different coverage for different insurance companies, but I guess I just assumed my doctor had experience working with insurance and would let me know if having to double check with them is common practice. I suppose I should probably call my insurance and ask before the holidays get too close!

MemberMember
(@stripes)

Posted : 12/03/2013 3:03 pm

Good luck with your treatment LoveLouisV. I'm 36, acne for 23 years and preparing for a Dec start too, the 14th, should everything go right with my blood tests. And now that I'm over my mini-freakout.

I'll be following you - and emmygirl and megtree too.

smile.png

MemberMember
(@goirish)

Posted : 12/03/2013 3:13 pm

That's interesting that your doctor prescribed Solodyn leading up to Accutane. I was taking Solodyn when I wanted to start accutane, but my derm made me wait another 4 weeks before taking accutane for the reason you mentioned. Maybe she is just over-paranoid? But I've been on Accutane a month now and my head hasn't popped like a balloon yet so all is well so far!

MemberMember
(@lovelouisv)

Posted : 12/04/2013 12:12 pm

Thanks Stripes...are you planning on doing a log to document your progress? If so I'll be following along!

firsttimeaccutane - that sounds like a good strategy with the scheduling of appointments. Still haven't heard from my derm but I'm going to call them during my lunch break today.

goirish - I was concerned with the brain pressure/tetracycline thing, I read about it in the brochure they gave me on accutane. So I stopped taking it a few days ago; hopefully it'll be well out of my system before I start. I kind of wanted him to prescribe me Ceftin but the NP said that it's rarely prescribed for acne (despite what I've read online; one of it's indications is skin issues including acne, and it worked perfectly on my skin but whatever) so I doubt she even told my derm to prescribe that for me. I kinda want to go on it when I first start accutane to reduce the possibility of a bad IB but I also kind of want to just let the accutane do it's job so I can attribute any "success" I have with the drug solely to accutane and nothing else. Plus I'm scared that if I take ceftin and then go off it, my skin will break out once I'm off it like it did last time I was prescribed it (for a non-acne related issue).

Good luck everyone!! smile.png

EDIT: Just found out my dermatologist got my bloodwork and made an appointment with them tomorrow (I had to call *them*). Went online to iPledge to answer the weird ass questions and found out that I have until tomorow at midnight to pick up my 'script!! WTF??!! I didn't realize it was such a short turnaround between bloodwork and picking up the 'script and it kinda pisses me off that my derm didn't call me to let me know they got my bloodwork. If I hadn't called them and then gone online to iPledge I wouldn't have known about the deadline! Grrr.... angry.png The silver lining is that I'll be starting tomorrow!!! YAAAYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 12/04/2013 4:00 pm

LouisLouisV and goirish, I have been taking low-dose doxycycline now for a while to help with inflammation, and my dermatologist said that I could continue taking it up to the day I start accutane. Of course, he also said (in a very loud, authoritative voice): "YOU MUST STOP EVERYTHING WHEN YOU START ACCUTANE". Of course, I am on a very low dose, so I assume that is another reason he isn't too concerned about me taking it before I start.

On a separate note: Is anyone doing anything to prepare before starting? I.e. - changes in routines and regimens, stocking up on certain products, avoiding eating certain things? I am noticing that individuals who say they "prepared" ahead of time seem to have a more positive experience.

MemberMember
(@lovelouisv)

Posted : 12/04/2013 4:34 pm

LouisLouisV and goirish, I have been taking low-dose doxycycline now for a while to help with inflammation, and my dermatologist said that I could continue taking it up to the day I start accutane. Of course, he also said (in a very loud, authoritative voice): "YOU MUST STOP EVERYTHING WHEN YOU START ACCUTANE". Of course, I am on a very low dose, so I assume that is another reason he isn't too concerned about me taking it before I start.

On a separate note: Is anyone doing anything to prepare before starting? I.e. - changes in routines and regimens, stocking up on certain products, avoiding eating certain things? I am noticing that individuals who say they "prepared" ahead of time seem to have a more positive experience.

I honestly don't know what I'm going to be using, product-wise. I've broken out when using CeraVe and Aveeno and other products that people have recommended so I think I'm just going to keep using the products I'm using now that work for me and see how that goes. If I end up needing additional products (i.e. something more moisturizing) throughout my course, I'll adjust as necessary.

But I did go ahead and purchase the gel eyedrops (it's Refresh brand) because I've already been diagnosed with dry eyes like a year ago (and astigmatism and I can't wear contacts due to the dry eyes - thank you desk job!!). So that's the only product I've bought solely in preparation for Accutane, and I gotta say - I do prefer the gel drops 'cause they stay in your eyes better (other drops kind of ooze out and the gel ones do not).

I am currently using regular ol' ChapStick and will continue using it until it no longer does the job and at that point I'll jump on the Aquaphor bandwagon I guess.

MemberMember
(@emmygirl)

Posted : 12/04/2013 6:52 pm

Oh I will! I'm nervous but SO excited.

>

I'm starting Accutane on the 23rd also! I have been counting down the days, only THREE more weeks! I was also really concerned about Christmas and pharmacies because they will have to do blood work and that usually takes a day or two to get the results, then it's Christmas. But we have 7 days so hopefully it won't cause any delays or problems. Good luck to everyone, these personal logs are so helpful to know others are going through the exact same things. smile.png

Wow, we'll be 'tane sisters! Hopefully everything works out. I am going to get my blood-work done a few days before, and then my P-test the day of, I guess. Did you have to do anything special with your insurance (not sure if you are in the US)? I understand it would be different coverage for different insurance companies, but I guess I just assumed my doctor had experience working with insurance and would let me know if having to double check with them is common practice. I suppose I should probably call my insurance and ask before the holidays get too close!

Hooray MegTree, we HAVE to keep each other posted! It will be so nice to have someone on the exact same track as me, and I see you are also 26 years old! I am TOO. It's craziness. I'm so excited, we're down to 19 days!